“My dining experience was terrible.” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
pittsburgh
“My dining experience was terrible.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Went to Red Fin with 5 other people to celebrate an anniversary. We were seated quickly at a table on the patio. The restaurant was busy but not completely full. The waitress took our drink orders and was very nice and friendly. We ordered 5 frozen drinks and one lemonaid. She brought back 3 frozen drinks and said that the bar was very busy but the others would be out soon. She returned after about 10 minutes and said that they were out of lemonaid and strawberry mix for the other drinks. We placed a new order for drinks and again were told that they were out of the drinks after another 5 minute wait. At this time, the appetizer arrived and 3 of us still didn't even have water. We finally received water and then shortly after received our drinks from the bar.

When the dinner arrived I had a plate put in front of me that consisted of tortilla shells with nothing in them. I had ordered a chicken quesadilla. When I told the waitress that there was nothing inside of them (such as chicken), she picked one of the tortilla's up with her fingers and said she gave me the wrong plate and then placed it in front of my friend. She then brought out all the other meals except for one which was a cheese pizza. The waitress apologized several times for the delay but the pizza did not arrive. Everyone was at the end of their meal and still no pizza. I approached the manager and he said he would check on the pizza. He went inside and NOTHING. I got up after another 5 minutes and he was standing inside. I again asked for the pizza. He said that the pizza oven was too small and they were busy. I asked if the order had all gone in at the same time and he replied that it had. He then offered to box the pizza that was just coming out of the oven so we could take it to go. I told him that I would not pay for the pizza and one of the drinks that was also returned back to the bar because it was bad. He did remove the charge for the pizza and one drink but with reluctance.

This was a terrible dining experience. The food was lousy and the manager was terrible. Even the boxed pizza was undercooked. I would never recommend this restaurant .

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Pittsburgh
“I want my old Red Fin back!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I surprised my son with a birthday bike ride along the Three Rivers Heritage Trail with a follow-up dinner at Redfin Blues. I have to say my first visit was in their first month after they had taken over (what used to be the Tiki Bar) and our meals would have been rated a five star as compared to the decline I' ve continued to see post-renovation.

Their location is fabulous at the Washington's Landing boat launch on Herr's Island right along the Allegheny River. Of course the best seat is on the deck when the weather is good, but we were happy to sit indoors today after a rigorous ride in 90 degree heat.

Our first impression of the service was confusion. There were two greeters outdoors, but neither greeted, asked or explained the seating arrangements. When we found an open table indoors, the waitress seemed confused that we were seating ourselves indoors, but we are easy-going and worked through that as well. We did eventually get our waitress to smile and she kept our drink glasses filled. Suggestion: use pitchers to refill iced tea at the table and bring new glasses for those products that are filled at the bar - don't take the glasses from the table with their straws to be refilled out of site. It's a hygiene thing that even my twelve year old commented on.

The seafood based menu is extensive enough with an additional assortment of dishes so that the carnivore or snacker wouldn't go hungry. We ordered the Chilean Salmon and the Grilled Salmon sandwich and I have to say they know how to prepare their seafood. The Salmon was wonderful. I wish I could say the rest of our dinner was that good, however, the sides were less than satisfying. The oldbay rice was bland, the grilled (?) zucchini and onions were overcooked, the salad from a bag with a couple tomato and cucumber slices was awful and served with a less-than-adequate amount of dressing. The seafood bisque fell short at an exhorbitant amount for a cup. How about adding a lemon slice to the cup and a sprinkle of dill across the top or serving a seafood dish with lemon on the side, especially when it was requested. A couple of olives, a pepperocini and a sprinkle of cheese would have improved the dinner salad tremendously. Too many shortcuts and little details have been overlooked that would bring them back to what I first remember about this place.

That being said, I will be back. I know what to expect and we have yet to try their AYCE Crab legs at $24 a plate any day of the week. I don't know that I would recommend Red Fin to friends only because I wouldn't put my reputation on the line for a restaurant who has put their reputation on the line. We continue to hold out hope that they will come back to the five star we remember.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Summer, here I come.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

Summer, here I come.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great deck over the allegheny. Can ride your bike right up to the restaurant from the north shore trail. Food and...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2007

Great deck over the allegheny. Can ride your bike right up to the restaurant from the north shore trail. Food and service iffy at best.