“a quibble please” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Monterey Bay Fish Grotto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 1,899 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Sweetbriar Street
Description: Thank you for considering Monterey Bay Fish Grotto for your affair. This award-winning restaurant has always taken pride in its level of standards and excellence. These exceptional standards are reflected in the mouth-watering fresh fish and impeccable service. Guests have come to expect this level of quality in every aspect of the main dining room as well as the private dining rooms. Monterey Bay Fish Grotto's fish is fresh and flown in from a number of locations on the East Coast, West Coast and Hawaiian Islands. for this reason we are the regions Premier Fresh Fish Restaurant offering 20 kinds of fresh fish in an array of original, delicious styles.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“a quibble please”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Too much of a good thing? Having seen many comments in restaurant reviews about customers being ignored, can I really complain about too much attention? Our server was constantly at the table with inane questions as well as the host and the busboy. Easily a dozen or more visits.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Could be wonderful, is just very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We went for my birthday treat and, as luck would have it, a table by the window had just become vacant (you can't book them in advance). The views are stupendous which is why they charge so much (the next table had 4 people who spent all the time, when not eating, on their phones - what a shame that they got a window table). The bread was nice but served with dreadful whipped cream or butter or something. The waitress was pleasant - though she gave different information on the specials to the table next to us. We shared a starter of crabcake (waitress said it was the best ever - we've had better), shrimp (OK, but sauce was wrong) and fish kebab - the best thing on the plate, with a good sauce that complimented the flavours. And a weird wedge of lemon with a sprig of rosemary inserted at a jaunty angle. I was still eating when the busboy tried to take my plate away - he did the same to a woman at the next table - and stretched across me, also when eating, to fill my water glass; needs some supervision or training.
For my main course I had the swordfish with crab (which turned out to be unnecessary), asparagus and hollandaise sauce. This classic would have been a lot better if it hadn't been kept warm so the sauce had dried out - I didn't want to complain as it was a birthday treat for me, but the chef should have known not to send it out. Luckily the fish wasn't too overcooked though it would have been better less well done. The accompanying risotto was really good. My companion had shark, which he said was very good but later told me that it was slightly overcooked and appeared to have been kept warm...
My pudding was free as it was my birthday - a crème brullee with an almond cookie. Both were good but did not pair well - I would love the cookie with a coffee but it was too much with the crème, a tuile would have been better. My companion's pudding obviously didn't make an impact as he wasn't sure which he had chosen.
Wine by the glass was good but should have been at the exorbitant prices they charge - and a classier establishment would know that I had a glass of Mumm Napa, not champagne. (As a company with a French parent, Mumm Napa never calls it champagne, as they know that the legal definition of champagne is wine from Champagne; a small quibble but if you've trying to be posh, little things make the difference).
Oh, and I would love to get rid of their bucket loads of fake flowers and grasses.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Oh.
“Great Night at Monterey Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We were here to celebrate my retirement. We were greeted at our table by Skylar, one of the managers. Our waiter, Mark, was very knowledgeable and attentive throughout our entire meal. All four of us had delicious fish entrees. We had two side dishes (tri-colored potatoes and the vegetable mix) which were large enough for all four of us to share. I had Oreo cheesecake for dessert and was very happy to be sharing it with my boyfriend since the portion was very generous. The panoramic view of the city is gorgeous and was a special treat for me since I no longer live in the area. We had a wonderful evening at Monterey Bay and look forward to our next meal there.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“great view, fresh fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I went to the Fish Grotto with a group of about 12 people, for a business dinner.
1. The view from the Grotto is great! The restaurant is on the top floor of a building that is already on the top of a bluff overlooking the city.
2. They appear to have very fresh fish. We had a mussels appetizer, and those can be nasty if not fresh. These were good. I also had crab cakes, which tasted quite fresh, and had lots of crab chunks rather than filler.
3. Service for a group can often be poor, but they did a good job for us. Everyone's food arrived about the same time. The only criticism was they took a long time on wine service.

Visited June 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Maybe As Good As It's Ever Been”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Four of us celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary. Prompt seating on a busy wed. night. Top notch service and fabulous food. My ahi tuna tempura was worth the $17 for an appetizer. The fresh trout was perfect. The others had filet and lobster tail and Sole. There is no view like this in Pittsburgh or, for that matter,the world. Like many reviewers said, be prepared for the cost. Our bill with tip was $305 for four people. Over all it was a great way to show our out of town guests (never been to Pittsburgh) the best.

• 5 of 5 stars Food