“Wonderful sushi!” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Umi
5849 Ellsworth Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15232 (Shadyside)
(412) 362-6198
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Umi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #399 of 1,924 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cross street: College Avenue
Cooper City, Florida
“Wonderful sushi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The place to have sushi! Have enjoyed the wonderful fresh sushi the past few visits. The only sushi resturant in Hendersonville NC and the price is right! A must do!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Overrated.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

For all of the hype, we expected something terrific. The waiter was condesending and treated us like we were highly uneducated because we did not understand every item on the menu. He discouraged us from ordering several different items that we wanted and made suggestions that we did not enjoy. If you want a unique, amazing meal... try tamari. This was overall a terrible expirence, no plans to return.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excellent sushi. Excellent service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We were in Pittsburgh house hunting and checked out umi on a recommendation. It was awesome. The sushi was some of the best I have eaten. Our server was a great host. He really knew his stuff and guided us through an awesome experience. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Aborted”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Based on other reviews I wanted to try Umi. I walked in early without a reservation and the sushi bar was completely empty. The host was arrogant, condescending and generally a dong so I left without eating. Perhaps my experience was singular but it will be a long time until I walk into that establishment again. I have no objection to a $50 per person minimum at the bar but life is too short to experience the disrespect thereto forthcoming.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Who said Pittsburgh does not have world class restaurants?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My wife and I are foodies and sushi lovers. I have been to many great sushi places in at least 3 continents. I must say Umi, under the watchful eyes of Mr. Shu is the best. The food is carefully prepared and beautifully presented. We like to sit at the bar and ask Mr. Shu to feed us (Chef Omikasi). You will taste heaven. Unfortunately this is not a cheap event. Be prepared to pay a lot of $$....

• Visited July 2011