“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I was very happy with my stay. When I first checked in and went to my room wasn't too happy with the view but luckily the front desk attendant Frank called and was able to switch my room to a corner room with 2 windows. I was in town for a Pittsburgh Penguins game and the hotel was the perfect location. The shuttle was able to take my friend and I to the game and picked us up. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again for future games I plan to attend. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2013
Gladys B, Priority Club Champion at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Wow, 5 stars!! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! We greatly appreciate the positive feedback of your great stay at our property. I am glad to hear Frank was able to accommodate your request after your initial check-in. He is one of our newest team members and he is shining bright. We only have a total of 8 suites in the corner of our building, which overlook our downtown; having the feature of an added 2nd “view” window. Our corner suites are in high demand, and I am elated you had the chance to experience the treat of the added city view. Our shuttle service until 11pm is only minutes away from the Consol Energy Center, which makes travelling for Pittsburgh Penguin games that much more convenient. Thank you again for the kind words and gracious thanks towards our lovely staff, and we look forward to hosting you again, in our city’s next battle toward the Stanley Cup Championship!!
Gladys B.
Priority Club Champion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Orchard Beach, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Rooms very comfortable for 5 adults and 2 children. Breakfast tasty and fresh. Staff friendly and helpful. Cheapest, best find in downtown Pittsburgh. The staff allowed us to park 2 vehicles and only charged us for one. We were in town to visit my sick father in law and the staff just made the whole trip that much easier. The rooms were modern and well equipped with sockets and USB ports and the like. Although we did not use the pool, that would have been the reason we would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our family returned from a trip to Pittsburgh last week for Easter vacation. What drew us to the HIE was the location, free breakfast, parking and shuttle service. They are remodeling the lobby so that area was half boarded up but the staff was attentive to our needs. We were given a 5th floor room on the corner, so we had two windows. One window looked onto the 10th street bridge. We enjoyed that view. They have room darkening shades on the windows and I was surprised to find the room very quiet at night despite all the hustle and bustle out side our window. We had two beds that were not the most comfortable, but that is not a deal breaker for us unless we have an extended stay. The room was very clean and they had a nice flat screen tv on the wall. The decor was up to date. They do not have room service but they have a small sink, refrigerator, microwave and paper plates etc. in the room. If you ask the front desk they will give you some menues for restaurants that deliver to your room. Most of them are pizza. We ordered from Dominoes and they were very prompt. They also offer a breakfast in the morning. Since the lobby is being remodeled, it was served in a small room close by. It was very busy so it was a little cramped in there. We just took our food to the room. They offered pancakes, eggs, biscuits and gravy, fruit, cinnamon rolls, breads, cereal, yogurt, juices and coffee etc. There is also a french restaurant just a few steps outside the front door. The shuttle took us to PNC Park, National Aviary and restaurants. We never waited more than 20 minutes.( We took the shuttle for dinner about 5 blocks to Fatheads. We walked back to the hotel after dinner. There were other restaurants nearby so there were people walking around so we felt safe. About one block from the hotel there isn't much happening, it was dark and we did pass by a man asleep in a doorway to a business, so we moved swiftly inside.) I'm not sure if in the summer they can be that accomodating with the suttle but they were great at this time of year. The drivers were helpful and friendly. We parked our car in their lot which is accessible with a room key. A couple minor negatives of our stay, were that there was not an information book in the room with detalis of their amenities, etc, so we had to talk to the front desk with questions. (they did have a Pittsburgh book) The other thing was the maid service was anxious to get rooms cleaned in the morning. Their carts are in the narrow hallways and one morning they knocked on our door. I couldn't get to the door fast enough and one of them had opened it. They saw me and quickly said sorry and shut the door. I was surprised they couldn't hear the tv on and the shower going. But again these are minor details to me. We really enjoy visiting Pittsburgh. PNC park is a beautiful park to watch a ball game. The National Aviary is a fun place to stop with kids. They have penguins, eagles, pelicans and many more birds. Fatheads restuarant has sandwiches the size of your head-hence the name. There is so much to do and the rolling hills, river and bridges are neat to see. We would stay at the Holiday Inn Express again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room facing the 10th street bridge on the upper levels. Nice view and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New Port Richey, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The staff was extremely nice! Great Place! I would definitely recommend. Great acces to the bars and city. Free shuttle to pick drunk butts up. Went there on St Pattys day and had a fantastic experience. The bar that's kind attaché to the hotel kinda sucked but what are ya gonna do?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Crestline, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Bad - We were told the hotel gave discounts to UMPC patient families. My mother had major surgery. We stayed in this hotel several years ago. The surgery turned out to be much longer than expected. We were exhausted! When hubby checked in, he was told we couldn't get the discount because we hadn't called in advance to tell them about the discount. Apparently it is a huge price difference too. I was not happy. We also got the last parking spot in the lot. I was shocked to find out there was a big charge for that one too!

There was construction going on so the place was very crowded. Breakfast was moved to a tiny room and there were not enough tables for everyone. I went through the line and of course when I got to the front there were no eggs or any of the warm breakfast foods. So, I sat down for a few minutes with a coffee. The girl came in and refilled and the line was back up and by the time I got to the front again, it was gone. We ended up eating breakfast elsewhere. We needed to get ready to go see my mother.

I understand there are inconveniences with remodeling. But, I found it funny the same hotel that was charging us $17 for parking that we didn't know about in advance, and didn't provide us the breakfast we wanted, was the same hotel that was being rigid about the policy regarding fees. To make matters even worse, the charged our account twice. It is a good thing we had money in savings to transfer over.

Good - The room was nice, the staff was friendly for the most part. The girl in the breakfast room was working hard to keep up. We were on the end so we had a great view of the hospital where my mother was staying and the bridge.

Room Tip: Don't reserve online. Call and reserve to make sure you get the discount if you are there for UM...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Shelley94,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Pittsburgh.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Daughter and I were in the area for visit to U. Pitt and this was the closest HIE to campus. (HIE is my 1st choice for hotels). Worked out great. Great location. Staff were the friendliest I've encountered at a HIE - really!! We used the shuttle to do some local sightseeing, i.e. the Monongahela incline, Station Square and East Carson Street -- all in 20 min or less walking distance but it was very cold out so we used the shuttle. There was $14 per day parking fee but I understand that given it's city location.

Room Tip: I think rooms on both side have view of the city. We were in back, facing the parking lot. Heard tra...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Robin M, Priority Club Champion at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Wow, five stars! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am pleased to hear you chose us, as we are the closest location to Pittsburgh’s Universities, Hospitals, Famous Restaurants and Area Attractions. I am absolutely elated that you found our staff to be the friendliest you’ve encountered during a hotel stay! This is the one point we truly pride ourselves on, we always take one step above and beyond the rest, our strong team always aims high!
I am glad to hear you found good use of our courtesy hotel shuttle. Yes, most of Pittsburgh is very walkable, yet our courtesy shuttle really comes in handy for destinations further than walking distance, and also during Pittsburgh’s very unpredictable weather patterns!
In your “Room Tip” you are correct in mentioning that both sides of our building do provide views of the city. The ‘back’ parking lot side where you stayed provides views of the downtown skyline and river view. The opposite side provides views of the southside flats, along with its rolling hills referred to the “southside slopes”, also views reaching as far as Oakland.
Thank you for staying loyal to Holiday Inn Express and IHG and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Gladys B.
Priority Club Champion
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This hotel exceeded our expectations, and is conveniently located. Our trip was 'spur-of-the-moment', so only booked the night before. We were not disappointed. The staff were fantastic -- very friendly and helpful. Our room was spotless, very spacious, quite soundproof, included a microwave, coffee maker and fridge, and the beds were extremely comfortable. There is a nominal fee for parking, but the hotel provides free shuttle service to and from any location within a three-mile radius -- i.e. incline to Mt. Washington, Station Square, the casino, the ballpark, the Strip, etc. Breakfast is also included -- not your typical continental breakfast of tea or coffee, muffin and croissant. They provide a wide variety of hot and cold items. We only stayed in Pittsburgh one night, but would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Robin M, Asst. GM at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Mississauga Canada

Thank you, Thank you! 5 Stars. Your comment is greatly appreciated. We value our guest opinions; you have provided the link to guest who may travel to Pittsburgh and visit the Holiday Inn Express Southside. Our continental breakfast also, includes Pancakes & French toast. We invite you to come again, when the New Breakfast room is complete. I will share your comments with all departments.
Thank you for taking the time to share. We welcome you back anytime in a Heartbeat.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side? Share your experiences!