“clean and huge skating park and dog park” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #59 of 78 Attractions in Pittsburgh
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Outdoors
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“clean and huge skating park and dog park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

had a great time the park was so big there was so much for us to do, nice pool too, nice place to go for a family walk

Visited October 2012

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
25 attraction reviews
“good for beginners”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Really inexpensive, small, and great for beginners.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great place to go for an evening or day trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The place is so convenient, local and affordable. I am on a budget and have time constraints. The place is great because you can go for an evening and not spend an arm and a leg. This place enables me to ski several times a year because it is close by and I do not have a lot of money. The hills are not huge but it is a great time. While I would not recommend driving over a half hour for the place, it is nice. The lodge is nice too, it has fireplaces and a decent food area. If you feel like driving an hour and spending 50-100 bucks a person, go to Seven Springs or Hidden Valley, if you want to go somewhere close by and not spend alot, or just get away for an afternoon or evening, go to Boyce. Also a great place for beginners.

Visited February 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Boyce State Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Seems so silly to me, when someone complaints about Boyce Park coffee shop.
The place is state own and operated. This does not means it has to be bad, but for what you pay, the place is great. Next time, make sure your kids cooperates picking up after them, collecting all the cups, plates and used napkins, to make the place look better. I did that and we have a great time and all the savings I get, I don’t care putting a little bit of help.
This is my first visit and I had a blast. For beginners is a great place where to start. And if you are not in the mood to drive 1 hour and spend all the money Seven spring or hidden valley ask for, this is the place to go and it is in town.

Visited January 2011
Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“Good for families with kids!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

We went in March 2010.

I think this is a great place for families with young kids who want to try, practice and learn skiing Or for any first time skier who really doesn't want to commit to a huge ski trip first before finding out if they truly like to ski. My husband and youngest son went for the first time and really had fun. I watched at the bottom of the ski area which was nice for a non-skier. The pros really were just the fact that it was a non-threatening place to try skiing or to practice your skills. The cons were plentiful-the lodge was as in other reviews dirty and old. My husband had to wait with our son in line for 45 minutes to rent their equipment and when my husband asked for his size..they were out..fortunately he was able to get a size smaller and fit well enough to continue the trip. The best bet is having your own equipment, which we plan on doing the next time we go anywhere to ski. While they say there is more runs then their is...there really is only 4 "hills"..one that is for snow tubing, one for the beginner, one for intermediate and one a bit bigger then that...they are rather shorter hills too. This place is basically just a park that has a small ski area, so don't expect a TRUE ski experience that you would find in a resort.

In the end though, I would recommend this ski place to anyone who has kids and anyone who wants to try skiing without being intimidated by a HUGE resort. We will definitely go back, as its a non-committing way to ski without major commitment or costs. This place in comparison to huge resorts is very affordable for a day trip so we will visit again.

PS. SInce I do have allergies and one to wood burning...I was happy to see that the 2 fireplaces they DID have in the lodge we're not on the afternoon I was there....had they been going, I likely would have been stuck outside the whole time or in the worst case scenario would have had to leave or go sit in the car. They told me that the fire places aren't on all the time. For those of you who do like a roaring fire....there is a better chance of them being on at night or on very cold days. Though to be honest, the day we went was warm and since the building is not real clean and very old...would rather be outside anyways.