“Vegan friendly but ..” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Vegan, Vegetarian, Ice Cream
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: Quiet Storm, est. 2001, is Pittsburgh's favorite vegetarian & vegan cafe, serving breakfast, lunch & dinner daily. Award-winning Sunday brunch. Large vegan pastry selection. Killer milkshakes. Full-service catering. BYOB. Ample on-street parking. Best of Pittsburgh 4 years running!
Atlanta, Georgia
“Vegan friendly but ..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

I was there a year or two ago and the vegan shakes were outstanding . This last trip they did not have them. Service was uninspired and the vegan dishes well seasoned and spotty in their cocsistentcy. Still like it but they are not trying very hard to please the customer

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

PA
“What a delightful, delicious place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Off the beaten path, not fancy, very low key, great atmosphere, amazing vegan/vegetarian food

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
McMurray, Pennsylvania
“If it looks like hummus, and tastes like hummus...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

My husband and I stopped for dinner last night before heading to the open house at the Pittsburgh Glass Center. The restaurant was busy; most of the tables in the front portion were filled, but there was alot of room in the "lounge" area. Our server came to take drink orders "Besides water" right away. They do have a really nice assortment of drinks available - coffees, tea, milkshakes etc..I ordered a Mexican Hot Chocolate to take the chill off and my husband ordered the key lime milkshake - both were very delicious. For our dinner, we decided on the Green Chile Dip for an appetizer, the Chili, and the Blackadilla quesadilla. We waited a bit for our appetizer. Another server brought over our appetizer, looked it over, and said "yes, that's the green chili dip" and remarked it looked just like the hummus on the menu. it was served with white and wheat pita wedges, not the tortilla chips as mentioned on the menu. We tried it. It was hummus. We called over our server. He took away the plate and came back. "No, that is the green chili dip. It looks just like the hummus." Well, it TASTES just like the hummus too. I did see a couple of minuscule green pieces in there, but it was definitely a hummus base. Our food came next. I thought my Blackadilla was good, but the food was not very warm. It was a very large portion that I think 2 people could easily share. The Chili, a 2 bean stew with no meat, was spicy and flavorful. I liked the lighter taste without the meat. It came with a tortilla to dip. Not sure what my husband was expecting, but I don't think he cared for it much. It was a large size bowl that could have been shared also. Our server stopped by and told us the green chili dip would be removed from our bill. He said it is not one of his favorites...wish he had spoken up sooner!
We wrapped up our leftovers, and I decided to use the restroom before we left. OMG. If I had seen what they call a restroom before I had eaten, I would have eaten elsewhere. I just heard this week that you should judge the cleanliness of a restaurant's kitchen by the public restroom...this was the kind of bathroom one would find in a long-forgotten basement somewhere! Yuck.
So in summary, the server did a good job, the food was okay and the restroom was deplorable. Maybe in its heyday this was a great spot, but I think the place needs a good scrub down to bring it back to life.

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good vegetarian food, deplorable restroom”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Not being a vegetarian, I was delighted to have such good food served, at such a reasonable price. The place was quite crowded and a little noisy, but bearable. It isn't unreasonable to expect a restroom, that doesn't make you quiver. If you can survive, without using the restroom, all the better. They could easily raise the prices slightly, and do some remodeling.

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Funky restaurant with good food, sometimes good, sometimes snarky service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Funky restaurant with good food, sometimes good, sometimes snarky service. Very interesting and tasty food. Decor is sort of garage sale chic. I would prefer a more streamlined look, but the food is good and not too many choices in Pittsburgh for vegetarian. Call ahead, they seem to have somewhat erratic hours.

Visited October 2011