“great location, so-so beds” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #19 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Detroit, Michigan
“great location, so-so beds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed here for a recent Steelers game. Location is excellent. 2 blocks from the train that takes you right across from Heinz field. Sunday morning we went to Grand Concourse for brunch and the hotel shuttle took us there and picked us up. When we called to have them pick us up from brunch they told us it would be 20 minutes but it was much quicker. The driver was super nice and very helpful. Parking at the hotel overnight is $22 but when we checked in the woman at the front desk told my husband about a lot 2 blocks over that was only $5. She saved us a nice little chunk of change. Check in was quick and easy. The room was incredibly spacious. VERY high ceilings. Room was very clean, bathroom was plenty big and clean. Little alcove area with coffee maker plus a desk area, and a couch and just a lot of open space. The bed could have made a little less noise and could have been a bit more comfortable. The lobby was very neat and well kept and the front desk was always very helpful with directions and they always had little chocolates out.
We didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on that. We stayed with Marriott points so not sure if it is a good value. But we enjoyed our stay and the location cannot be beat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
alona s,
Thank you for writing a review regarding your experience at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while attending a Steelers game, and we're glad our great location and complimentary shuttle service perfectly suited your trip. Your feedback is important to us and we thank you once again for writing. Please plan to visit us again soon.

Chris Burke, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We arrived for a 3 night stay to visit the U of Pitt (our daughter loved it) and to see a Steeler game (big fans). It also turned out Notre Dame was in town to play Pitt so the hotel was very busy. We are Marriott Gold members, but no perks were offered during our stay. The staff was wonderful, the valet staff especially so, we used the shuttle which was convenient. We did ask for a double room instead of king but was turned down. The king bed was one of the worst we've had in a Marriott hotel (room 624) and in fact the sofa bed was more comfortable which is saying something. We did not ask to be moved to another room because we were told the hotel was full (and based on the amount of Notre Dame shirts we saw we believed it). We were disappointed and surprised as all the other Marriott Hotels we've stayed in had the most comfortable beds...but not this one.
Full disclosure...we used a loyalty free night certificate and points for the other two nights...not that it should matter.
The hotel is about a mile from PNC Park and Heinz Field. The shuttle will not take you there because of the traffic but we found it an easy walk over a picturesque bridge. We tried to get in Jerome Bettis' restaurant but of course it was packed with fans like us!
Pittsburgh is a great town, and when we return we will try one of the other Marriott properties there.

• Stayed November 2013
joalexajeff,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while visiting University of Pittsburgh and attending a Steelers game. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, complimentary shuttle, and the excellent service delivered by our wonderful staff at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. We sincerely apologize for the areas we fell short of exceeding your expectations. Your feedback is important to us as guest satisfaction is our highest priority. Please know your comments will be taken into consideration for improving our property and overall guest experience. We value you as our guest, and we hope you'll consider staying with us the next time you travel to the area. Thank you again for writing.

Welland, on
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Was there for a music festival, the lobby is very modernized with a Go Board and a large screen tv, comfortable seating with books that can be read and a computer station with two computers to use free of charge that had access to the internet. The cafe in the hotel which served Starbucks coffee had many options for breakfast without breaking the bank as in many other hotels ( a Grande coffee was $2.15 and a full breakfast was just under $10)-They also had a free coffee station in the lobby. The check in was quick and the staff was very attentive and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the bathroom that we were in, was quite large for a room of this price. There was a nice outdoor courtyard on the third floor which can be enjoyed during the good weather. I would not hesitate to book this hotel again if I was in downtown Pittsburgh. Thanks to Zac in the front who was so helpful on Saturday night!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
onnick,
We appreciate your review and feedback from your visit to Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. We're glad you enjoyed a comfortable stay in our clean and spacious accommodations, and it's great to hear you felt well taken care of by our staff during your stay. I'll make sure Zac receives a special commendation for his outstanding service. We're happy to have had you as our guest, and we hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thanks again.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We loved this location. We recently visited for a weekend away, and after doing some research we chose to stay at the city center location. It is right in the heart of the cultural district, and so close to most of what we wanted to see and do. Shayleigh, at the front desk, was helpful and friendly. The concierge service is easy-- a nice plus not to have to worry about finding parking. The room was very clean! The bed was comfy.

Only two minor complaints: no mini-fridge in the room, and the rooms are not super-soundproof.

We will be staying here again for our next trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
e_young1023,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay with us at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown. It's fantastic to hear that you loved our location and found our clean and comfortable accommodations to meet your satisfaction. I will be certain to recognize Shayleigh with a special commendation for her friendly service. Thank you again for your review and feedback. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Chris Burke, Genera Manager
Sykesville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here with 4 other couples for a get away without kids. This place was perfect...within walking distance to plenty of bars and restaurants, including the Strip District. The staff was very friendly. The hotel offers a free shuttle service (a van that holds ten) to locations within a 3 mile radius. We were never waiting on the shuttle very long and I would take a free shuttle over a free breakfast any day! We took the shuttle to Pamela's in the Strip and then walked back. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear adam N,
We love that you used our shuttle to explore the city and that you made it to Pamela’s- Those hotcakes are something else!!! I am glad you found out team to be friendly, and if your intent to return is any indication, I’ll take it that you found everything in working order and up to the standards you expect from a Marriott hotel.

My team and I appreciate your enthusiasm to “return in a heartbeat” and want you to know we will be here waiting!

Kindest regards to you and your friends,
Francisco Selles, General Manager
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

So I write this review while still in the hotel and I really cant believe the things I have experienced here thus far. It is clear to me that this hotel is very much lacking good management.

Overall the hotel is lovely, set right downtown and very close to the Lawrence conference center. It appears that everything here has been freshly renovated and they've done a great job with it. Some reviewers have commented on the creaky floors which I experienced but this comes with the charm of an old building. The rooms are laid out well and are quite functional. Also, I have to say that the majority of the front desk people I have encountered have been terrific.

Now the Bad...

1. No amenities in my room eg. shampoo, conditioner, coffee. Nothing. Now this wouldn't be a big issue as I dont use them anyway but in combo with everything else, it screams poor management
2. Housekeeping employees
A. Today when I walked out of my room there was a housekeeper sitting on the chair outside the elevators playing with her iphone. Couldn't believe that this is an acceptable practise in a Marriott hotel. I went up to her to ask her what level the terrace is on, and was told "just a minute, Im almost done writing this" While i waited for her to finish she then looked up and said "third floor" nothing more.
B. Also today another housekeeper that was walking around the corridor chatting on her cell.
3. The 'market' - which usually signifies freshness, beware of this area as everything is overpriced and also almost everything I looked at was months past the best before date.
4. Cleanliness - My room honestly is filthy, the TV area is covered in a 1/4 inch of dust, there was hair in the bathtub and on the toilet seat and a red stain on my bedspread. As well the lights in the corridors are covered in cobwebs.
5. Room service - Ordered room service while here. I ordered a sandwich and a drink. When it arrived there was no tray, and was plopped on the desk. The Pepsi I ordered was delivered in a coffee cup and there was no straw and no silverware for my food. In addition no condiments for my sandwich or fries. Wow.

overall it's clear the ownership of this hotel has invested a lot into freshening it up with the renovation. It's a shame the management they've hired dont know how to get up from behind their desk and walk their hotel to see what's really going on.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear WorkinTraveller

I was very sorry to hear of your displeasure during your recent stay with us. Certainly, many of the issues you raised are serious and pertinent to travelers looking for future accommodations. Which is why I find it interesting that the complaints regarding cleanliness, service, and freshness leveled against our hotel do not coincide with other traveler reviews nor do they appear on customer feedback trends we monitor continually.

I wish you would have challenged me or any manager from my team to address these issues while you were in-house as our guest as we are only empowered to address problems if they are brought to our attention. I challenge our guests to let us know when they are dissatisfied or when they see something that is unsatisfactory. If then we fail to act, we are truly guilty of mismanagement. All of our department heads have been made aware of your review and are looking forward to ensuring that it is not representative of our hotel to readers and prospective guests.

Attentively,
Francisco Selles, General Manager
Windsor, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

||Do not consider this as Marriot standards.
Not worth the $200 plus per night.
Upon arrival we were assigned a King' Courtyard view Room.

Yes it had a view of windows that have not been cleaned in months, perhaps years. Yes we had a scenic view of the courtyard with an overfilled ashtray. Management need to pay attention to detail if they want to disply the Marriot name.

The location is not the greatest as the sidewalk "rolls" up after 7:00 pm. It was Sunday.

A positive note, the staff were friendly and attentive.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
RLG50;
I apologize you were so displeased with our King rooms and their atrium view. I agree that as with most things it has it's pros, very quiet rooms, and cons, lack of a city view.
Our windows are cleaned annually, but I apologize if they were not up to your standards.
I'm sorry to hear that you found the courtyard to be unkempt and I will address this with our staff to assure it receives consistent attention.

It has been a very busy weekend as we had the Pens v Canucks and Panthers v Old Dominion games Saturday, as well as the Steelers v Ravens this evening. Our team has been working diligently to serve our guests, as I can attest to by having spent a good part of the weekend along side them. I hope you are making the most of your stay and I greatly appreciate your positive note regarding our friendly and attentive staff.

It's unfortunate to hear that you felt the street "rolls" up after 7pm. In our street you'll find some of the best restaurants in the city, two hotels and three theaters... In less than a mile you'll find innumerable fine-dining options, the headquarters of 5 Fortune 500 companies, three professional-sports arenas, parks, museums... I'm sure The City of Champions holds it own to Lakeshore when it comes to events and attractions. Pittsburgh is also a very safe city, one of the many measures that continues to rank us as one of the most liveable cities in America by Places Rated Almanac, Forbes Magazine and The Economist. After the game let out and the Steelers beat the Ravens(!!!) the city definitely slowed down, as could be expected of most city-centers on a Sunday night. Nevertheless, this does not mean it turns for the worst. We value you as our guest and appreciate you choosing to stay with us while in Pittsburgh.

Francisco Selles

Been to Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown? Share your experiences!