“Best & most authentic Taiwanese cuisine in Pittsburgh” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rose Tea Cafe

Rose Tea Cafe
5874 1/2 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15217-1602 (Squirrel Hill South)
412-421-2238
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 104 Coffee & Tea in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Taiwanese
Neighborhood: Squirrel Hill South
Neighborhood: Squirrel Hill South
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best & most authentic Taiwanese cuisine in Pittsburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

With one of us being Taiwanese we crave good Taiwanese food, and in our humble opinion Rose Tea Cafe has the best and most authentic Taiwanese fare in Pittsburgh. We have been to others that claim to servve Taiwanese food but feel the cooking styles and ingredients used at Rose Tea best reflect what we eat in Taiwan.
The restaurant is small so go early as it is very popular with the Asian community.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best Bubble Tea Around!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I've eaten here a few times and the food is good, but I go here ALL the time and get bubble tea to go, especially delicous when it's hot out.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newton, Massachusetts
“Great food, good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

I have been here a few times with my friends and have always had a great meal. The food is delicious and reasonably priced. If you want a good Taiwanese place, Rose Tea is definitely it worth visiting.

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
“Good Food - Dinner Was Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I had dinner here the other night. I was dining alone and was hoping for a table in the back but they seated me right in the middle of the little restaurant. It was fine though, there was a guy seated near me who was also dining alone so it was fine. The service was fast and efficient.

I had a deliciously crispy little spring roll, it was yummy and only $1.50. I had the hot and sour soup which was great and had tons of those funky little mushrooms. I had a seafood/noodle dish for my entree and it was delicious. My only complaint is that the entree was VERY oily. It tasted really great at the time but it was a lot of oil and the leftovers were soaked in it.

Overall this was a good meal, I just thought it was overpriced for the quality. It was a good meal but I thought $20 with tip was overpriced.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh
“Worst experience I have ever had at a restaurant.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

This has been by far the worst experience at a restaurant I have ever had.

Me and my three friends visited the Rose Tea Cafe a few days ago to order bubble tea. We sat down and gave the waitress our orders — each of us had gotten a bubble tea — to which the waitress questioned, “Just bubble tea?” and we said yes that was all.

An older female waitress brought us our drinks but rudely told us that normally we’re not allowed to just get bubble tea and if we did then we had to get it to go we couldn’t sit down. We’re a little flustered because she brought the drinks out in mugs so how could we leave now anyway? And also why hadn’t the other waitress told us from the start that we weren’t allowed to order only bubble tea?

After finishing out tea the waitress gives us the check which is totaled all together. We get up to pay and I ask the older waitress if we can pay for these separately because some of us had cash and some had cards. We were ordered to sit back down at the table and she came over to tell us that no we could not pay it separately and could not pay with cards so luckily one of my friends pulled out a twenty and paid for all of us. Why hadn’t the waitress told us when we first ordered the tea that she couldn’t put them on separate bills or let us pay separately?

By this time we’re ready to head out of the Rose Tea Cafe after the ridiculous service we had been receiving but before we can go the older waitress once again visits us at our table and starts to explain to us as though we had never been to a restaurant before that this is a “service” restaurant and so we should leave a tip. We’re in complete shock that after being harassed about our order and our method of payment we’re now being asked to leave a tip, which we weren’t planning on doing at all.

After that, the younger waitress comes up to us and says, “You don’t have to leave a tip, but next time just get the drinks and go.”

They stare us down us as we leave a one dollar tip.

Needless to say, none of us will ever be visiting that restaurant again and I would suggest that anyone who reads this doesn’t go either. The entire time we were treated with disrespect and hostility.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere