“Horrible food” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chaya Japanese Cuisine

Chaya Japanese Cuisine
2032 Murray Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15217 (Squirrel Hill South)
(412) 422-2082
Neighborhood: Squirrel Hill South
Neighborhood: Squirrel Hill South
“Horrible food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We ordered chicken teriyaki, beef teriyaki and salmon teriyaki. Usually those teriyakis cant go wrong in jap rest but this tht the meat has no taste as its been soaked in the water.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles
“Better sushi in a grocery store!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Have you ever bought sushi from a grocery store? You know the type, it comes in a plastic box with the soy sauce and wasabi in a packet. The rice is like one solid mass and the seaweed is chewy. That's exactly what this sushi was like, only worse. I think they prepare the rolls in advance. Couldn't say for sure as they wouldn't seat me at the sushi bar as it was closed???? Not sure what it was, perhaps the seaweed wrap that made it soooooo salty. Then the sashimi comes one piece at a time for $3.75 each and it's both small and bland. To top it off, they got my order wrong, that is they gave me a roll I didn't ask for. And yes, they charged me for it. Don't waste your money.

Visited April 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Simply Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

First of all, I am a person who is very picky about their sushi and if I don't find it satisfactory then i never return. Let me tell you that I plan on returning several times. The atmosphere is great, it makes you feel like your in an authentic and traditional Japanese restaurant with everything made of wood, even the serving dishes.

To top it all off, the food is simply amazing. My girlfriend and I visited the restaurant after our favorite sushi chef in Oakland moved away, ever since we been searching for a new sushi restaurant and I honestly think our search has come to an end. They have any kind of sushi you can think of, if it isn't on the menu just ask, and the best part is that it is incredibly affordable.

The only thing i can think of to make this place better is to have it open more than 5 hours. It is kind of tough to get their between 5 and 9:30, but other than that I have no problems with Chaya and expect to be returning their in the near future.

• Visited July 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“BEST restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

For my wife and me, CHAYA is the BEST restaurant in the world! Really.
We are world travelers and have tried many cuisines and categories of establishments, but the overall dining experience, quality of food, service, value, etc. is Chaya.

We absolutely love the sashimi and sushi at Chaya and all of the authentic Japanese food put together by Yasu -- the owner/chef!

Kampai!

• Visited February 2013
Pittsburgh
“Authentic Japanese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Delicious sushi, beautiful presentation, friendly and attentive service, Japanese decor. The mochi ice cream was yummy, too (comes with one each: green tea and red bean). Love it!!!