“Quality Inn= Value” 3 of 5 stars

“Quality Inn= Value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

1. Cheapest room in the area
2. Literally on top of a Panera Bread
3. Great choice if you need to be very close to University Hospital~ walking distance
4. Must have a car to get anywhere else
4. Very Friendly, Efficient & Helpful
front desk staff
5. Free ample parking
6. Complimentary apples,coffee & tea in lobby 24/7
7. Refridge & Coffee maker in room
8. Small rooms with balconies
9. Desperately in need of all around updating
10. Did I mention ~Panera's in the house?!!

• Stayed October 2013
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to send your comments our way. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay. We're proud to offer affordable rooms and many ameities that our guests love, including microfridges, free parking, balcony access and the attached Panera Bread Cafe. We are in the process of upgrading many things at the hotel including capeting, lighting and furniture. Please come stay with us again when you're back in town.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Philadelphia, Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

I previously stayed at the Quality Inn last winter while interviewing for a job. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job but I found myself back in Pittsburgh for a Steelers game. All of the downtown hotels were either sold out or way too expensive so I stayed at the Quality Inn again. The staff was great and the shuttle driver ( I think her name was Emily) drove me downtown so I could catch the subway to the Steelers Stadium. After returning from the game, I found that the bathroom light in my room was not working. A few minutes after I called down to the desk, someone came up and quickly changed fhe bulb for me. My only problem with this stay was that my rate was much higher than my last stay. The desk manager explained that rates are higher during game weekends. No big deal. I will stay again at this hotel because the staff is always friendly. Also, the room I stayed in the second time was much nicer than the first. It looks like they upgraded the furniture. Keep up the good work. I will be back.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you so much for the great review! I'm glad you came to stay with us again. I have shared your comments with Emily, the woman who shuttled you to the Steelers game. It was our pleasure to be able to provide you with complimentary transportation. And yes, we have replaced furniture in many of our rooms. We're 50% complete with our furniture replacement project. We hope to have all rooms finished by the spring. We hope to see you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the Quality Inn on a bicycle tour after spending a terrible night at the Days Inn south of the river. The Quality Inn and its location was everything that the Days Inn and South Pittsburgh were not - within walking distance to the center, wonderfully clean, and much safer for biking. It was only ten dollars more expensive and well worth it!

• Stayed October 2013
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for the nice review! I'm glad you enjoyed the location of the Quality Inn and found your room to be clean. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to provide all of our guests with clean, comfortable rooms. If you're returning to the area in the future, please stay with us again. We'd love the opportunity to serve you again.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Wow I am so happy we decided to stay here. We drove from Canada and we had some problems checking in because of a miscommunication with the booking website. I was terrified we were going to have to sleep in the car!

But the lady at the desk was INCREDIBLY helpful and nice! She genuinely seemed like she wanted to help us and she really did!

The beds are comfy; the rooms are clean; the parking is free. All of these things add up to a great experience for an unbeatable price.

If you're going to Pittsburgh, STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words! We are proud to offer complimentary parking to all guests and clean, comfortable rooms at a great price. I'm pleased to learn that the front desk staff was able to help you with the issues you encountered at check-in. If you're returning to the area, please give us a call. We'd love to have you back as our guest!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in Mar 2013. Service was great. Rooms were clean and very large. Having a Panera attached to the hotel was a great asset for quick breakfasts. The hotel had coffee and tea in the lobby all day too! The hotel had plenty of free parking and was so easily accessible to downtown Pittsburgh that is was easy to get around. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thanks so much for staying at the Quality Inn and for sharing your hotel experience on Tripadvisor.com. I am glad you enjoyed the attached Panera Bread Cafe and our 24-hour coffee and tea service- both are huge hits with our guests. Our free parking is a great amenity, as well. If you're returning to Pittsburgh, please give me a call at 412-683-6100. I'd love to have you as our guest again!

Eastern NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We visited and stayed at this hotel to attend a graduation. The rooms were clean and spacious. I had a problem with the chair at the desk and it was remedied quickly. I really appreciated the shuttle service provided by this hotel. We used this service rather than battling Pittsburgh traffic. We were driven to the graduation site then picked up afterwards and driven to a local restaurant and after dinner were picked up again and returned to the hotel. One down side is that unlike other Quality Inn's there is no complimentary breakfast. Breakfast is available at an attached Panera Bread it also was good but I've become accustomed to the freebie at other Quality Inn's.

Room Tip: Use the shuttle whenever possible. Pittsburg is notorious for iffy cab service and parking is viciou...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you very much for being our guest and for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. I'm delighted you had an enjoyable stay. All of our guests love our shuttle service. Traffic and parking can be difficult in Pittsburgh. The attached Panera Bread cafe is also a hit with our guests. I'm glad our maintenance team was able to replaced your broken desk chair. We have a great team here and they're committed to offering the highest level of service possible. When you're returning to Pittsburgh, please give us a call- we'd love to have you as our guest again.

Torrance, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This isn't all the Quality Inn's fault, I think part of the reason for my disappointment has to do with Pittsburgh in general. By the way, I love Pittsburgh.

Anyways, my wife and i stayed at the Quality Inn because it is sort of (but not really) close to Downtown Pittsburgh. All the hotels that were actually downtown were $300+ per night, which was out of our price range. We paid around $500 for 4 nights at the Quality Inn. We figured that we would have to pay for some $10 taxi rides, but that was ok, since we were saving $700 on the hotel.

The hotel itself is old, and the rooms show it. Our room was equipped with a nice flatsceen TV, a microwave, and a refridgerator, which came in handy. I'll also mention that the AC unit worked very well.

When we're on vacation, we like to sleep in, so on Friday, we didn't get out of the room until about noon, on Saturday we didn't get out of the room until 1:00 pm and on Sunday we didn't get out of the room until 2:00 pm. We removed the "Do Not Disturb" sign from our door when we left the room every day, yet our room did not get cleaned a single time during our 4 night stay. We were never even offered fresh towels. I understand that we left the room later than most people do, but we've done the same thing in many other hotels, and the room almost always gets cleaned still.

Maybe this was just an accident, but based on the next thing I'm going to write, I think it' s more likely that the staff is just not good at cleaning the hotel. On Sunday night, I was in the bathroom (good shower by the way, with good water pressure), and I heard my wife make a really strange noise. I came out of the bathroom to see what was going on, and as it turns out, while looking for an outlet to plug her phone into near the bed, she discovered a used condom behind the night stand on her side of the bed. Gross. That convinces me that this is a dirty place in general

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you very much for staying at the Quality Inn - University Center and for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. Located about 2 miles from downtown Pittsburgh, we're a short bus or taxi ride away from many attractions. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the amenities in your room. Our new flatscreen TVs and microfridges are a hit with all guests. The new showerheads we recently installed are a favorite, as well. I sincerely apologize for the housekeeping department's shortcomings. I will speak with our housekeeping manager about all of the points you brought up. Please e-mail me at bgreiner@qualityinnpittsburgh.com and let me know the room in which you stayed. This way, I can pinpoint the exact cause of your problem so that similar situations do not occur in the future. Thanks again for being our guest. Again, I apologize for any problems you encountered.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Quality Inn University Center? Share your experiences!