“The good and the bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side

You added HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side to your Saves list
HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2795 South Water Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203 (Southside Flats)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Romance Package
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
“The good and the bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We stayed here for two nights for a weekend getaway. The first night just my husband and I. The second night, our kids joined us. I will start with the good:
-Nice Lobby and outdoor patio. It's a beautiful view of the river.
-The Valet guys were very nice.
-Breakfast was good. Lots of seating and space to maneuver. The omelet station was a nice touch.
-Spacious rooms with a nice kitchenette. It was well stocked. We enjoyed having the table.
-Staff were really great, especially the breakfast attendants. They were out of Awake tea both days. I asked if they had any caffeinated tea and both days the staff did their best to find some. There were glass bins with English and Irish breakfast teas on the shelves. Wasn't sure why they didn't have any in the kitchen? Linda was especially nice and helpful.
-Comfortable beds.
-Quiet AC/heat
-Big workout room with lots of machines.
-Lots of outlets in the room. Especially helpful, outlets in the base of the lamps.
-TV inputs so you can connect your computer. The TV's are large flat screens.
-Fast WiFi
-The location is great. It's a beautiful area with a nice park and bike trail right behind the hotel. You can walk to shops and restaurants.
Now for the not so good.... Do you know when you stop at a red light and someone with their radio very loud pulls up next to you? Your head feels like it's going to explode? That was our room for 3 1/2 hours on our first night. They have a tent in the courtyard and there was some kind of party with what looked like teenagers. The music was so loud that we couldn't watch TV without turning it up loud enough to give you a headache. I talked to the 'Hyatt Host' who said all she could do was gaurentee that at 11:01 she would shut them down. I suggested that she ask them to turn it down and she agreed (I spoke to her the next day and she said there was some reason he couldn't turn it down). She apologized and did say she was going to speak to the sales people about the noise issue. I told her the window was actually vibrating from it. I used Gold Passport points for my stay but the rate was over $250 a night. What a waste (of my points too). Our room was right above the tent so I'm sure it was worse in our room than ones that were farther away. Here is a video of it. You can hear the windows shaking. This doesn't quite do it justice but gives you a sense of how annoying it was: http://youtu.be/y62HeExCHgk
So part of the reason I'm writing this is in the hopes of management seeing it. If you are going to have a party that loud, don't use the tent. Or install some super fantastic sound proof windows. It ruins the night for paying guests.
There were a few other issues that I probably would have overlooked if I wasn't already annoyed.
-No DVD player our room
-No regular tea out at breakfast (I don't drink coffee, really look forward to the Tzao Awake tea).
-Small pool/no hot tub ( not freezing tho).
-No curtains over the windows. It lets tons of light in the room at night from the brightly lit courtyard. And the sun in the morning. Woke me up at 6:30 both days.
-It's nice to have the option of the sleep couch but it's uncomfortable. It was fine for my 11 year old. But my 14 year old slept on the floor. Next time I will ask for a 2 bedroom.
-There was a good bit if dust on the lamps, top of the refrigerator and higher shelves. My husband is 6'2", he noticed it.
-Housekeeping did not leave any extra rolls of toilet paper. Had to track them down in the hallway.
-Water pressure was low. Not sure if it was just our room?
I wish it had been a better stay. Despite the issues, my kids really liked it. I might give it another try because it's close to home. But I will make sure there are no parties in the courtyard before I choose a dare. And that I book far enough in advance to get a river view. I requested one but we overlooked the courtyard.

• Stayed April 2014
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Gandycat,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay. We appreciate your honest assessment regarding the positive aspects, as well as opportunities for improving our guest experience. I sincerely apologize for the noise disturbances you encountered from the party in the courtyard and regret the other areas where we fell short of meeting your expectations. We value your business and hope you will give us another opportunity to provide the rewarding stay that you deserve. Thank you again.

Michael Rhoten, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Daniel Island, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Just finished a one night stay at the Hyatt house. The hotel seems newer and everything was clean. The location was good. A few good restaurants within walking distance. Hotel staff was nice with an exception to the bartender who was more interested to the penguins hockey game than serving a drink. We were also placed in a handicap room room which was a disappointment and they weren't able to change rooms. The downfall to the handicap room is that there is no table/Island to eat food on in the room.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jered C,
Thank you for writing a review and sharing your kind comments regarding our clean hotel and great location. We regret the disappointment with your room, as well as the inconsistency in service that you experienced during your stay. We’ve shared your comments with our team so we can do a better job of consistently providing the exceptional service our guests deserve. We do hope you’ll stay with us again in the future. Thank you once again for writing.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in a standard king room. We were just looking to get away for a few nights, and this hotel was AWESOME! Great location, was a 10 minute drive to basically anything downtown, and there was a lot to do right nearby. Valet parking was nice, the staff was friendly.

Kitchenette was great, even though we didn't need it. It was nice to know that we could bring dessert back from the Cheesecake Factory (2 min walk away) and put it in the fridge for a midnight snack! There was also a full stove, microwave, plates & silverware, etc. Bed was very comfortable, we were so happy with it and we are very pick because at home we have a sleepnumber bed. Bathroom was great, very modern. Be aware no tub though.

We had room 234 was great because it had a riverview but we did not pay extra for it. It wasn't a direct view, it was kind of a side view. It was very pretty, but the downside was that the courtyard hotel area was below our window and sometimes it got noisy. We mainly noticed this when we took an afternoon nap though, so we can't complain too much! :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
rsd610,
We appreciate hearing from you and thank you for writing a review from your visit to Hyatt House Pittsburgh South Side. It’s great to know you and your husband enjoyed a great getaway at our hotel. We’re glad our comfortable accommodations and convenient location exceeded your expectations. Please come back for another visit in the future. Thanks again.

Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

My fiance and I came up to Pittsburgh for a relaxing pre-wedding getaway. It was very easy to find, right in the middle of the South Side Works shopping area. That means there were many restaurants and shopping opportunities right there, which we will definitely take advantage of on a longer visit. We've never used valet parking before, but the staff was helpful and it was a breeze. Plus it was only $14 for the night for us to know that our car is secure.Check in was very easy, they even accommodated us to check in a bit early and the front desk staff was very nice and welcoming. The staff was very friendly and helped us find a fun bar to watch the Penguins game. Carson St. has so many options we needed some guidance. They had even organized a shuttle from the hotel to the Consol Energy Center if we had wanted to go, there were a few spots left, but we did not have tickets to the game. I just thought that was really cool of them to organize such a thing. Very thoughtful. The lobby area/common areas were very modern and comfortable. It made me feel very at home. Everything in our room was very clean and tidy with great amenities. The shower was fantastic! I love those big glass door walk-ins. The bed was very soft and I always love when hotels have white bedding. We also loved the way the tv would swivel 180 degrees so it may be seen from the bed or the couch. The kitchenette in the room was neat, we didn't use it, but if you were staying for an extended period of time, I am sure it would be useful, there were even pots, pans, and dishes. The breakfast buffet was very delicious and filling and had many options. The coffee was a bit too strong for my taste, but I believe it was Starbucks brand which would explain why. They did have a large variety of Tazo teas so I opted for that instead. We even sat on the beautiful deck overlooking the river while we enjoyed our tea, it was a very relaxing start to our day.

All in all, everything was really lovely. A great experience especially for the price, and is still accessible to all parts Pittsburgh. I will recommend this place to anyone who asks and we will be staying here again on our next visit.

Room Tip: If you have a room on the side of the hotel next to the Hoffbrau House, you will hear a bit of a hum...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
SteelPenguin71,
Thank you for your review and recommendations of Hyatt House Pittsburgh South Side. It's fantastic to hear that you had a wonderful experience and we're glad our amenities and comfortable accommodations made you feel right at home. We look forward to your next visit and hope you'll stay a little longer so you can take advantage of all that our area has to offer. Best wishes for your wedding and thank you again for the great review.

Erie, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed here on the last night of a road trip! We were looking to relax after a couple days of driving around. The Hyatt House met our expectations. We arrived at 1:00pm and they checked us in early. If the valet don't come right out when you pull up in front of the hotel, just go in to let them know you need your car parked. They are usually right inside the door. It is $14 dollars for the night. The main lobby is one floor up from the entrance. You can take the elevator or the stairs. We had a king room with a nice river view. Loved having the little kitchen, living room, and the TV that swivels around so you can watch it in the bedroom area too. Big bathroom with a nice walk-in shower. My only complaint about the room was the bed and pillows were too hard. Everyone has a preference so you can't please everyone. There is a nice terrace overlooking the river with plenty of seating, and a cool fire pit. We went to the Hofbrauhaus (family friendly) right next door for lunch. Very lively place, and good German food. Lots of shops and other restaurants in the area. We went to McCormick and Schmicks for dinner, good steaks and seafood, and only a couple of blocks away. Whenever we travel we like to be able to park the car and just walk as much a we can. The river walk right outside the hotel is great, lots of people out on it when we were there. The free breakfast is better than most other hotels. There is a fresh omelet station, and lots of hot/cold options. They also have fresh fruit, which is a big plus for me. It wasn't too crowded at 730am, but probably is later in the morning. Overall, we really enjoyed the hotel and the surrounding area, and would stay here again!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
LuvBloomies,
Thank you for choosing Hyatt House Pittsburgh on the last night of your road trip. We're thrilled you had an opportunity to enjoy the conveniences of our hotel, as well as the many entertainment options that our surrounding area has to offer. We value your feedback on all aspects of your visit and thank you again for writing. We hope you'll return for another relaxing stay again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this property and was very pleased with our stay. We really had a great experience overall. The valet team was very friendly and always retrieved our car quickly. The front desk staff was also very professional and gave us a nice introduction to the property and the area. The area around the hotel is convenient with restaurants, shopping, and a movie theater. The complimentary omelet station within the hotel made for a great and filling breakfast. The rooms have all of the extras that a family can really appreciate (a refrigerator, microwave, etc).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
HotelGeographer,
We’re happy to hear of your pleasant stay and appreciate you sharing all the aspects that made for a great experience at Hyatt House Pittsburgh South Side. Your compliments regarding our friendly service, value added amenities, and convenient location highlight our strengths in providing exceptional guest experiences. We hope you’ll return for another visit in the future. Thank you again.

toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed at the Hyatt House Pittsburgh-South Side for 2 nights in January 2014.

Pros:

The location. The hotel is located in the trendy south side area - There is great shopping and dining in the immediate area (South Side works) - We quite enjoyed Hofbrauhaus which is directly beside the hotel -

The rooms are spacious, clean and modern - the pictures on the Hyatt website are consistent with our experience.

The advertised complimentary morning spread (breakfast) was excellent. We particularly enjoyed the omelete bar where the omeletes were made to order. There were plenty of other hot/cold options and starbucks coffee.

The staff - Without exception, each and every employee we encountered was helpful and friendly. We really enjoyed the guys in the valet/shuttle area! (Rick and Dave).

Cons:

Based on what I saw, there were no rooms with 2 beds (only rooms with 1 bed and a pullout) - This made staying there with a family of 4 slightly less enjoyable as 2 people needed to sleep on the pullout.

There was no self parking on the property and valet was relatively expensive (see advice)

Advice:

If you can, use the shuttle service to make it around the city - We used it to go to a Penguins game and to go to the science center - We had no issues and there were short wait times (which may have been tied to the time of year).

If staying on a weekend, park across the street in the southside works garages - They are significantly less expensive.

Overall, I was satisfied with Hyatt House Pittsburgh-South and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
][,
Thank you for your recommendations and feedback from your stay at Hyatt House Pittsburgh South Side. We appreciate your kind comments regarding our central location, clean accommodations and variety of amenities, as well as the friendly service you experienced at our hotel. We're sorry for the areas we fell short of exceeding your expectations. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again in the near future. Thank you again for your review.

Michael Rhoten, General Manager

Been to HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side? Share your experiences!