“Bad Venue for Larger Weddings” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Morning Glory Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pittsburgh
Save Saved
You added Morning Glory Inn to your Saves list
2119 Sarah Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203   |
Ranked #4 of 9 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, PA
“Bad Venue for Larger Weddings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This review pertains to the experience I had as a guest at a coworker's wedding in the spring of 2012, and not as a guest of the Inn. When I arrived with some other coworkers, we discovered there was no place to sit for the cocktail hour- all of the guests who arrived before us had taken up all the chairs in the courtyard (there weren't many to begin with). It was beautiful outside that day so there was no way we were going to spend it inside away from the rest of the people just to have a place to sit down. The only space left was at a high top table without chairs. So we stood there through the cocktail hour and appetizers.

When the wedding party was entering, the MC didn't announce any of the bridesmaids or groomsmen, so you didn't get to learn who these people were. He hovered over the maid of honor and best man as they made their toasts, so it was difficult to take pictures without him in the background.

When it was finally time for dinner, our table was taken by some other guests so we had to sit inside and eat. While the MC (the owner, I presume?) welcomed everyone to come to the buffet and find a comfortable place to sit and eat, I ended up sitting on the floor at an end table because there were no other chairs available. How can you host events for 100+ people and not have enough chairs??

As other reviewers mentioned, I did notice the excessive amount of Glen Beck books. One of the groomsmen said that was the only "literature" in their room. Come on. A quaint B&B should be offering classics.

While the courtyard is nice and pretty when everything was lit up in the dusk, this place needs a major overhaul. The cobblestone is hazardous, the wall paper and decor are extremely outdated, and it could use a really good dusting.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
C David E, Dave Eshelman, Owner at Morning Glory Inn, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
I am sorry to hear you were disappointed, especially because we want everyones memories of the wedding to be nothing but positive ones. The wedding couple were ecstatic with the results. The wedding couple chose this Historic 1862 Inn because of the inside outside flowing style, which makes for a smashing party, and the ambiance...the German builder of this Italianate styled Victorian townhouse owned a brick yard and made bricks used in the herringbone brick courtyard. The interior is classic and the Designers who did this, including the wallpaper, also did the original Nemacolin Woodlands.

You are especially unhappy because you could not sit at a table for 8 and have that same seat all evening. This couple did not want a traditional hotel style celebration...they wanted it to flow...they wanted a party that would make it easy for their two families to better get to know each other...after all, this is also the "marriage" of two families. The couple also decided how they wanted the flow of events to be conducted...not necessarily the same as the hotel/hall style...so orchestrating their party is my task...maybe that is why I was in some of the your photos. And yes, we have a library with all kinds of titles and hundreds of authors and Glenn Beck's "The Original Argument...The Federalists' Case for the Constitution" and "Common Sense...the Case Against an Out of Control Government, inspired by Thomas Paine. These are extraordinary treatises that address problems this country faces...they are not political in the sense that you are suggesting.

We are very interested in constructive comments and we do listen. We hope people read your comments and my response. If they do, a service will have been served. Future guests will know more about the unique aspects of the Morning Glory "Wedding Celebration Blueprint"...most will love it...a few, however, need not be surprised.

I would love the chance to clear the air, as we'd love the opportunity to put our best foot forward and "wow" you with some of the history, including a role with the Underground Railroad, the underground room under part of the street and the tunnel into the basement! Thanks for sharing, and take care.

Best regards,

Dave Eshelman, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
No. VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

We loved this place! My teenage son and I came to pittsburgh on a last minute trip to see a show on Carson street. The location and proximity to funky Southside can't be beat! Given that I made our reservation within 5 hours of showing up, I am very impressed. Room was ready and very clean. Dave, the owner, is not hovering so perhaps some guests expect that (given some of the other comments). We had a great breakfast. There are plenty of "public" areas to lounge. Our room was a two twin bedded room, perfect for us. Super comfortable beds. I will stay again!

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for the lovely review you left last summer! We work hard to ensure that you have a terrific stay, start to finish, so it's truly pleasing to read your comments. Think you'll come back sometime soon? We love seeing a familiar face! Until then, take care.

Best wishes,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Clearly there is an issue with the owner Dave. Maybe his wife should start dealing with customers. Our experience was similar to all the negative reviews regarding Dave. Place is cute, room was okay, wedding was beautiful, but Dave is very unfriendly and cold. He also seemed to be lingering around, I never felt comfortable there. A couple guests at the wedding I was at also made comments about him. If they would eliminate him, I guarantee the place would get better reviews.

Also, the right wing literature is literally EVERYWHERE and I personally didnt care for it. I used the 3 Glen Beck books in my room as coasters, so it worked out for me.

I wouldn't stay again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed July 2012
C David E, Owner at Morning Glory Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
As always, thank you for your feedback regarding the Morning Glory Inn. We value all reviewer opinions and do our utmost to fix any shortcomings as immediately as possible. We realize that personalities do not always mesh and we extend our sincerest apology that was the case during your visit. We take great pride and passion in the Morning Glory Inn and the ceremonies, but we realize this can be overwhelming at times. We have brought on a new Director of Weddings, Events, & Meetings in efforts to make each get together more seamless. Again, we appreciate your feedback and sincerely hope you will visit the Morning Glory Inn again, so you can have the relaxing experience you were expecting on your first stay.

Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

The Inn and the part of Pittsburgh where it is located have a lot of character and vibrance. Beautifully decorated outside and in, it was the perfect place for us to get away for night. My wife and I stayed in the Jackson room, which was plenty spacious and had a beautiful hardwood floor bathroom. The only slight negative was that there was no door between the bedroom and bathroom, but it wasn't a big deal. We loved relaxing on the chair swing on there porch, enjoying the complimentary port and coffee, and skimming through the politically provocative books laying all around. The bed was incredible, one of those memory foam mattresses, I think. The breakfast in the morning was delicious. I would highly recommend a visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Flattered that you think we're a "top notch" bed and breakfast, Matthew! Thank you for the terrific review you left last June. I know it's been a few months, but it's always gratifying to hear about a guest's wonderful stay. Hopefully, we'll get the chance to welcome you and your wife back again sometime soon! Until then, take care

Best wishes,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We booked the Morning Glory for our wedding because we wanted a beautiful space with a more intimate, house party feeling. Overall, this is exactly what we got. We enjoyed ourselves at our wedding, as did our guests. And yes, it was beautifully set up for us. However, I would absolutely never reccommend another Bride and Groom to go through what we experienced with the owner, Dave Eshelman. From the start, Dave acted more like a robot than a person who should exude hospitality. He wasn't so aggravating at the beginning, but was always just very matter of fact, always repeating a very memorized script of how the wedding would go. When I had questions or requests, it was always the same "well, we do it this way" answer. There wasn't a lot of flexibility. And for the most part, that was fine. The set up that they have is very nice and great for a small wedding of 100 guests or less. However, no matter what size wedding a bride is planning, it's still an important event and you need to make her feel comfortable and confident that the day will go smoothly. The Morning Glory does have an Event Coordinator named Joy and she is, indeed, a joy! However, I asked to meet her several times during my appointments with Dave and was always told "It's not necessary for you to meet her". Again, not very reassuring to a Bride that she's not allowed to meet the one person who will be running the show on the Big Day. (I finally met Joy the day of the wedding and yes, she was wonderful! But if I hadn't had her to go to and had to deal with Dave the whole time, I would have been a mess.) When I dropped off the final payment, Dave once again asked me what time the ceremony would be held (even though it was in my contract AND we had of course gone over that several times) and then started to go through the same monotone memorized details of how the evening would go. Only this time, he mentioned that we would do a receiving line and toasts immediately following the ceremony. We were not planning to do a receiving line. We wanted to process out of the courtyard to the bagpipes with our wedding party and get photos out of the way for the children involved and also to let the band we had hired for TWO HOURS ONLY, start to play for dinner. He got very upset with me and said that he would have no way to inform guests of how the dinner stations worked if we didn't do a receiving line. I asked him why he couldn't make that announcement if we weren't there and it was like he just could NOT deviate from the one and only way he knew to run a wedding. He started to get very frustrated with me (as I did with him) and I suggested that I email him my spreadsheet of how things were going to go (which was exactly everything we had spoken about all along...except for this receiving line thing). He told me "Well, you don't really need to know when things are going to happen because other people will be doing everything for you." Yeah, can't say that made me very happy. If I'm paying a place thousands of dollars, I'm going to know what is happening and it's going to be what we want to happen. So, I sent him a spreadsheet with a very detailed timeline of when the band would play and take a break so that we could do our first dances and cut the cake, etc. When it came time for this to happen, I had to go track down Dave to make the announcement that we were going to do our first dance. He refused to make the announcement and insisted that the Best Man should be doing that. What?!?! So, then our poor Best Man had to be tracked down, taken away from his dinner, and act as MC. Dave also openly complained in front of guests that the kegs we had delivered were not what he liked and he threw a small fit in front of them. (Btw, another aquaintance had her wedding here and ordered 3 kegs instead of 2, had a cooler for the extra one and Dave made the distributor take it back...even though they had paid for it. And yes, they ran out of beer.) He treated our FANTASTIC caterer and his staff terribly and had absolutely no respect for the guests of the inn that were there for two nights for the wedding. One guest called him to say that her shower wasn't working and was gruffly told "I'm in the middle of a wedding. I will fix it on Monday." The air conditioning was turned off one of the nights and it was miserable for those guests (they didn't discover it until after returning late at night, so were afraid to call Dave). Needless to say, I was absolutely mortified that I had asked these friends and family to stay here and spend their money on an unhospitable establishment. Also, I had to personally remove Glenn Beck and anti-Obama literature set out on tables in every single room with a note from Dave telling guests to read at least the first 12 pages. I don't care what your political views are, but it is no place for such things at a wedding or a place where you SHOULD want your guests (of many backgrounds and opinions) to feel nothing but comfortable and welcome. And to top it all off, Dave asked me what I wanted done with the leftover cupcakes and I told him that I guess to box up and put some in the fridge. Well, he didn't do that. He threw them ALL away. My Groom didn't even get to eat one.
Again, the ceremony was beautiful and the reception was fun, but this was far too much stress to deal with for something that is very costly. It's a shame, because the Inn is beautiful and Joy was a tremendous help. She made breakfast the next morning for everyone and it was wonderful! But Dave is shooting himself in the foot by being so hostile and unwelcoming. I would not recommend this venue to any other couples. And the guests that stayed at the Inn would not even consider returning to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Amy, first I would like to extend a congratulations on your marriage and wish you and Bill all the happiness you deserve. We appreciate comments regarding our venue and review your feedback with utmost concern.

The Morning Glory Reception “blueprint” is a one of a kind experience to which we feel creates a unique wedding celebration. It is the inside/outside flowing style that sets the stage for a great start as two families merge into one. I am pleased that your opening paragraph states that you and Bill “enjoyed ourselves at our wedding, as did our guests”...this is really what your wedding day is all about.

Although not intentional, my personality can be a bit intimidating. I am just very passionate, very concentrated, very down to the business of making every Morning Glory wedding celebration smooth, seamless and a smashing party. I do recognize that some people come away with an uncomplimentary impression and I have taken your concerns, as well as others, seriously.

I am excited to announce I have finally found the right person to assist me in the planning and execution of our ceremonies and receptions. Emily is Morning Glory's Director of Meetings, Events, and Weddings.

Again, I apologize that my demeanor made you uncomfortable. Amy, I can assure you that future Morning Glory brides will love Emily.

Dave Eshelman
Innkeeper
Washington, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

This may be a beautiful location/venue for a wedding and I do admit that we enjoyed ourselves. However, the service, staff, respect for others and common courtesy of those that booked was poor. Dave the owner refuses to leave even if you book the entire venue for the weekend. He stayed in the suite above the bride and groom! Um a little privacy! I mean who wants to spend their wedding night below the owners especially when you booked the entire venue, all suites, courtyard etc. How about take your money and go to a hotel for the night. He stayed on to make sure we were told daily not to touch the kitchen, music off at 10 and lights out at 11. He walked through the dance floor, past friends and family to pull the plug on the music. We were sitting by candlelight by 11pm in the courtyard and then Dave proceeded to bed. I felt like I was 13 and under curfew all over again. As far as respect goes if you don't mind the owner bussing tours of prospective future bride and grooms through the house, your suite, and even the Bridal suite while your dressing then by all means this is the place to take advantage of you. You don't have to take my word for it, but please read this and take it into perspective when deciding on the venue for you.

Room Tip: Do not take the atic suite. It is the hardest bed in the whole mansion. Everyone else said they sl...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kacey, thank you for your kind words on our venue. Morning Glory weddings are very different. The property consists of an 1862 Victorian Brick Inn, 1875 row houses renovated into a party room and sandwiched between them, a “New Orleans lush” courtyard. The ceremonies have the couple under an arbor. The receptions are inside/outside with seating everywhere...no big tables with assigned seating and no head table. No captive caterer [4 choices] and the food is presented on several gorgeously flowered stations throughout the venue...so the guest flow is inside/outside and the result is a booming party.

We are disappointed to hear you were not pleased with our staff, service and were uncomfortable with the owner's presence. We apologize for any inappropriate behavior. There is so much to do in orchestrating a wedding as flowing as Morning Glory's, that the owner needs to be present to ensure a seamless glitch-free celebration.

We have recently brought on a new Director of Meetings, Events and Weddings. She will be mainly working with the brides to ensure a perfect wedding day. We strive for excellence and sincerely hope you will consider visiting us in the future so you can receive the welcome and experience you expected during your first visit.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

My husband and I got married at the MGI on April 28, 2012. If I could go back and do it all over again - I would not change a thing. The Inn was gorgeous, Joy was incredibly friendly - and a wonderful cook, and Dave was helpful and organized with every detail. It was a cool and rainy day, and not only did he have the retractable awnings set up early, but he also put up an additional tent to cover more ground - the rain stopped before the ceremony, but he was prepared for anything. He kept the fireplaces going outside until well after many guests had left for the evening. We stayed the entire weekend at the Inn along with several of our guests. I did not hear a single complaint all weekend - everyone raved about the location. Dave was accommodating with additional friends and family visiting at the Inn on Friday evening well into the night. All in all, an absolutely wonderful weekend and perfect way to start our marriage!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Morning Glory Inn? Share your experiences!