“Beautiful wedding, poor service and respect for others” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Morning Glory Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pittsburgh
Morning Glory Inn
2119 Sarah Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Washington, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful wedding, poor service and respect for others”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

This may be a beautiful location/venue for a wedding and I do admit that we enjoyed ourselves. However, the service, staff, respect for others and common courtesy of those that booked was poor. Dave the owner refuses to leave even if you book the entire venue for the weekend. He stayed in the suite above the bride and groom! Um a little privacy! I mean who wants to spend their wedding night below the owners especially when you booked the entire venue, all suites, courtyard etc. How about take your money and go to a hotel for the night. He stayed on to make sure we were told daily not to touch the kitchen, music off at 10 and lights out at 11. He walked through the dance floor, past friends and family to pull the plug on the music. We were sitting by candlelight by 11pm in the courtyard and then Dave proceeded to bed. I felt like I was 13 and under curfew all over again. As far as respect goes if you don't mind the owner bussing tours of prospective future bride and grooms through the house, your suite, and even the Bridal suite while your dressing then by all means this is the place to take advantage of you. You don't have to take my word for it, but please read this and take it into perspective when deciding on the venue for you.

Room Tip: Do not take the atic suite. It is the hardest bed in the whole mansion. Everyone else said they sl...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
C David E, Owner at Morning Glory Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Kacey, thank you for your kind words on our venue. Morning Glory weddings are very different. The property consists of an 1862 Victorian Brick Inn, 1875 row houses renovated into a party room and sandwiched between them, a “New Orleans lush” courtyard. The ceremonies have the couple under an arbor. The receptions are inside/outside with seating everywhere...no big tables with assigned seating and no head table. No captive caterer [4 choices] and the food is presented on several gorgeously flowered stations throughout the venue...so the guest flow is inside/outside and the result is a booming party.

We are disappointed to hear you were not pleased with our staff, service and were uncomfortable with the owner's presence. We apologize for any inappropriate behavior. There is so much to do in orchestrating a wedding as flowing as Morning Glory's, that the owner needs to be present to ensure a seamless glitch-free celebration.

We have recently brought on a new Director of Meetings, Events and Weddings. She will be mainly working with the brides to ensure a perfect wedding day. We strive for excellence and sincerely hope you will consider visiting us in the future so you can receive the welcome and experience you expected during your first visit.

Morning Glory Inn

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

My husband and I got married at the MGI on April 28, 2012. If I could go back and do it all over again - I would not change a thing. The Inn was gorgeous, Joy was incredibly friendly - and a wonderful cook, and Dave was helpful and organized with every detail. It was a cool and rainy day, and not only did he have the retractable awnings set up early, but he also put up an additional tent to cover more ground - the rain stopped before the ceremony, but he was prepared for anything. He kept the fireplaces going outside until well after many guests had left for the evening. We stayed the entire weekend at the Inn along with several of our guests. I did not hear a single complaint all weekend - everyone raved about the location. Dave was accommodating with additional friends and family visiting at the Inn on Friday evening well into the night. All in all, an absolutely wonderful weekend and perfect way to start our marriage!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
New Oxford, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I arrived to no one to greet me. At what turned out to be an outer door, I rang what seemed to be the doorbell and waited for several minutes. No response. I tried to open this door and found myself in a small vestibule facing a locked door. Below waist height, a small sign in 12-point type offered two telephone numbers to call for assistance. My call was answered by a man who sounded annoyed by my call. He talked me thru entering a code to open the door, a tour of the public rooms on the first floor, a walk up the stairs, directions to my room, said that breakfast was at 8:30, asked if I wanted coffee, tea or decal, asked if I needed a dinner suggestion and rang off.

The room was once "bed and breakfast" pleasant. Now, unfortunately, it's tired. Peeling wallpaper in two spots, torn carpet in one spot, loose toilet seat, dusty silk flowers everywhere. But the room itself was clean and it was cool (outside was very warm). Slept well and had a nice breakfast, served by a pleasant woman.

I left the Inn at 8:15 in the morning and return about 7:30 pm. My room had not been touched since I left almost 12 hours earlier. Having come in from another day in the high 80s day, my room felt cool. Not really. I sat down to do so some work and soon was very warm. Knowing that no one would be present to assist me, I looked up the Inn's phone number on its website and called. The same man answered and said, "The air conditioning's broken. I've called the repairman. You'll just have to open the windows. Sorry about that."

Hmmmm. I'm missing a significant service, but I was give no notice--no polite note on the front door, on the door to the room, inside my room, nothing. I had to to call to find out what was going on. And then the person answering my call was not very apologetic, sympathetic or conciliatory. So, I opened the windows without screens and hoped for the best. I was happy to checkout and leave the next morning.

Does this sound like a place you'd like to stay?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I find it very interesting to have tried my unsuccessful luck with the Morning Glory Inn and then to find all of these other reviews online that share my same experience if not worse. Just recently I emailed the Inn to request some information about their services. I received three attachments, all of which were nothing but pictures and a welcome letter from the owner. There was no helpful information at all. When I responded to the email and requested base prices / ball park figures for caterers, they would not supply anything for me and simply responded that I need to call to discuss the "blue print" of my wedding. I found the tone of their email, alone, rude. But, I called anyway... twice!... No one answered.

My fiance and I are very busy with our jobs and other happenings. Our wedding day means a lot to us, but as so not to waste our time or someone else's, just give us some simple base prices so we know if not to move on. When someone is as shady and as rude as Dave was just through an email alone, I certainly am not going to entrust him with our BIG DAY!

When the majority of the feedback for this place is negative, you would think the owners would take a hint and get the picture to improve their demeanor instead of lashing back at individuals' ratings and talk around the issues at hand.

Thank you to everyone who posted their experiences! You saved me, my fiance, and our families headaches that should not be on such a special day!

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We booked the Garden Room for one night while we were in Pittsburgh over St. Patrick's Day weekend (not an ideal time to visit the South Side, but the Morning Glory was a welcome respite from the chaos on Carson Street). The inn is showing its age a bit, and our room could have used a bit of a spruce - not a fan of faux flowers. But, it was clean and comfortable and the library has an assortment of Keurig coffees and a mini fridge for guest use around the clock.

What merits our 5-star rating, however, is the exceptionally gracious and generous service we received from the innkeepers, who accommodated three additional family members so they could join us for breakfast the next day. We offered to pay for their meals, and they were comped at no charge. In these times, that level of complimentary service is unheard of. Breakfast was a delight - the weather was warm, and we were served in the private courtyard outside. The food was delicious and the meal service very attentive. They went above and beyond with this level of service.

We would definitely stay here again, although we would probably select a different room.

Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

This b&b is very comfortable and in a great old house. Breakfast was excellent and served in a pleasant breakfast room with a number of cozy tables for two. If you're looking for lots of interaction with the innkeepers, this isn't the place for you. We don't like staying where innkeepers hover so it suited us perfectly. The location was great, very close to Carson St. We'd go back.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is a b&b with a lot of character in an area with a lot of history. It's fun to stay in a gigantic old house that is so well preserved (and not split up into individual apartments). The decor is very appropriate for the house (definitely not a modern design), like walking into your rich grandma's house. We stayed in the attic room, which is split up over two floors, and has lots of space. It was a quiet stay during the week and the garden in the summer was really nice to sit in. We were a couple but it seems like a nice place for a wedding. It's a great location for its proximity to restaurants and nightlife.

A few complaints though. I didn't realize no one would be there to let us in and found the door locked. It seems like someone forgot to arrange a key for us but after a call to the manager it was fine. Could have been smoother though. Also, parking was a little bit of a hassle on the street. Breakfast was delicious but it was very early and they weren't too flexible with the times. Maybe better suited to older guests. It was a nice stay but I think my parents would have enjoyed it more.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Morning Glory Inn? Share your experiences!