“Fun Place” 4 of 5 stars

New York City, New York
23 attraction reviews
“Fun Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Problem 1: You cannot find the place with GPS if you enter "the Old Frankstown Rd" address that is found in their website because it is actually the address of the administration building not the address of the ski lodge. In order to find the ski lodge, you need to follow the "Ski Lodge" signs after exiting Highway 376. Otherwise you will get lost as we did :)

Problem 2: This place is really disorganized. There are lots different desks: one for snow tubing tickets, other one is for slope tickets, other one is for lesson registration and the other three desks are for rental equipment (include three different desks- one for skis&poles, one for boots and other one is for helmet and register for rental) :) When we got there, they had "Rental Equipment Sold Out" sign at the cashier but when we asked for size 7&9 boots at the boots desk, we noticed that they actually had skis and boots even though the sign. I think there is no communication between the desks. So, you should just go and ask if they have your sizes, do not get disappointed if you see the sign :)

Problem 3: Food is very bad. Bring your own food.

Other than these three problems, Boyce Park is an inexpensive place for ski, snowboarding and snow tubing place. I paid 20 for rental, 12 for snow tubing and 10 for one hour ski lesson. It is just 20 minutes drive from Pittsburgh downtown. Great for kids, beginners and even experienced skiers.

Visited March 2014

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
“Very poorly run on a busy weekend, did not get to ski, disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

FYI -- Hard to find if you do not know the area -- typing in the Frankstown Road address into your Garmin or MapQuest will not get you to the road that you need to access the ski area, that is off Center and Monroeville Trestle Road. At the intersection of these two roads, a sign for Boyce park is on your right, go up there. There are no signs for the ski area if you are on Frankstown Road if you get off there, (you will find the wave pool), and you will wander for a long time. If you are on Frankstown road, make a left onto Pierson, follow that until you get to the area that says soccer fields, then make a left and follow that all the way to the ski area.

Get there early, I tried but because I got lost I got there thirty minutes later than I wanted. At ten a.m., a half hour after I got there, I was told I bought the last snow tube passes for the 12:30 session. I had been talking to the man behind me, and he told me that he was buying 47 passes for that session. The 12:30 session was yellow.

Snow tube line was upstairs, ski rentals were downstairs. (So many people milling around, that was not self evident and hard to see signs.)

The ski rental line was an hour and a half long, at ten a.m., so we opted not to wait and risk that there would not even be any rentals by the time we got there.

The young teens who were working the 12:30 tube session had no idea what color went with what session. There was a number of people from a church group with GREEN tags, complaining that they were supposed to be in the 12:30 session. One of the boys asked my husband to take a walkie talkie to the top of the run, (!!!) so my husband was privvy to the whole conversation. The manager finally let these people on, said to give them yellow tags. It was nice he accomodated them, but he messed with the rest of us.

As a result, oversold 12:30 session. As the twelve thirty session ended, other green people were showing up. So, the guy with 47 people had to buy for the 3:30 session, and probably with that amount of people, the word did not get out to everyone about the time change. BUT THE PARK SHOULD HAVE TOLD THEM TO COME BACK AT 3:30!!!!! The rest of us paid for our session for 12:30.

There were not enough tubes for everyone, people had to take turns, which in itself is not terrible, but just goes to show the problem that letting people in who should not have been in that session. In two and a half hours, with a few breaks, there was time for about ten runs.

Bring snacks and drinks if you have young children. The snack bar was sold out of almost everything.

It is inexpensive, but it is the county, with insufficient staff and poorly run -- they can't really handle all those people. (Someone should try to put a little more thought into this, you could really make money if you even just kept the snack shop running right!)

If I try again, now that I know how to get there, I will get there right as it opens and try renting skiis somewhere else -- if you did not need a rental, the lift line was not bad. There was a small ski rental place on the way, but at 10ish, when I stopped by, they were out of kid rentals!! (They only opened at ten.)

Maybe next time I will get to ski. :(

The park itself was beautiful covered in the snow. The kids had a good time, and we were expecting issues and a crowd, but this was worse then expected, and really, no excuse for it.

Visited February 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
“A great time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Compared to some of the other places to snow tube in western Pennsylvania—Seven Springs, Hidden Valley, Wildwood Highlands, etc.—Boyce Park was very inexpensive and, I'd imagine, equally as fun. It's $12 for residents of Allegheny County and $15 for non-residents (they didn't check anyway when I went), and the sessions are 2.5 hours when many of the other places I've researched only offer 2-hour sessions. There's only six lanes, but we never had to wait more than a few minutes to go. A important thing to note is that they only sell 150 slots for each session, so it's best to get there early to buy tickets. The session we planned on going to was sold out when we arrived, so we ended up buying tickets for the following session. Overall, the experience was really good and fun. My only complaint is that the employees out on the hill and watching over the people-mover were pretty inattentive—teenagers who were using their phones instead of making sure lanes were clear before the next person went down the hill, etc.

Visited January 2014
Boardman, Ohio
“Great Amateur Skiing Adventure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Always wanted to try skiing but the never did. For one, the cost and the drive. Well here is the perfect place to start. No 2-3 hour drive. Prices are reasonable. Bunny hill is just right for learning to ski on but the other couple slopes offers those more experienced in skiing the opportunity to have fun. The lodge isn't fancy but provides shelter, place to bring your own 'packed' food, saving your family a bundle and the tubing looks really fun. Great place for fun. By late afternoon the place did get crowded and some families arriving late found out there were no more rentals left. Tubing and skiing so get an early start....be there by at least 10:00 on weekend. If you wait until 2:00 you may not get to participate. :-( Get the family and head to Boyce Park.

Visited January 2014
Plum, Pennsylvania
28 attraction reviews
“Boyce Park Ski Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Not far from downtown Pittsburgh in the Eastern suburb of Plum Borough. Well run County facility, skiers of all abilities are welcome. There is also a tubing run for those who don't care to ski.

Visited December 2013