“Would not ever stay again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pittsburgh
The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh
You added The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh to your Saves list
939 Western Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15233   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“Would not ever stay again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

This was probably the most beautiful bed and breakfast I have ever stayed in. The historical details were fabulous; the care and the expense that went into the restoration were obviously considerable. Breakfast was good.
Sad that I would never stay here again.

We found the owner to be very prickly to say the least. After the comments on TripAdvisor, we were so surprised. When we arrived, we knew he had to leave so we said we would just drop off our luggage and come back at 3 PM. In an angry manner, he grabbed his credit card machine and said he would check us in now. His behavior was so unwelcoming that had we not paid in advance, we would have left immediately.

The was probably our 50th stay in a bed and breakfast and we had never been treated with such indifference and irritation (throughout the stay.) To this day, we are still wondering what was up with the owner. Whatever it was, we hope he is better as his place is beautiful.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at this lovingly restored mansion B&B. The Oleander room (original master bedroom) was definitely the largest room I've ever been in while on vacation. It was quite charming and I felt a little transported back in time. Overall, I'd say that the place was fairly quiet due to the other respectful guests, but I could definitely hear the stairs creaking and people talking downstairs so I think the place could use some more soundproofing. I had mixed feelings about breakfast, I liked the yogurt/granola parfait and orange juice but the entrees all seemed to be bread-based (french toast, oatmeal bread). Since I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat bacon, there was no alternate protein served. I would have much preferred to have a plate of eggs and potatoes. But overall, Ed (owner) and Derronda (hostess) do a lot to make this B&B warm and welcoming. If you're ever in Pittsburgh, I think this is a good choice for your accommodation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

The Rhodes Mansion could have been a victim or urban blight...but it has been lovingly restored and being a guest there reminds you of what life must have been like in 1870 when it was built. The guest rooms are HUGE...the common areas reflect the charm of a bygone era. Each room could tell a story and the entire building is a feast for the senses. Everywhere you look you discover something new. Breakfast in the dining room was excellent. Ed, our host, was always there to answer any questions, give suggestions and provide us with lots of local information. The location of the Parador is perfect. Walking distance to Pittsburgh's stadiums, casino, waterfront...and you can even hike into the downtown area if you so choose. If you are a B&B person...and some people are not...you will enjoy The Parador as you visit the great city of Pittsburgh.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

My husband and I got married at The Parador on August 6th of this year. Throughout the wedding planning process, the Inn owner (Ed Menzer) was prompt about returning emails and gave helpful suggestions about caterers, equipment rentals, etc.

Ed had a few simple rules regarding check-in/check-out, wedding vendors, and events, but this should not be taken negatively. He is very organized and works tirelessly to make sure that Inn guests are comfortable and satisfied with their stay. Our wedding party stayed a the Inn during the wedding weekend and all were thoroughly impressed with the beautiful ambiance, uniqueness of each room, cleanliness, and delicious breakfast that Ed prepares himself. Several people told me that while staying at the Inn they forgot they were in Pittsburgh because it felt like such a retreat.

On our actual wedding day, Ed worked nonstop from sunrise into the late hours of the night to make sure that our wedding was flawless...and it was! Several of my family members came up to me after the wedding and commented on how hard Ed worked behind the scenes. We truly felt like he and his assitants took a genuine interest in making sure that everyone enjoyed the night. It was easy to trust that he had everything under control.

Overall, our experience at The Parador Inn was excellent. The Parador is a home away from home and a hidden gem. I would recommend it to anyone that asked, and I can't wait to find an excuse to stay there again.

Room Tip: Call and talk to Ed so that he can help match you to your perfect room. They are all unique and dif...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I really liked the Parador inn, a 19th century mansion that was built by one of the founders of the P&O Railroad, including the beautiful home and antique furnishings, delicious breakfast, lush garden, and gracious hospitality provided by the owner. I wouldn't change a thing...and this inn is within walking distance of the Warhol museum and the twin sports stadiums. Ideal!

You can't go wrong with the Parador. And if you don't like this place, it is time to look in the mirror.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Eindhoven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I am writing this review while sitting on the porch of this superb B&B. Not knowing what to expect we checked in. We were taken on a grand tour around the house. It 's just gorgeous. This house is both charming and surprising. We booked a suite on first floor of the cottage in the garden. Huge! Large living area with pantry, spacious bathroom and large bedroom. This B&B is a mixture of old Pittsburgh, close to Heinz Field, and modern hospitality. Not the average place! Staff is dedicated to ensure you have the best stay ever. Several restaurants nearby and just so much to see here. Wish we could stay longer. Very warm atmosphere and just one of those places I will never forget. Thanks for all your kindness. You made us feel special!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We came back here because of Ed's hospitality, the great location, and the fabulous mansion. If you are fond of antiques, this is a place where you could spend your entire week-end watching at every detail in the house.
The rooms and bathrooms are very spacious and they are spot clean. The yogurt-granola-parfait at breakfast was delicious.
We love going to Pittburg and to the Parador. We will certainly be there again soon.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the mansion
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Parador Inn of Pittsburgh? Share your experiences!