“Fine accommodations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center

You added Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center to your Saves list
Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Lytton Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 (North Oakland)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #29 of 56 Hotels in Pittsburgh
“Fine accommodations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Honestly, to be a Wyndham, I was surprised out how plain everything was, from the small lobby and check-in counter -- where the decor seemed a little worn and outdated -- to the serviceable room. The location was outstanding, for sure -- tons of restaurant options nearby, plus proximity to Carnegie Mellon and University of Pittsburgh for business. The hosts were knowledgeable and pleasant.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Despite being across the parking lot from a hospital (and it's poorly run parking garage where you can park your car but never, apparently, be certain of getting it out), and all the ADA features in the rooms, and the medical-skewed events in the lobby, the rooms, once you're in them, aren't too bad. Water pressure is laughable and when a lot of people are taking showers at once, it's less like a shower and more like being dribbled on. My television reception for my $16 in-room movie rental was so bad that I couldn't read the main credits. I also left a breakfast menu on my door that was never picked up (which is a first, in all the many hotels I've stayed in over the years), but room service had my breakfast to me very quickly, so that was no big deal. Not a fun place to stay by any means, but if you have the bad fortune of visiting during graduation week and everything near the school is booked, you could do worse than this soulless but not execrable property.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

From all the hotels in Pittsburgh I choose to stay at the Wyndham University Center every week. The hotel, staff and service are exceptional. The staff make me feel at home. I'd like to thank GM Coleman together with Lauren Gloria, Leslie, Cynthia, Mary and Stephanie -- you make my stay special. I appreciate all you do.

Chet Warzynski

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Lancaster, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

It seems as though when most hotels upgrade their facilities, they are more concerned about aesthetics than function. What a welcome relief it was to find that the bathroom in the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center is functional. They have a tub/shower combo that most hotels are doing away with. The shower curtain was long enough to stay in the bathtub AND it had magnets at the bottom. There was a corner shelf in the shower that had a solid bottom so the bar of soap didn't slide through AND the shelf was mounted high enough up that it wasn't in the stream of shower water. The towels were reachable from the shower. There was a hook for your bathrobe, clothes, etc. The vanity top was large enough to hold a toiletry bag and then some. Definitely room for two people to use the vanity/mirror at the same time. The only thing missing that I would have liked is a make-up mirror.

This hotel also has a convenient shuttle service with a very nice driver.

My only complaint is about the front desk staff. When I checked in, there were two people working the front desk and each of them were attending to a guest. I was next in line with two more people behind me. The young man (short with a clean shaven head) at the desk was friendly and expeditious. The woman (tall, long dark brown hair, glasses) was spending so much time chatting with her guest that those of us in line were really getting irritated. it's nice that you visited the same place as a guest, but when there is a line of people waiting, you need to end the personal conversation and take care of the customers. The young man finished the guest in front of me, took care of me and was almost finished with the next guest before this woman stopped her chatter.

The second poor experience I had at the desk was an evening when I went to the desk to purchase a beverage from the snack kiosk and to ask for an additional night stay. There was one girl at the desk, younger, with very long blonde hair. A young couple was at the desk and couldn't decide if they wanted to book a room or not. And there was one other person ahead of me in line. The clerk was very patient with them and answered all of their questions. The couple finally decided they were going to go somewhere else. So then the clerk took care of the guest in front of me. Just as I was approaching the desk, the young couple walked back in and went straight up to the desk and declared that they DID want a room after all. Instead of asking them to wait a moment so that she could assist me (she could see I was standing there with beverages in my hand), she assisted them and it was VERY lengthy. She didn't even acknowledge me standing there waiting. Finally after 20 minutes in line, I was able to pay for my beverages and add an extra night onto my stay. But the story doesn't end here. The next evening upon returning to my room, tired and with many items in my hands, I got to my room and my swipe key didn't work. She had forgotten to update it. So I had to carry all of my things downstairs and wait in line yet again to have my card taken care of.

You really need to address some BASIC issues with your front desk staff. I would have given a higher rating if it were not for them.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center? Share your experiences!