“New, Clean and close to the city.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #30 of 56 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Barhaven , Canada
“New, Clean and close to the city.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

The Holiday inn South Side met or exceed most of my expectations. Have visited a few Holiday Inns and feel I know what to expect.

Location is good, for the most part (I'll explain later). It is right at one of the bridges into downtown. It was easy to get to pretty much everything. As you were downtown already, getting places during rush hour was no problem. I have stayed at other hotels in Pittsburgh, only minutes to downtown, and found the short drive into the city could take a while depending on the time of day. If you can avoid the interstates or tunnels into and out of the city during rush hour you will save a bit of time and frustration.

Shops were close by, 2 gas stations within a block or so, Liquor store was a 5 minute drive, Diesel night club also a few blocks away. Parking is in the lot at the hotel and was $14 per night.

There is also street parking available. It is close by. Metered during the day. If you drive around enough you can find street parking during the day. Evenings and night were also available, and often free and easier to find.

The only bad thing about the location of the Hotel was the Train. The train tracks run very close to the hotel and the train goes by during the evening, night and the early morning and feels the need to blow the horn on passing the Hotel. Not super loud, but enough to be annoying. Bring earplugs, it will be worth it. This was the only less than optimal thing about the hotel.

Now the good things. The staff were great. Present and helpful. Everyone I met. Alyison at the front desk made sure all was well and April (and Dee) in the lounge for breakfast went above and beyond. The Breakfast are was a highlight. The menu changed from day to day, the food was hot and fresh, and they worked hard to keep is clean and restocked. Thank You ladies.

Mr Chip was the shuttle bus driver and was quick with directions and sight seeing suggestions. The bus is a nice option, for short trips within 3 miles.

The rooms, (we had two) were large, updated and clean. The rooms have nice high ceiling and lots of square footage. Both our rooms, (the first room had 1 King with a fold out couch and the second room had 2 Queens and a fold out couch), had a fridge, microwave and sink in the room. The queen beds were real queens and not the often encountered mini queens. The King was a nice big bed. The couch was a fold out and reportedly quite comfortable. Note that the sheets and pillow were in the dresser drawers.

Heating and cooling was good and not to loud. The windows had blackout shades and the rooms look east and west, not north and south. You get a sideways look at the city from both sides of the Hotel. The hotel only has 6 floors so elevators were quick and not a long wait.

The pool and fitness center were on the first floor at the rear and close to the rear exit to the parking lot, which was well lit at night. We were visiting in the winter so the patio out front of the hotel was not open.

The hotel its self was modern and clean, bright and inviting. Had a good time, enjoyed my stay and once again thanks to April for great breakfasts. Would recommend this Hotel and visit myself again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west are a bit quiter.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Clarksburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Stayed in town for a WWE show. Their driver was kind enough to take us to and from the event. Next time I stay in Pittsburgh, it will be here. Would have loved to check out the hot tub but I didn't have time. The breakfast was amazing and the breakfast server was very welcoming and friendly. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Wow, 5 stars! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! Thank you for your kudos towards our amazing staff. It is always nice to hear the positive feedback; it helps us continue to take much pride in our daily operations. I am elated to hear you found use of our courtesy shuttle to be helpful and convenient. We operate within a 3 mile radius of our front door, yet pay special attention to all events, ensuring comfort to out-of-town guests. I am also SO pleased that you found our breakfast to be amazing; we pride ourselves in having some of the best hostesses in our breakfast, always ensuring the perfect start to your day. You say that you cannot wait to return. Well, we truly thrive on your enusiasm. WE can't wait to have you back as our guest, to continue to host you in the beautiful, thriving city that we all call HOME. Thanks again!
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Good location and easy parking. The hotel is Close to lots of restaurants and cool shops. The rooms are large and the linens were fresh. breakfast was the usual but a good usual. The staff was quite accommodating

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Greetings, Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I appreciate you taking notice to our excellent location. I thank you also for noticing our large rooms and crisp linens. Our breakfast crew is one of the best; always taking the extra step to provide our lasting impression of our guests’ stay. I will pass on your kind comments to all of my staff, and I can honestly say we all look forward to your return!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed here with friends in the summer of 2013 for a concert. The hotel was very classy and modern and had a good atmosphere. There is also free continental breakfast thats pretty good. The hotel had a free shuttle to the stadium where the concert was so that was awesome. The rooms are very spacious, modern, and clean. The beds were also soft. The location was nice it is in walking distance from a variety of restaurants and bars. There is a $14 parking fee that you pay up on leaving and the parking lot can get full pretty fast, we had trouble finding a spot one night. Overall it was a good hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Greetings, Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I appreciate your comments on our overall offerings. Our deluxe continental breakfast is better than others, yet it is our staff that truly makes it supreme. I am elated to hear you took use of our courtesy shuttle, and found our rooms to be spacious and clean, with most comfortable mattresses. Our location is prime, with over 200 bars, restaurants, retail shops and concert venues within walking distance. Parking is most reasonable in the area, $14.00 gets you in-and-out privileges in our secure lot. We appreciate your great review and anticipate your return!
Gladys B
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on the night of December 29th. The staff were friendly, checked us in quickly and provided excellent dinner recommendations. In the morning the shuttle driver drove us to breakfast even though we had already checked out. He eagerly offered suggestions on shops and sites to see in the area of the restaurant and picked us back up within 10 minutes of us calling the hotel.

Our room was clean and comfortable. Despite being there the night of a big Steelers game we did not have any issues with noise or rowdy guests.

Parking was $14 however in our research this was almost half of what other hotels in the area were charging.

The only real negative was the breakfast in the morning. I found it to be subpar, there was no fresh fruit other than unripe bananas and everything else has been picked over. Hence why we went out to find our own.

I would definitely stay again when in Pittsburgh.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I am a frequent IHG traveler and needed to be in Pittsburgh overnight. There are no Intercontinentals, so to keep with the Frequent stayer program decided to try a HI express. Found the hotel to be modern and clean. The room was spacious and had simple modern furnishings. Liked the room overall and they included a mini kitchen which was nice.

On the negative side, the bed was firm for my taste, breakfast consisted of powdered eggs, and whoever selected the shower heads obviously never used one. There is a $14 charge for parking, and there were no empty spots when I tried to park.

I was there on a Saturday night just before a big Steelers game against the Cleveland Browns. The kicker came at 4:30 in the morning when there was a commotion in the hallway and several guests opened their doors to yell at the rowdy people. My neighbors were also loud until after 5AM. After inquiring, we discovered that 6 families were removed from the hotel for bad behavior (the most ever according to the front desk).

Although there were some things nice about this hotel, I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Choose a room far from the elevator. The hallways resonate with sound and ice machines are located...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Greetings, Thank you for taking your time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! First of all, I thank you for your IHG Rewards Status, maintaining your loyalty to our brand! I am glad to hear that you found our modern accommodations appealing, our rooms spacious and clean; noting the functionality of our amenities. I do apologize for the firmness of the mattress. We are in the process of exchanging all mattresses in the building with brand new. I am certain that upon your next stay you will receive the upmost comfort. I have passed on the shower head issue with my maintenance department, who is currently inspecting/replacing all units. Lastly, I apologize for any disturbance you may have encountered, as we were sold out that weekend due to a major local event. Noise is an issue we do not take lightly; we adhere to a strict policy regarding noise disturbances, especially late at night. I assure you that all incidents were handled appropriately. It is my pleasure to extend the offer to you, that during your future travels to Pittsburgh, you can give us another try.
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

This place very comfortable.I stay here one entire week. Actually I am still here because I will leave tomorrow but I want to make a review before getting home.

The hotel is very close to downtown and is close to every interesting thing in Pittsburgh. There is a shuttle service that for free will bring you every where within 3 miles.
The staff was very friendly. Room are extraordinary big.

exemplary!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Greetings, Thank you for taking your time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! First of all, I want to thank you on your prompt review prior to your actual departure from our hotel. I also want to take the time to thank you for your extended stay. I am absolutely elated that you found our accommodations to be comfortable and spacious. I love the fact you noticed our courtesy shuttle service and our friendly staff. Any time during your travels to Pittsburgh, our doors are always open to you. Please stop by and visit us again!
Front Office Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side? Share your experiences!