“Misaki or Mistakie, you Decide” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,013 of 1,924 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Japanese
Oceanside, California
“Misaki or Mistakie, you Decide”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I went to Misaki Buffet, on Saw Mill Run blvd, just before Christmas because we had a coupon and because we had a jones for some Chinese buffet and Sushi/Sashimi. The restaurant itself is very large, apparently once an Italian restaurant, and even had a roaring fireplace. How many times do you see that in a Chinese Buffet? The décor was kind of Rome meets Shanghai with Rome sort of winning the style battle.

The food was very average with the various entrees a little too cold, even though they were in the steam table. The miso soup had no tofu and you had to add dried seaweed. One thing to remember, dried seaweed goes a very very long way, I added two teaspoons of seaweed to my soup and it soon became a giant bowl of solid seaweed threatening to crawl out of the bowl. Lesson learned, dried seaweed grows 10fold when you add moisture.

The Sushi and Sashimi was strange, tasted like it was made by outer space aliens trying to replicate our food but not quite getting it right. I did not find anything approaching good and most was barely edible.

The Shrimp and Veggie tempura was good but was also a little to cold to breed a lot of confidence. Tempura is not a dish "best served cold".

I would not recommend Misaki, it is only OK at best.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Detroit, Michigan
“So-So Sushi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

After hearing a lot of good reviews from family members we decided to try out Misaki on our recent trip to Pittsburgh, especially for the sushi. Sadly we must be really spoilt with our local family run Japanese sushi bars that Misaku fell under par when it comes to the Sushi at the buffet although there is a lot of to pick from and try - there's certainly worse sushi out there, but it's nothing to write home about.

Staff were all friendly, there's certainly a huge selection of items to choose from, and it was a good experience especially when you consider the price. Also appears to be very popular as it was very busy when we visited on a Saturday lunch.

Overall, if your use to fresh, made to order sushi this might disappoint.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Horrible Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to give this buffet a try on Friday, October 11, 2013. This was the worst buffet we have ever eaten at in the last 10 years. To start, the parking lot was empty at 5:30 on a Friday night-that should have been our first clue that the experience would be a disaster. The buffet items were warm at best with some being room temperature and some cold. The Asian items presented had been on the buffet well past their prime and not good tasting. The fried foods were soggy from sitting on the buffet too long. The sign on the building as well as the website advertise all you can eat lobster on Friday and Saturday nights but no lobster was on the buffet. When my boyfriend asked where to find the lobster our waitress informed us that there was no lobster that day and that lobster was on Monday only? After our first trip to the buffet, my boyfriend noticed a stink bug hanging above his head. We asked to see the manager. When he arrived at our table, he asked "what do you want me to do about it?" We had hoped to be moved to a different table. After all, the place was almost empty. Insulted by the manager's attitude, I asked for the check. When I received it, they had charged us the $21.95 for the lobster buffet with no lobster available. We asked to see the manager again. The manager returned and took $9.00 off of the total. Are you kidding me?? I would recommend eating at BD's Mongolian Grill in South Side Works if you want an all you can eat buffet. The items are fresh and cooked to order. The service, the food and experience will be much more pleasant. I would not recommend Misaki to a stranger on the street. In fact as we were leaving, patrons in the parking lot were asked about the buffet. Needless to say, we gave them an honest response and they got back in their cars and left.

Visited October 2013
Pittsburgh
“Great buffet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch. Huge variety of sushi rolls and fried foods. Drink menu is also extensive - the sangria comes in a large bowl with a flaming volcano in the middle. Very reasonable price for the buffet.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Pennsylvania
“Awesome fresh selection of sushi and seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Misaki is about 45 minutes from us, but worth the drive every time. The variety of sashimi, nigiri, and maki on the buffet is always fresh and prepared well. I also like that they change it up, you don't always have the same boring rolls. They also have a hibachi grill, amazing dessert selections, cold and hot seafood selections. It still has a "buffet" atmosphere, but you can tell the staff tries to maintain a nicer ambiance. During cooler seasons they have a beautiful fireplace going in one of the dining rooms. Huge booths are available that are "U" shaped and comfortably seat a family of 4. We enjoy sushi and seafood buffets and have tried different ones within a 30+ mile radius of where we live. This is now our "go to" spot when wanting a nice meal.

• Visited May 2013