“Great location, Pittsburgh a wonderful host!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown

You added Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown to your Saves list
Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Commonwealth Place, Gateway Ctr, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
“Great location, Pittsburgh a wonderful host!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Our weekend trip was acquired from Priceline, and the hotel was in a prime location. The hotel is undergoing a remodeling, and we had a corner room on 14th floor. Clean and comfortable, my only wish was the bathroom was tiny!! Easily the smallest bathroom I've stayed in. that being said. everything was cleaned comfortable and we enjoyed the view from the walls of Windows. we took a game in at pnc park, and walked the highlights of pgh. We loved the strip district with the next breakfast Pamela's - totally worth the wait, Shilohs on Mt. Washington, pumpkin sangria is incredible, as are the wings. Lifehouse played after the game, and Pittsburgh hosted an incredible fireworks display, wow! Hat a delightful city with a great transit system for navigating the highlights! The wyndham is a great hotel in the heart of it all.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I wasn't impressed with the Windham Grand. The rooms were small so we upgraded to a suite. The bed were very uncomfortable. The room is not very soundproof. They did not clean my room until 9:00 pm after 3 requests to have it cleaned. The air conditioning worked well in half of the suite.
It's location is perfect for all that the city has to offer though. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Valet parking is $28 a night.

Room Tip: Use Priceline to book your room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hello! Thank you for staying with us! We are very happy to see that you upgraded to a suite. We apologize for any delay with our Housekeeping Team, we will follow up on this, thank you for bringing this to our attention. It is great to see that our staff was friendly and welcoming! We hope to be able to welcome you again in the future!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Simon, London UK

I didnt really know what to expect as I had read good/bad reviews over the months of this hotel.
I knew before hand that the hotel was being renovated so there would be some disruption. I had a 2 day stay 11/12 Sept as I was seeing RUSH at the Consol. The foyer floor was being retiled but was roped off properly. I asked for River view as this was recommended. I had lovely room good size with 2 double beds and a nice view albeit floor 4 which you couldnt see river but still had a good view of the hills and parkland.
I had a peaceful and relaxing 2 days there and found no dust or noisy people etc from other reviews. Considering rock fans were in town it did seem quiet. After coming from DC where I was paying the same price for inferior hotel I consider the Wyndham good value for what I received. It may be a problem staying elsewhere in the building from other reviews but at least you didnt have to wait to 5am to get some sleep like I did at classy Palmer House Hilton in Chicago!!!!!!
I would also recommend Cherries Diner at 212 Forbes Avenue about 8 mins walk from hotel for lovely english style breakfast at $9 inc endless coffee.

Room Tip: Ask for river view for a nice view but higher than floor 8-ask front desk which floor you can see ri...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Welcome!

Thank you very much for staying with us! We are proud to have had you as our guest and we hope you had a great time at the concert! We are very pleased to see that you enjoyed our beautiful views and that our team was able to upgrade you. Thank you for sharing your great feedback! We hope to have you as our guest again in the future!

Thank you again for staying with us!

Have a great day!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The location of the Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown is convientient, the room was contemorary in styling, it was clean, the temperature was easy to control...all good things. However there was a downside. I asked for a wakeup call and didn't get it, you have to go to an out of the way business center to print a boarding pass and the service in the dining room took absolutely forever. I would give it an average rating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Welcome! Thank you for staying with us! We are very pleased to see that you enjoyed our perfect location! Thank you as well for your great feedback about our rooms. We are making many upgrades and we are happy to see that you enjoyed what we have accomplished thus far. There are many more great things to come as well!

We are very sorry for you not getting your wake up call. We have not had any issues with this service previously, therefore we will have our teams investigate this issue. Thank you for brining it to our attention.

We hope to have you as our guest again in the future. Have a wonderful day!

North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at the Grand Wyndham in Pittsburgh in mid-September. My travel company booked it as all hotels closer to Carnegie-Melon U. were full.
The hotel is undergoing remodeling, so there is a lot of construction going on. Redirection through lobbies, doors, some floors closed off, etc.
Despite the remodeling, the hotel building is OLD, with small rooms, small bathrooms, small tubs/showers, etc. And paper-thin walls where you can hear every noise next/above/below your room. No matter how pretty the make it with remodeling, the rooms will STILL be small. I think a better long-term investment would be to enlarge/combine the rooms, or tear it all down and start over again.
The location was nice, close to the downtown restaurants, theaters, etc. Easy highway access.
The staff was very nice, friendly, helpful. Did a great job with what they have.
But no amount of niceness makes up for the OLD style building design.
I would have preferred to stay at a new budget hotel chain with larger rooms/bathrooms, etc.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room AWAY from any construction!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hello!

Thank you very much for staying with us! It was great being your home away from home while you were on your journey. Thank you for your feedback about our renovations. We are in the process of updating almost every part of our hotel and we are very excited to offer many great services and amenities to our guests.

Thank you for your great feedback about our staff! This is great to see! We will ensure that they are commended for doing a great job!

We do hope that you will choose to return to our hotel in the future to see our great upgrades!

Thank you again and have a wonderful day!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I am so glad I booked only one night. BIG, HUGE disappointment. The hotel is under construction (inside and outside) and there is no sign of it on any booking sites. You book this hotel without knowing that there will be a huge inconvenience – noise, dust, messy reception area and lobby, no access to the door you need, etc. No apologies from the staff and if you ask they just say “we apologize’. No discounts or refunds – you pay for the luxury hotel and find yourself in the middle of the mess.
Hope people read reviews before they book Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown or any other Wyndham hotel (their headquarters does not care either).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mike D, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Welcome!

Thank you for staying with us! We appreciate your business and sharing your feedback.

We would like to sincerely apologize for any issue our construction may have caused. As we are in the process of upgrading every part of our hotel, our renovations do not affect our guest room areas and tower. We are very excited for all of the amazing changes that we are making to the hotel and again we are sorry for the condition in which our lobby was. We are happy to say that our lobby area is completed.

We do hope to have you as our guest again in the future as we are proud to show off all of our upgrades.

Hopewell, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

There were several problems, both reported and not. As each of the early problems were reported (mold in ice bucket, bedside phone completely broken) we noticed that staff at first seemed responsive, but then acted like we were being overly picky. The level of responsiveness and attitude was not at ALL what I expect when I stay at Wyndham.

The bell staff I reported the ice bucket problem to took the bucket, but did not follow through and request another. When I called the front desk to inquire about getting another, they said they would have one sent up, but couldn't possibly get someone to fill it with ice for us as well.

When we reported the telephone problem, the repair person was very quick to respond (probably because we went to the front desk), but when in the room as he realized that the phone was actually fully broken, the repair man suggested that we should make do with the desk phone. I found this snarky attitude really awful, and again not what I'd expect from Wyndham. The front desk manager did give us one full buffet ticket for our trouble with the phone, which was nice (even though there were two of us staying).

We didn't report the moldy-look in the corners of the shower, as we realized it probably just needs a re-grout. We didn't report the disappointment that the pool and jacuzzi, listed as available on the website, were completely under construction. I have a severe chronic pain condition and was looking forward to the ability to swim and soak to recover from the 6 hour drive to Pittsburg - sorely disappointed.

I also did not report, initially, a problem with being able to order movies or view my bill on the in-room TV. I finally reported this to (a female) from Guest Services when she called me to ask about any problems during my stay. She transferred me to the front desk, who then transferred me to (a male) in Guest Services who transferred me to someone else. Finally, whoever the 3rd transfer person was, they were able to reset my account so that I could order an in-room movie. When I called back about an hour later, the original female in Guest Services was surprised that I had to go through so much to get my account reset. Truthfully, someone in Guest Services (any and all of them) should've been able to handle the problem themselves, or handle it and call me back to let me know it was complete. Again, not what I expect from Wyndham.

The maid staff was excellent, and the room service waiter awesome both times we had room service. The bell staff when I checked out was excellent, calling the valet for me and coming up to get my bags with perfect timing. The only other thing I noticed that was wrong was that when we first got to our room, there seemed to be a very limited number of towels, and there was no black comforter strip as I had seen when walking past other rooms being cleaned. Were we given an off-sized and off-outfitted room because of the low room rate given (a corporate rate)? It just didn't feel like normal levels of service for Wyndham.

One further note: replying to Wyndham's calls and follow-up request for completing a survey, including all of the above information, yielded NO response from the hotel or from Wyndham corporate. Seriously, what's happened to this brand?

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevators - some rooms are a very looooong walk.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello!

Thank you very much for staying with us! It was our pleasure having you as our guest. Thank you as well for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry for the issues that you found in your guest room. Please know that we find this unacceptable as our standards for our guest rooms are very high. We have shared your feedback with our teams and have address these issues accordingly and made all corrections.

We also would like to apologize for any delay in getting a resolution to your billing. We do respond to all online surveys within 24 hours via email or phone, depending on the listed preference for communication.

We do hope that you will choose our hotel the next time your travel plans bring you to Pittsburgh. We are in the process of upgrading all areas of our hotel and adding many new and exciting services.

The Wyndham Grand Management Team

Been to Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown? Share your experiences!