“Authentic Mexican and good” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Las Velas

Las Velas
21 Market Square, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 (Downtown)
412-281-8180
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #568 of 1,924 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Las Velas Mexican Restaurant is located in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh in historic Market Square above Prantl’s Bakery and Mancini Bread Company.Opening in fall of 2009, it includes a fun atmosphere, excellent bar options, and a flavorful menu of recipes inspired by Mexico City and the Riviera Maya region of Mexico.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Authentic Mexican and good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Service was excellent and as my wife said teriyaki food was authentic Mexican and she would know having lived in California for 20 years. We will return.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not impressed, but not terrible either”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Service was poor, the food was just OK. My fish tacos were on the cold side. My wife's enchilladas were OK. She requested 1/2 chicken, 1/2 steak, but got all steak.

The atmosphere was hectic, mainly due to a large number of children < 5. Seating is very open, with no booths (not intimate).

Our waiter brought us the wrong check (which was about twice as much as we were expecting). He disappeared for quite a while after that, so it took a long time to notify him of the error. After he gave us the correct check, he again disappeared and we had to wait a long time for him to process the credit card.

If we were in the area again, we would probably try a different restaurant.

Visited November 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“The waiter made the meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We went there because we read about the restaurant in Pittsburgh Magazine. We always like to try the recommended restaurants and form our own opinion. I had fish tacos--mahi mahi. We were there around 12:30 on a slow Saturday, and as other diners noted, I always worry if a restaurant only has one other table with a customer. Not to worry. Jorge, the waiter, was the consummate professional. Someone you expect to find at Eleven or Soba, not at a casual restaurant. The chips were light. The guacamole was a bit mild for us, but it was fresh and if it wasn't home made, it fooled me. Someone asked who charges for chips & salsa and my answer matches another reviewer: everyone outside of Tucson!

My husband had Enchiladas Cena with chorizo and steak, topped with a mole sauce. It was spicy--spicy then and spicy the rest of the afternoon!

I didn't rate it five stars because I usually reserve that for a place that I'm eager to return to. If we were in Market Square, we'd probably stop by again, but it wouldn't be a destination restaurant. It was good, but it wasn't stunningly different from other local Mexican places...except for Jorge.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, PA
“Best Margs in the 412”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Las Velas is a great place to stop by with friends for happy hour. Their margaritas are the best I have had in the city and I absolutely love their chips and different kinds of dips.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lafayette, Indiana
“Best of Intentions...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was very excited to try Las Velas. I'd followed about the devastating fire and their reopening. I'm a big fan of Mexican food. I love the Market Square area.

However, as my first visit on a slow Saturday afternoon -- it was disappointing at best.

When we arrived, the restaurant was slow, but I don't mind that -- we'd planned to go between lunch/dinner rush. But as we were told by our waiter/bartender, there was an issue with another employee calling-off/not showing up for the shift. There were only a couple tables, so I didn't mind the wait.

Or I thought I didn't.

We ordered drinks [margaritas], chips/salsa, tacos and enchiladas. The drinks were tasty and potent. The chips/salsa was pretty good. However, the food took over 40 minutes to arrive and when it did -- it was cold. All of it. Beans, rice, tacos, enchiladas like they'd never been heated. The cheese wasn't even melted on the tacos.

No, I didn't mention it to the waiter because honestly, I could barely get his attention for silver/napkins and extra plates to share the meal.

Would I be willing to try it again? Probably if I were downtown -- but I wouldn't take the time to make a special trip into the city.

I've read some of the other reviews and it's hit or miss. You either love it or not -- there's really no in between. So I say -- take your chances...

• Visited October 2012