“Best Happy Hour” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kaya

Kaya
2000 Smallman St, Pittsburgh, PA 15222-4428 (Strip District)
(412) 261-6565
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kaya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 1,720 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cross street: 20th Street
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best Happy Hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

I was recommended this place by a friend as a last minute idea to go out for Fat Tuesday. Their Happy Hour is awesome, nearly all drafts and wine are half off from 5-7. I'm a big craft beer fan and they have close to 20 on tap. Their liquor selection is huge, a lot of top shelf liquor. We only had an appetizer to munch on, and it was fantastic. I would highly recommend their homemade chips and bean dip.

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Pittsburgh, PA
“Disappointing Dinner at Kaya”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

I'm very disappointed to have to write this review of Kaya. I've enjoyed many lunches, dinners and brunch at the restaurant, but one bad experience has changed my opinion of the restaurant

On January 25, I brought a colleague of mine to Kaya for dinner after I raved about their mussels appetizer I had enjoyed just two weeks earlier. We arrived at Kaya just before 8:00 and were promptly seated by their lovely host.

After being seated for several minutes and not hearing from our waitress, another waiter brought water to the table. Eventually, our waitress, Lisa, came to the table and took our drink order (1 red sangria pitcher). We also ordered the jamaican jerk wings (extra crispy). Drinks were good and the wings arrived as ordered.

When the clock turned 9:00 and we still hadn't received our entrees (two mussel appetizers) I asked the waitress, as she passed by, where our food was? Sarcastically, she said "It's coming". Less than 5 minutes later the sad mussel dishes arrived. They were lukewarm, most likely because they had been sitting in the kitchen waiting to be picked up for quite some time. As I pointed out earlier in this post, I had had this dish two weeks earlier and it was divine. The dish lacked the delicious, creamy broth that had accompanied the mussels, sausage and green apple. It was very minimal. Lastly, the corn bread was undercooked and gooey on the inside.

I figured the waitress would not come to ask how our meals were, because I don't know how she could have not realized that they looked like hell. She did, however, stop by a few minutes after bringing us our meals to ask how everything was. My response? I was thoroughly disappointed with the meal, to which she quickly said she'd get the manager.

Lisa walks away and goes to the register area near the bar where she begins talking to a gentleman (who I later find out is the manager). They talk and tinker around on the register for a couple minutes, but he never comes to the table. <Side note> Wouldn't the first thing you would do, if you were a manager and received a complaint, go to the table? Not this guy. So, I get up and go to him myself. I introduce myself, shake his hand and tell him what happened. Mind you, the waitress was standing next to him still. At that point, Joe, told me that the reason he didn't come over to the table was because they were removing the two mussel apps for the bill. Thanks, Joe! Really, thanks! But...I would have rather you came over to my table after the waitress went to talk to you rather than fussing around with taking money off my bill. Perhaps an apology, offer a free round of drinks, something? Nope just an apology for not coming over soon.

The night ended with a cup of coffee and thoughts about whether I would return any time soon. Likely not. In fact, I won't be recommending Kaya or eating at the restaurant any time soon.

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Love it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

The Jambalaya is the best a little pricy but is worth every penny can't wait to go back

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth Amboy, New Jersey
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

My husband and I went for Sunday brunch and ordered 2 inventive dishes that blew us away! We had the crispy yet tender-on-the-inside corn and lentil beignets that came with an awesome green curry dipping sauce which was spice-y, creamy, and smacking of pep from its gingery bite. The carribean paella was fantastic as well, with the carribbean twist from morsels of fresh pineapple that contrasted well with the other traditional components of a paella. However, nothing could prepare us for the absolutely amazing dessert...a crumbly but rich chocolate torte with pecans, crowned by house-made creamy-savory chipotle ice cream. This was the embodiment of the perfect chili-chocolate marriage! This dessert has to be in the top 5 of my all time most memorable desserts!

And the best part was the price...we actually thought our meal was UNDERPRICED for the immense enjoyment it gave us! Our waitress was knowledgeable and attentive but wasn't hounding us. The manager was visible and stopped by a couple times to check on us. We sat inside and liked the cool vibe.

So if we ever find ourselves in western PA again, we will make it a point to eat at Kaya again!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Buffalo, New York
“A pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

I have to say, the presentation and ambiance is superb. I enjoyed the service and was pleasently surprised by the presentation of each dish. Well done!

• 5 of 5 stars Food