“great food, great decor, but” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #181 of 1,874 restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Thai
St. Petersburg, Florida
“great food, great decor, but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I really do like this place. And my friends love it also for their great tasting fresh food. They even commented on how easy it is on their digension. (lots of fresh vegies) But I have to say just a few things that would really make this place great, if they care to make some changes. Recently I ordered the Thia red tea. What I got was a mixture from concentrate! I made many complaints about it. How simple can it be to make fresh tea with condensed milk and ice! I can make it and have, my self many times.
OK, second and this is really the big thing. Get some air conditioning! There is NO air moving in this place on my two times there. Even the waitress was complaining! It was in the 80s and I was sweating while just sitting there! This is a deal breaker for me!
Hey, my wife is Khmer and that is all she cooks. Their food is as good if not better, but fix the rest and it would be great!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

95% Recommend
Warren, Pennsylvania
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012 via mobile

I was very impressed with angkor! I ordered the green curry with tofu to go and it was ready in about 10 minutes. The food was really good. There was plentiful tofu but i wish they would have added more veggies. I would definitely go there again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
shakeitsgreat
“Old style family place, with tasty south asian offerings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I didn't think much about this place when we first walked in. It looks a lot like every other "Chinese" restaurant in a strip mall: dark carpet, wooden chairs, lots of elephants.

However, the dishes we ordered for lunch were all prepared fresh and featured many ingredients I did not expect in West Pitt. The Fresh Spring Rolls were very tasty as was the house appetizer soup.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane
“Americanised Thai Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

As Australian and someone who has been to Thailand quite a bit I have eaten some fantastic Thai. This is food that has been Americanised. And by American standards its good food. OF course as an Australian I expect Thai food to have more vegetables and given that its PA the seafood will be frozen... The Pad Thai had too many noodles and not enough vegetables. The fragant vegetable soup .. well done. The fresh spring rolls ... well .. the prawns had been frozen .. not use to that .. but given that nearly as good as mine. The owners are from Laos and should have promoted that more.

This was possible the only decent meal I had in an entire week in PA.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Akron, Ohio, USA
“Nicely prepared dishes.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

The quality and level of preparation care was evident in all three dishes, so on that basis, it's an excellent rating from me. The lemongrass soup was exceptionally good with tofu or chicken. The vegetable rolls are pricey, but delicate and the accompanying sauce very nice.

The place is furnished comfortably and sufficed for my birthday celebration, but the welcoming drops off. Not sure why. Maybe it was a worker just standing in the kitchen doorway. Maybe the waitress, who was kind enough, but not interactive. Things could be a little cleaner. Their menu isn't always accurate on ingredients used. For example, they no longer prepare wonton soup with pork or chives. They simply haven't updated the menu. Still the dishes were great and I'd come back again if staying in the area.