“Multiple Stays - On the Top of My Pittsburgh Hotel List” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 55 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Columbus, Ohio
“Multiple Stays - On the Top of My Pittsburgh Hotel List”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side three times in the last 9 months. I've stayed to attend a baseball game, for a purely personal trip, and to attend a CLE downtown. I really enjoy staying at this hotel.

The location is great. I don't have a hard time getting to or from the hotel and that's a minor miracle for me in Pittsburgh. Downtown and Station Square (catch the boat to and from the ball games) and the Hot Metal Bridge area is a reasonable walk, if you prefer to walk than drive. Carson Street has about any kind of food or drink you'd want. I love the chance to have Pi's coal fired pizza and the French cuisine at Cafe du Jour. And there's a bottle shop just a couple blocks away, as well.

Check-in is always easy and friendly and efficient. The hotel works to accommodate special requests. For instance, I had two cars for my last trip, and they did allow me to park both instead of just one. I also checked out on the same day as my CLE downtown. The hotel allowed me to leave my car on their lot for the day. I walked back from the site and simply departed. I really appreciated the gesture. Further, the hotel shuttle would have returned to pick me up, but it only took me about 15 minutes to walk back and I needed the exercise before driving the 3 hours back home.

The coffee and cookies in the afternoon is a nice touch, and I think this is one of the better breakfasts in the area. I think their biscuits and gravy are awesome. I am gluten-free and low-carb, but I cannot resist this!

The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Wi-Fi is acceptable. The pool area is fine.

The price has always been right.

Overall, one of my go-to hotels in the area for my monthly trips to Pittsburgh. Looking forward to my next trip.

Room Tip: View overlooking the parking lot isn't bad at all, actually. You can see the bridge(s), which a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We called the hotel directly May 8 to book for an unexpected May 9 stay for a funeral. Betty on the phone was wonderful, and was happy to coordinate adjacent rooms with our other family. The location, price, staff, ammenities, and cleanliness all exceeded our expectations. Free breakfast and wi-fi were particularly appreciated. Seemed like this would be a good base for exploring the city if we'd had time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Gladys B, IHG Rewards Club Loyalty Champion at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Greetings, Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I regret to hear your initial reasoning for booking with us, but I am glad to hear you found our amenities most accommodating. We aim to exceed any and all expectations. Ms. Betty is the “Mom” of our team and I am absolutely elated to hear that she guided you in the right direction toward your family. Ms. Betty excels beyond professionalism and will go out of her way to assist anyone in need. I am also pleased you found our breakfast and free wi-fi, extra appreciative. If you ever have time to re-visit our amazing city for leisure, we would be more than happy to show you around!
Gladys B.
Loyalty Champion
ROCHESTER NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

construction /renovation project seems needlessly uncontrolled in lobby area. Rooms were clean, but overpriced a bit. Breakfast ("free"/included) was better than the average free lobby fare. The cinnamon rolls were remarkably better than average. large screen TV in our room was non functional. Bathrooms clean and spacious. Parking was "adequate" but at $250/night for Holiday Inn, being charged $14 for parking seems ridiculous. Desk staff were very accomodating, but on one visit to the front desk for a problem, an apparent staff member continued to chat with friends from behind the counter, and I was left to wait for the other desk staff to finish a series of phone calls.

Room Tip: ask about the rooms that have been renovated. corner rooms have two windows.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear BlueMaxx14,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the breakfast and found the rooms clean. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note of your valuable comments and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed in this place recently and we liked it. They are undergoing renovation in the lobby and this is probably why they have deals on Hotwire.
They have a parking and it costs extra. Check in was fast and the front desk staff were decent and nice. The room was spacious enough for us. The rooms. linen and towels were clean. Our room had a fridge and microwave which was helpful. Breakfast room is small, but breakfast items were more than sufficient.
The only drawback is the train noise ! which is obviously out of control in this property.
Pros: being close to downtown, decent breakfast, good deal.
Cons: train noise ! the hotel should see more renovation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Not the typical Holiday Inn Express experience. People loud in hallways late at night, is near night life, but seemed to be teenagers. Front desk has cameras everywhere, but apparently doesn't care. Breakfast was missing all the usuals an hour before ending. No biscuits, no rolls, no assuage, no eggs. Room was full of people, staff either didn't care or wasn't prepared.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Kirk H,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I was very happy with my stay. When I first checked in and went to my room wasn't too happy with the view but luckily the front desk attendant Frank called and was able to switch my room to a corner room with 2 windows. I was in town for a Pittsburgh Penguins game and the hotel was the perfect location. The shuttle was able to take my friend and I to the game and picked us up. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again for future games I plan to attend. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2013
Gladys B, Priority Club Champion at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Wow, 5 stars!! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! We greatly appreciate the positive feedback of your great stay at our property. I am glad to hear Frank was able to accommodate your request after your initial check-in. He is one of our newest team members and he is shining bright. We only have a total of 8 suites in the corner of our building, which overlook our downtown; having the feature of an added 2nd “view” window. Our corner suites are in high demand, and I am elated you had the chance to experience the treat of the added city view. Our shuttle service until 11pm is only minutes away from the Consol Energy Center, which makes travelling for Pittsburgh Penguin games that much more convenient. Thank you again for the kind words and gracious thanks towards our lovely staff, and we look forward to hosting you again, in our city’s next battle toward the Stanley Cup Championship!!
Gladys B.
Priority Club Champion
Orchard Beach, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Rooms very comfortable for 5 adults and 2 children. Breakfast tasty and fresh. Staff friendly and helpful. Cheapest, best find in downtown Pittsburgh. The staff allowed us to park 2 vehicles and only charged us for one. We were in town to visit my sick father in law and the staff just made the whole trip that much easier. The rooms were modern and well equipped with sockets and USB ports and the like. Although we did not use the pool, that would have been the reason we would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side? Share your experiences!