“Great hotel in downtown Pittsburgh” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Double Points!
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great hotel in downtown Pittsburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

A good, clean, well located hotel with free wi-fi. The King bed room was large and comfortable with all amenities and looked out onto the river. Close to most other places in downtown including the Covention Center and a good value for money

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the river
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Rachel P, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh - Downtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Aswin P, thank you for your review of our property! We are very happy to see that you were pleased with our location, as well as our clean and comfortable rooms. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time that you are in the Pittsburgh area!

Rachel Pontier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Our stay was part of a wedding block, and our experience was great!
Check-in was smooth. Our room was clean and large.
The location was fabulous, with the Heinz History center directly across the street, and the Strip District within easy walking distance.
The area is safe.
Breakfast is plentiful, and is replenished as the supplies begin to dwindle.
Coffee/tee is available in the lobby 24/7.
Parking is free. You just use your room keycard to enter the lot. When it fills up, the overflow is just in the next lot within easy walking.
The only issue that we had was with the cleaning staff. Our bed was not made as part of the daily cleaning routine. I will admit that I had "sort of" made the bed, but I generally expect it to be made up again by the cleaning staff.
My daughter (who was the bride), did have issues with her room, as the sheets had never been changed prior to her checking in, and she did not discover that until she went to go to sleep for the night. It took several calls until she finally received the King size sheets required for the bed. As you can well imagine, that did NOT go over well with the soon-to-be bride.
The situation was remedied, eventually, but not until well after midnight, making for a very late night.
Unclean sheets are just not to be tolerated by anyone, and my suggestion would be to make it clear to the staff that all beds are to be made up daily for the clientele, and that it should be documented somewhere that sheets were changed prior to new clientele.
Except for that unfortunate incident, the overall stay was fabulous.
Obviously, there must be an issue with someone on the staff that should be addressed.
But I would not let that part of my review sway you from booking here.
The staff was friendly, the breakfast plentiful, the bed was comfy, the bathroom was large, with extra towels and complimentary shampoo,soap,conditioner, etc.
Our standard room included a hair dryer, and free wi-fi, coffee maker (which we never used because of the fresh coffee available in the lobby.)
Let me mention that the closet was rather small in our standard room, but the rest of the room was large enough to accommodate any items that you might bring.
I would highly recommend this hotel.
But, I would probably advise that you check the sheets when you check in!

Room Tip: The Suites are awesome. Large closets, sofa, bathtub with shower. The "odd" number rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Rachel P, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh - Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
geismom, thank you for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor! First and foremost, please accept my sincerest apologies for the lapse in service that occurred during your daughter's stay with us. This is not at all indicative of the level of service and cleanliness that we are accustomed to offering, and the situation has since been addressed with the appropriate parties. Congratulations to your daughter and son in law on their marriage! Thank you for your kind words of our property, and we are very happy to hear that you would give us another chance the next time that you are in the Pittsburgh area.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend mini-getaway. We are avid bicyclists and wanted to stay somewhere that would be convenient to the bicycle paths, as we hoped to park our vehicle and not move it the entire weekend. This hotel was in a perfect location for that, and would be a good location for anyone wanting to be close to everything. Check in was smooth, and parking is self-park (which I prefer), and free. The hotel was very clean, and our room, a king suite, was huge. The bed was very comfortable, and towels were adequate. Everything was spotless. Our room and the hotel in general was quiet. Breakfast is included (another plus...not all downtown hotels have this), and my husband and I both enjoyed it. He had a make-your-own Belgian waffle, while I opted for the eggs and some fruit. After I had eaten the scrambled eggs, I noticed that there were peeled, hard-boiled eggs available, which is uncommon for a hotel continental breakfast. Next time, I will likely go for those instead. I try to eat "real food" (not processed) as much as possible while my husband eats "whatever," and both of us were able to find something. We were not able to get a late check out as we had hoped, but there was a convention in town, and they must have had many requests for a late check out, as the desk attendant stated that she couldn't give anymore out. Oh well...our fault for not requesting it earlier, and as it is, their check out is noon, which isn't bad. We were just hoping to shower after our bike ride that morning, is all...not a big deal. I did not use the hotel gym or pool, but they do have both. Wifi was free, and so was a copy of the Post Gazette. There is coffee and tea available in the lobby, 24/7, as well, which is nice. The only "con" I have is the price. Mid-$200's, plus tax is more than I'd like to pay for a single night in the Burgh, as much as we love it, and there are other hotels also convenient to the bike path that are about $100s less, a little further out. This time, we splurged, and if we were to splurge again someday, I would stay here again, for sure. To be fair, that price is comparable to other downtown hotels, and is even less than another I was looking at online for that same night...plus parking at that other hotel was valet and extra, and breakfast was not included. All in all, I feel this is a clean, friendly, conveniently-located hotel, and I do recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Rachel P, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh - Downtown, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
LJ Z, Wow! Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We certainly appreciate you touching on our clean, comfortable and spacious rooms, as well as our amazing hot Hampton breakfast! We are happy that both you and your husband found the breakfast enjoyable. I do apologize about the late checkout - typically we are able to accommodate, however as you stated, we did have an abnormally high number of late check outs prior to your request. Thank you for noting that our hotel does infact include parking - as we are the only hotel in Downtown Pittsburgh to provide complimentary parking for all of our guests! Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to seeing you on future trips to Pittsburgh!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I've stayed in many Hampton Inn's in my time and find them to consistently be the best chain for striking the balance between good amenities and value for money. This particular Hampton Inn is no exception.

My room was a very good size, there was ample parking and you're at most a ten minute walk from the heart of downtown.

I'd happily stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Rachel P, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh - Downtown, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
SoloChris, thank you for your review of our hotel! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind words of our clean and comfortable rooms, as well as the ample complimentary parking, and our fantastic location! Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to seeing you the next time that you are in Pittsburgh!

hershey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This is a very nice, clean and friendly hotel, close to a lot of the attractions in the Pittsburgh area. Good hotel if traveling on business or pleasure. Lots of free parking which is important when staying in a large city.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Rachel P, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh - Downtown, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Scott D - thank you for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor! We are very pleased to hear that found our hotel clean and comfortable, with our friendly staff, and in a prime location! We are also happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary parking, as we are the only hotel in Downtown Pittsburgh to offer it! Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you the next time that you are in the Pittsburgh area!

Pittsburgh, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Nice place to stay! The breakfast was consistently excellent and at three in the morning, I could get a cup of hot tea! Will be recommending this place to our friends and family on future trips. I have stayed at other hotels in the same area and this one has them all beat hands down. The room next to us had 5 boisterous children and we never heard a peep from them the entire weekend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Kathryn S - thank you so much for your review! We are very happy to hear that we will be your hotel of choice on future trips to Pittsburgh. We love the hot Hampton breakfast and are glad you were able to enjoy it! Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to seeing you the next time that you are in Pittsburgh!

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This hotel is a gem. It's located right on the perimeter of downtown Pittsburgh, in a relatively quiet neighborhood. The parking is free, which is a bonus in this town! The rooms were very spacious, the staff was friendly and helpful. I plan on staying there again on my next trip!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Rachel P, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh - Downtown, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you, Cameron C, for your review! We are very happy to hear that you were pleased with the hotel accommodations and staff service, and that you were able to take advantage of the only hotel in Downtown Pittsburgh with complimentary parking! Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to seeing you the next time that you are in the Pittsburgh area!

Rachel Pontier

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh - Downtown? Share your experiences!