“Where do I start?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Morning Glory Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pittsburgh
Morning Glory Inn
Save Saved
You added Morning Glory Inn to your Saves list
2119 Sarah Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
New Oxford, Pennsylvania
“Where do I start?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I arrived to no one to greet me. At what turned out to be an outer door, I rang what seemed to be the doorbell and waited for several minutes. No response. I tried to open this door and found myself in a small vestibule facing a locked door. Below waist height, a small sign in 12-point type offered two telephone numbers to call for assistance. My call was answered by a man who sounded annoyed by my call. He talked me thru entering a code to open the door, a tour of the public rooms on the first floor, a walk up the stairs, directions to my room, said that breakfast was at 8:30, asked if I wanted coffee, tea or decal, asked if I needed a dinner suggestion and rang off.

The room was once "bed and breakfast" pleasant. Now, unfortunately, it's tired. Peeling wallpaper in two spots, torn carpet in one spot, loose toilet seat, dusty silk flowers everywhere. But the room itself was clean and it was cool (outside was very warm). Slept well and had a nice breakfast, served by a pleasant woman.

I left the Inn at 8:15 in the morning and return about 7:30 pm. My room had not been touched since I left almost 12 hours earlier. Having come in from another day in the high 80s day, my room felt cool. Not really. I sat down to do so some work and soon was very warm. Knowing that no one would be present to assist me, I looked up the Inn's phone number on its website and called. The same man answered and said, "The air conditioning's broken. I've called the repairman. You'll just have to open the windows. Sorry about that."

Hmmmm. I'm missing a significant service, but I was give no notice--no polite note on the front door, on the door to the room, inside my room, nothing. I had to to call to find out what was going on. And then the person answering my call was not very apologetic, sympathetic or conciliatory. So, I opened the windows without screens and hoped for the best. I was happy to checkout and leave the next morning.

Does this sound like a place you'd like to stay?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I find it very interesting to have tried my unsuccessful luck with the Morning Glory Inn and then to find all of these other reviews online that share my same experience if not worse. Just recently I emailed the Inn to request some information about their services. I received three attachments, all of which were nothing but pictures and a welcome letter from the owner. There was no helpful information at all. When I responded to the email and requested base prices / ball park figures for caterers, they would not supply anything for me and simply responded that I need to call to discuss the "blue print" of my wedding. I found the tone of their email, alone, rude. But, I called anyway... twice!... No one answered.

My fiance and I are very busy with our jobs and other happenings. Our wedding day means a lot to us, but as so not to waste our time or someone else's, just give us some simple base prices so we know if not to move on. When someone is as shady and as rude as Dave was just through an email alone, I certainly am not going to entrust him with our BIG DAY!

When the majority of the feedback for this place is negative, you would think the owners would take a hint and get the picture to improve their demeanor instead of lashing back at individuals' ratings and talk around the issues at hand.

Thank you to everyone who posted their experiences! You saved me, my fiance, and our families headaches that should not be on such a special day!

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We booked the Garden Room for one night while we were in Pittsburgh over St. Patrick's Day weekend (not an ideal time to visit the South Side, but the Morning Glory was a welcome respite from the chaos on Carson Street). The inn is showing its age a bit, and our room could have used a bit of a spruce - not a fan of faux flowers. But, it was clean and comfortable and the library has an assortment of Keurig coffees and a mini fridge for guest use around the clock.

What merits our 5-star rating, however, is the exceptionally gracious and generous service we received from the innkeepers, who accommodated three additional family members so they could join us for breakfast the next day. We offered to pay for their meals, and they were comped at no charge. In these times, that level of complimentary service is unheard of. Breakfast was a delight - the weather was warm, and we were served in the private courtyard outside. The food was delicious and the meal service very attentive. They went above and beyond with this level of service.

We would definitely stay here again, although we would probably select a different room.

Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

This b&b is very comfortable and in a great old house. Breakfast was excellent and served in a pleasant breakfast room with a number of cozy tables for two. If you're looking for lots of interaction with the innkeepers, this isn't the place for you. We don't like staying where innkeepers hover so it suited us perfectly. The location was great, very close to Carson St. We'd go back.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is a b&b with a lot of character in an area with a lot of history. It's fun to stay in a gigantic old house that is so well preserved (and not split up into individual apartments). The decor is very appropriate for the house (definitely not a modern design), like walking into your rich grandma's house. We stayed in the attic room, which is split up over two floors, and has lots of space. It was a quiet stay during the week and the garden in the summer was really nice to sit in. We were a couple but it seems like a nice place for a wedding. It's a great location for its proximity to restaurants and nightlife.

A few complaints though. I didn't realize no one would be there to let us in and found the door locked. It seems like someone forgot to arrange a key for us but after a call to the manager it was fine. Could have been smoother though. Also, parking was a little bit of a hassle on the street. Breakfast was delicious but it was very early and they weren't too flexible with the times. Maybe better suited to older guests. It was a nice stay but I think my parents would have enjoyed it more.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Thank you for the beautiful wedding atmosphere that you provided on Saturday. The room and garden area was beautiful! Nancy, you were so kind, gracious, and attentive. It made it go smoothly. Everyone that came to the wedding also enjoyed it. They had a great time and loved the atmosphere. It was such a pleasure to stay here. Have a great season and enjoy your teaching retirement.

Room Tip: Our families stayed in different rooms and everyone seemed to enjoy their time here.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

The off-site owners are gruff when contacted by phone; Dave was even more of a curmudgeon in person: barely speaking at breakfast, and happy (!) that we were not going to be there on Xmas morning, even though they were just serving a buffet and not a usual breakfast.
The room was cold, and the request to avoid sitting on the comforter was unusual - OK so we didn't sit on it, but we used it to cover us, along with a thin blanket we found after searching through every drawer in the room - we were almost ready to borrow a blanket from the adjacent vacant room.
MGI is at risk for safety code violations. On our arrival, the second floor smoke alarm was hanging from the ceiling without a battery; the next morning another on the third floor was beeping. On our final night, the smoke alarm in our room began to beep - our call to Dave on Xmas Eve was met with a grouchy reply, and we spent 30 minutes listening to the squeal. On his arrival, he removed not only the battery, but the smoke alarm as well. He informed us that they were all 5 years old and defective. NICE!
We ate breakfast one day, it was middling satisfactory; another morning we did not, and left to go out at 10 AM and Dave was already gone - our bed was never made up that day, and there was a basket of fresh towels at our door. No one retrieved the dirty linen. Subpar!
We spent my birthday at MGI, and I was sent an email that I would receive a box of chocolates as a birthday gift - the chocolates never appeared. It's not that I need or want any more candy - just don't offer something you don't plan to deliver.
All in all, we were very disappointed We will not return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Morning Glory Inn? Share your experiences!