“Excellent Hotel in the heart of Pittsburgh” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #43 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Lansing, Michigan, United States
“Excellent Hotel in the heart of Pittsburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while attending a roller coaster club event at nearby Kennywood amusement park... It was a short 15 minute drive to the park from the hotel. Rooms were clean, and the staff friendly and knowlegable. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thanks for staying with us and for writing such a nice review. I hope you had fun at Kennywood! If you're coming back to town, come stay with us again!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Richville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel May 15, 2013 because my daughter had a baby at Magee Hospital. The hotel was a short walk away from the hospital so I saved money on parking. The bed seemed clean and the shower/tub was decent, but that's where it ends. The hotel is in desperate need of an overhaul. The chairs in my room had stains on them, the carpet, besides needing swept, was coming up around the walls, the wall around the air/heat unit was rotted and needed paint and there was and empty pizza box on my balcony. From my room, you could hear all the outside noises and my alarm clock made some unusual noises about every hour or so. The staff were very nice and helpful!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Ben G, Manager at Quality Inn University Center, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter's baby! I'm glad you chose our hotel and that your room was clean. We are making many improvements to our rooms and building. Nearly everything is being replaced and/or repaired. It's a slow process but it's an investment we're happy to make. I'm sorry there was litter on your balcony. I will make sure the housekeeping manager checks all balconies to ensure they're clean. I am sorry about the outside noise. Unfortunately, the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh can be quite noisy at times due to the traffic and all of the local attractions. It's nice to know the staff was helpful and pleasant. Hopefully, we will see you again soon!

Williamsport, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I was in Pittsburgh for a medical appointment and wanted convenience to the UPMC. This hotel fit the bill. It was less than 5 minutes away, easy to find, and easy to get where I was going. The price was reasonable, and it was clean. That being said, it was pretty basic without the usual refrigerator, microwave, or breakfast. Most things in the room worked, but with some minor problems with lights and the TV. The bed was a bit soft, and the pillows hard. Despite this, the location and price mean that I will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us during your recent trip to Pittsburgh. I'm happy you found our hotel to be clean, affordable and conveniently located. Did you know that many of our rooms actually have microwave/refrigerator combinations? The next time you have to come to town, call us directly, 412-683-6100, and ask for a room with a microfridge. And, don't forget that we always offer a special rate for guests who have medical appointments! See you next time!

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently for business. All the other hotels in the area were booked. This was my first time in Pittsburgh.

The pros:
Free parking
There is a Panera located downstairs, which is convenient for breakfast.
The TV has a lot of channels (but the screen was grainy).
The water was hot.
The sheets and towels appeared clean enough.
They provided some cups, hair dryer, refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, basic toiletries.
Bathroom appeared clean enough, I suppose.

The cons:
The building is seriously old. I was stunned when I walked into the room. I guess for the price in this area I shouldn't have been so surprised, but it looks like the carpet was there for 60 years. It was so shabby, stained, and worn.
The bedskirt was stained.
The walls were chipping.
Half the lamps in the room didn't work.
The heater was very temperamental. Turned on heat, got cold air instead.
The bathroom door is all stained and dinged and cruddy. Just gross.
Room itself had an old, musty smell. I sneezed a lot.
Road noise from outside is quite loud.

All in all, if you can afford to pay more, then I recommend a different hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.com. I am happy that your room was clean and that had all the amenities you needed. We are happy to be the only hotel in the area to offer free parking. The attached Panera Bread Cafe is a great bonus for our guests, as well.

I am sorry you had issues with your stay. But, I'd like to point out that we are making number of improvements to the building as we speak. I'm not sure of the room in which you stayed, but we've replaced furniture in half of the rooms, so far. New carpet is being installed in the entire building this fall. Our maintenance crew is currently painting all bathroom doors and door frames, among other projects. And, I am working with Comcast to fix reception issues with some of our non-HD channels.

Come back and see us next time you're in town and ask for an updated room- we'd be happy to have you stay with us again!

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Several rooms were reserved for family members for the graduation of our daughter from Pitt a couple weeks ago. Everything was fine, rooms were clean and adequate. Nothing fancy, but the price was great, and included free parking. The Panera Cafe on the first floor is very convenient since there is no breakfast provided.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the nice words! I'm pleased your stay was pleasant and that your room was clean and comfortable. Congratulations on the graduation. Hail to Pitt!

Lancaster, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Two couples stayed here. The staff was thoughtful enough to give us rooms next to each other. The rooms were comfortable enough and each had a balcony. Unfortunately some sort of machine outside periodically made noise throughout the night. There was free coffee and tea in the lobby all day. Each room had a coffee maker. Panera's is on the ground floor; we enjoyed our breakfast there.

This hotel was in the perfect spot to visit Oakland and downtown Pittsburgh. We left one car while we went sightseeing. We did not use the hotel's shuttle but it would have been available to take us to spots in Oakland.

I think we got good value for our money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for the nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Pittsburgh and that the staff was able to accommodate you. If you're returning to the city any time soon, come back and see us again!

South East PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Okay I have 2 kids at PITT. I have been going back and forth for 4 years and will continue for another 3 at the very least. We usually stay at the Hilton Garden but we could not get a reservation so we stayed at this place. It is a Quality Inn. You do not buy a Toyota and expect the performance of a Lexus. It is the same with this hotel. Yes it is older, yes the carpet is like indoor outdoor, and the walls are stucco. Before tax it is roughly $100 a night with FREE PARKING. The Hilton would be at least $170 a night more for this weekend. I am betting it is $100 more then this hotel on any night you chose. Plus you then have to pay for parking. Sticking with the Quality INN it is clean, and basic. We really did not hear that much noise. The AC/HEAT will make noise when it turns on but I slept through it. The furniture is dated, the bed not as plush, plastic cups, no fridge, an no free breakfast. Is that bothers you then pay at least $100 to $150 more a night, enjoy a better bed, glass cups, maybe a fridge, free breakfast, and have to wait for a valet to get your car. Ironically 2 weeks ago we stayed in a 5 star hotel in downtown Pittsburgh for over $400 a night that had ripped lamp shades, 2 broken phones, and chipped furniture.

So in summary. The room is clean and basic. You can still walk to the PITT campus. You have free parking, and a Pannaeras on the ground floor. Considering the price my only real negative was I think the bath towels could be a little larger.

If you are there to see your kids at PITT, and just looking for a place to shower and sleep this is fine. If you want to pay to park, and be a little more plush there are 2 other hotels in the area but be prepared to pay around 2X or 3X more.

Room Tip: Odd floors have ice machines. Could be a plus or minus for some.