“OK stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
Charleroi, Pennsylvania
“OK stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I specifically book a handicap compliant room and was not given one. The room I did get was comfortable and clean although the walls did show some damage. The area was very noisy especially the other guests on the floor I was on. Doors were slamming all night, people in hallways yelling and screaming at each other. Breakfast was ok but didn't seem to be well attended too. Many items were low or empty

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear James R,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay.

I was concerned to read that your stay was negatively affected by the noise coming from other rooms. I am sorry for any discomforts or inconvenience this has caused you. We strive to provide the best guest experience and I deeply regret that on this occasion we have failed to deliver.

Dhan M

257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Pittsburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed here on April 26th for the Fleewood Mac concert. Check in was a NIGHTMARE. I will say we were partially at fault for not listing all 5 names on the room because of this I had to make calls to the other ladies who were in our room while trying to check in.. Please know this is not a normal practice I think it is rude BUT I had to speak to the person who booked the room, the girl who was checking us in was NASTY AND RUDE she KICKED ME OUT OF LINE IN FRONT OF A LOBBY FULL OF PEOPLE. She said she didn't have to deal with me being rude?? OMG I wasn't even remotely rude. I had been speaking with another lady in line. She humiliated me. I left the lobby crying and had to get my sister who was waiting in the car to check us in. I have traveled from Coast to Coast... I have never gone through anything like this before in my life. We booked a suite because there were 5 of us, we didn't try to sneak in extra people. The room was over $400.00 with parking etc for one night. Please be aware that it is $14.00 a day to park. They do charge you the day you check out as well. The lady who checked us out was super sweet and was well aware of the incident that happen with check in because when my sister and I came back to hotel from concert SHE apologized for what happen to us. She comped our parking which was nice. The room was not worth that kind of money. There were no extra towels in the room or blankets for the fold out sofa. Also, there were only vending machines down by the pool area which had a HORRIBLE smell. The final straw that broke the camels back was my sister left her ENTIRE makeup bag in the hotel. Ladies, you know how devastating this can be. She called the hotel and they had. She was thrilled because they said they would ship it too her. It is June 2 and she is still waiting. Horrible customer service. IT makes me sad to know I wont stay here again. We love going to Pittsburgh and spending the night, will not stay here again. I will give my money to another hotel who appreciates it.

Room Tip: There are lots of hotels to choose from in Pittsburgh. Use this place as your last resort.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear jeannine29,

Krysllin G.
Westfield, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We booked this hotel primarily for price. This is my third shot with a Holiday Inn property at various locations. The hotel was either new or newly renovated. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. When I booked, I specifically asked about the shuttle service to the University of Pittsburgh. I was assured that they did indeed provide this service.

We got into our room about 4pm on our arrival day, and left for dinner soon after. The room seemed well appointed and clean. When we returned, we unpacked, and my daughter showered. I pulled the covers of my bed down, and watched TV while waiting for the shower. It had been very hot out, and I thought my legs were sweating. When I reached down to see why my legs felt so wet, I realized that my bed was wet. WITH URINE. NOT MINE.

I called the front desk and the first question out of the desk clerk's mouth was "how long have you been in the room?" He then offered to give me "points" on my loyalty card. I informed him that I expected the manager to come up immediately, to be moved immediately, and to have the charge for the night removed.

To their credit, the shift manager did come up and she was horrified. We did move rooms and the hotel ultimately removed all of the charges. The desk staff was sincerely apologetic and seemed truly upset at the situation. Unfortunately, I consider this a never, ever experience.

The other things that concerned me about my stay was that although the staff confirmed the availability of a shuttle, they seemed over extended. One driver in particular made us feel that it was a hassle to go into downtown to the University, even though it was clearly within their stated radius.

No more Holiday Inn for me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Brooklynative,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. It is great to hear that after some initial issues our staff was able to address your concerns during your stay. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the shuttle service as well as your room accommodation. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen C
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice and helpfull staff. Great location. Frequent shuttle to downtown and North Side. Right on Carson Street for evening activities. Parking was secure and plentiful. Did not use any of the other facilities so I cant comment on those.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Robin M, Priority Club Champion at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff, I will be sure to pass them along. I am happy to hear you found use of our courtesy hotel shuttle and our location to be convenient during your stay here with us. I am also glad to hear you appreciated our secure parking. During your next stay, be sure to utilize our newly renovated fitness center, located next to our indoor pool; and be sure to join us for our full hot breakfast every morning, hosted by our bright and cheerful breakfast crew! We look forward to your next stay. Thanks again!
Gladys B.
Priority Club Champion
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side three times in the last 9 months. I've stayed to attend a baseball game, for a purely personal trip, and to attend a CLE downtown. I really enjoy staying at this hotel.

The location is great. I don't have a hard time getting to or from the hotel and that's a minor miracle for me in Pittsburgh. Downtown and Station Square (catch the boat to and from the ball games) and the Hot Metal Bridge area is a reasonable walk, if you prefer to walk than drive. Carson Street has about any kind of food or drink you'd want. I love the chance to have Pi's coal fired pizza and the French cuisine at Cafe du Jour. And there's a bottle shop just a couple blocks away, as well.

Check-in is always easy and friendly and efficient. The hotel works to accommodate special requests. For instance, I had two cars for my last trip, and they did allow me to park both instead of just one. I also checked out on the same day as my CLE downtown. The hotel allowed me to leave my car on their lot for the day. I walked back from the site and simply departed. I really appreciated the gesture. Further, the hotel shuttle would have returned to pick me up, but it only took me about 15 minutes to walk back and I needed the exercise before driving the 3 hours back home.

The coffee and cookies in the afternoon is a nice touch, and I think this is one of the better breakfasts in the area. I think their biscuits and gravy are awesome. I am gluten-free and low-carb, but I cannot resist this!

The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Wi-Fi is acceptable. The pool area is fine.

The price has always been right.

Overall, one of my go-to hotels in the area for my monthly trips to Pittsburgh. Looking forward to my next trip.

Room Tip: View overlooking the parking lot isn't bad at all, actually. You can see the bridge(s), which a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We called the hotel directly May 8 to book for an unexpected May 9 stay for a funeral. Betty on the phone was wonderful, and was happy to coordinate adjacent rooms with our other family. The location, price, staff, ammenities, and cleanliness all exceeded our expectations. Free breakfast and wi-fi were particularly appreciated. Seemed like this would be a good base for exploring the city if we'd had time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Gladys B, IHG Rewards Club Loyalty Champion at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Greetings, Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I regret to hear your initial reasoning for booking with us, but I am glad to hear you found our amenities most accommodating. We aim to exceed any and all expectations. Ms. Betty is the “Mom” of our team and I am absolutely elated to hear that she guided you in the right direction toward your family. Ms. Betty excels beyond professionalism and will go out of her way to assist anyone in need. I am also pleased you found our breakfast and free wi-fi, extra appreciative. If you ever have time to re-visit our amazing city for leisure, we would be more than happy to show you around!
Gladys B.
Loyalty Champion
ROCHESTER NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

construction /renovation project seems needlessly uncontrolled in lobby area. Rooms were clean, but overpriced a bit. Breakfast ("free"/included) was better than the average free lobby fare. The cinnamon rolls were remarkably better than average. large screen TV in our room was non functional. Bathrooms clean and spacious. Parking was "adequate" but at $250/night for Holiday Inn, being charged $14 for parking seems ridiculous. Desk staff were very accomodating, but on one visit to the front desk for a problem, an apparent staff member continued to chat with friends from behind the counter, and I was left to wait for the other desk staff to finish a series of phone calls.

Room Tip: ask about the rooms that have been renovated. corner rooms have two windows.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear BlueMaxx14,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the breakfast and found the rooms clean. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note of your valuable comments and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side? Share your experiences!