“Good and Bad - Not sure about going back” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #22 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
Crestline, Ohio
“Good and Bad - Not sure about going back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Bad - We were told the hotel gave discounts to UMPC patient families. My mother had major surgery. We stayed in this hotel several years ago. The surgery turned out to be much longer than expected. We were exhausted! When hubby checked in, he was told we couldn't get the discount because we hadn't called in advance to tell them about the discount. Apparently it is a huge price difference too. I was not happy. We also got the last parking spot in the lot. I was shocked to find out there was a big charge for that one too!

There was construction going on so the place was very crowded. Breakfast was moved to a tiny room and there were not enough tables for everyone. I went through the line and of course when I got to the front there were no eggs or any of the warm breakfast foods. So, I sat down for a few minutes with a coffee. The girl came in and refilled and the line was back up and by the time I got to the front again, it was gone. We ended up eating breakfast elsewhere. We needed to get ready to go see my mother.

I understand there are inconveniences with remodeling. But, I found it funny the same hotel that was charging us $17 for parking that we didn't know about in advance, and didn't provide us the breakfast we wanted, was the same hotel that was being rigid about the policy regarding fees. To make matters even worse, the charged our account twice. It is a good thing we had money in savings to transfer over.

Good - The room was nice, the staff was friendly for the most part. The girl in the breakfast room was working hard to keep up. We were on the end so we had a great view of the hospital where my mother was staying and the bridge.

Room Tip: Don't reserve online. Call and reserve to make sure you get the discount if you are there for UM...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Shelley94,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Pittsburgh.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Daughter and I were in the area for visit to U. Pitt and this was the closest HIE to campus. (HIE is my 1st choice for hotels). Worked out great. Great location. Staff were the friendliest I've encountered at a HIE - really!! We used the shuttle to do some local sightseeing, i.e. the Monongahela incline, Station Square and East Carson Street -- all in 20 min or less walking distance but it was very cold out so we used the shuttle. There was $14 per day parking fee but I understand that given it's city location.

Room Tip: I think rooms on both side have view of the city. We were in back, facing the parking lot. Heard tra...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Robin M, Priority Club Champion at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Wow, five stars! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am pleased to hear you chose us, as we are the closest location to Pittsburgh’s Universities, Hospitals, Famous Restaurants and Area Attractions. I am absolutely elated that you found our staff to be the friendliest you’ve encountered during a hotel stay! This is the one point we truly pride ourselves on, we always take one step above and beyond the rest, our strong team always aims high!
I am glad to hear you found good use of our courtesy hotel shuttle. Yes, most of Pittsburgh is very walkable, yet our courtesy shuttle really comes in handy for destinations further than walking distance, and also during Pittsburgh’s very unpredictable weather patterns!
In your “Room Tip” you are correct in mentioning that both sides of our building do provide views of the city. The ‘back’ parking lot side where you stayed provides views of the downtown skyline and river view. The opposite side provides views of the southside flats, along with its rolling hills referred to the “southside slopes”, also views reaching as far as Oakland.
Thank you for staying loyal to Holiday Inn Express and IHG and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This hotel exceeded our expectations, and is conveniently located. Our trip was 'spur-of-the-moment', so only booked the night before. We were not disappointed. The staff were fantastic -- very friendly and helpful. Our room was spotless, very spacious, quite soundproof, included a microwave, coffee maker and fridge, and the beds were extremely comfortable. There is a nominal fee for parking, but the hotel provides free shuttle service to and from any location within a three-mile radius -- i.e. incline to Mt. Washington, Station Square, the casino, the ballpark, the Strip, etc. Breakfast is also included -- not your typical continental breakfast of tea or coffee, muffin and croissant. They provide a wide variety of hot and cold items. We only stayed in Pittsburgh one night, but would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Robin M, Asst. GM at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Mississauga Canada

Thank you, Thank you! 5 Stars. Your comment is greatly appreciated. We value our guest opinions; you have provided the link to guest who may travel to Pittsburgh and visit the Holiday Inn Express Southside. Our continental breakfast also, includes Pancakes & French toast. We invite you to come again, when the New Breakfast room is complete. I will share your comments with all departments.
Thank you for taking the time to share. We welcome you back anytime in a Heartbeat.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My fiance and I were in Pittsburgh for a a Penguins game and stayed here at the recommendation of a co-worker. The hotel was wonderful! We got to town a bit early and upon calling the hotel, were told it was perfectly fine for us to come check-in a bit early.

The hotel was easy to find, the front desk staff was friendly and accommodating at check-in, parking was convenient, and our hotel room was huge, clean, and comfortable. The front desk even called a while after we checked-in to see if we needed anything (additional pillows, towels, etc).

We took the free shuttle to the game which was extremely quick and convenient, the driver was friendly and he made sure we knew where to get picked up after the game.

Once back at the hotel later in the evening the front desk staff again was very friendly and helped us with recommendations about where to eat.

Checkout was simple, quick, and easy. We did not take advantage of the breakfast in the morning, although it was available and explained to us.

Great location, great staff, great room and accommodations, close proximity to choice entertainment, and great price for Pittsburgh. I definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here after getting a great deal on hotwire. Nice clean rooms. We got here at noon and the awesome girl at the front desk checked us in early. Having 2 kids with us that in itself was awesome. She was very helpful and gave us coupons for restaurants. Mr. Chip the shuttle drive took us where we needed to go. Thank you Mr. Chip. Nice pool. Nice neighbourhood. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am thrilled you and your family were pleasantly accommodated with an early check-in experience, and you found your room to be clean and comfortable. We love when families choose our city location, and I hope you found use of our local restaurant coupons. I am also pleased to hear of your interaction with our senior shuttle driver, Mr. Chip. I will pass along your gracious thanks to him. Please do join us again, Pittsburgh has so much to offer, and we extend the invite to present it all to you! We look forward to seeing you and your family again in the near future!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed in Pittsburgh on our way to see a Pirates game. We really loved the location. Being late 20/mid20's we liked hanging out by the local bars and restaurants that were walking distance away. I love Pittsburgh so my friend and I walked through Duquesne's campus, Primanti's, and then to PNC Park which might be far for some people. The hotel has a free shuttle (don't forget to tip) from certain palces in Pittsburgh and there's a big, safe intersection near the stadium that they'll come get you from. There's probably more but I don't know what they are.

We drove up from MD we left early to have a leisurely drive but we still got there earlier than normal check-in. No matter, the lady at the front desk found a room for us so we got to check in around 11:00. We had a car and I believe parking was free but maybe not. If I don't remember it then it must have been nominal.

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Robin M, Priority Club Champion at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Wow, five stars!! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! We are thrilled that you loved our hotel and our beautiful city. Many parts of the city of Pittsburgh are very walkable, yet our courtesy shuttle definitely comes in handy transporting you to and from such locations within our three mile radius. Our location is prime, being within such close proximity to so many bars, fabulous restaurants, eccentric shopping and nightlife. Some other places you should not skip during your travels to Pittsburgh include Carnegie Science Center, Rivers Casino, Wholey’s Fish Market in the Strip District, along with some of our other famous restaurants and universities, just to mention a few. I’m glad you mention pick-up and drop-off points for our shuttle, we do have those into play, especially during big events in the city, which all of our seasoned, knowledgeable drivers clearly explain during each trip they make.
I am glad to hear we were able to provide you with an early check-in experience, that way you could relax after your lengthy, leisurely drive before you explored our city.
We do in fact charge for parking, as most of all of the city properties do. Ours, however, is a flat nightly rate of $14, that allows unlimited “in and out” privileges in our secure lot.
Again, I am pleased you enjoyed your experience with us here in Pittsburgh, we sure do hope to see you again in the near future!
Priority Club Champion.
Dublin, Oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Pittsburg- Southside for two nights. Before our arrival we spoke to the front desk to double check that the room we reserved would be non-smoking. The girl who answered was so forthcoming with information. She told me that the entire property was converted to be non-smoking!

Upon checking in we were most cheerfully greeted by Ashley. After an arduous journey Ashley was a fresh breath of Pittsburgh friendliness. After handing us our keys, Ashley presented us with a treasure chest of goodies and snacks. We originally had a room with two beds but she upgraded our room to a king on the highest floor, overlooking the entire city in two directions. While staying we frequently made use of the convenient and luxurious complimentary shuttle. Our chaperone and driver, Dave, was a most outgoing and jovial lad. He provided us with a wealth of knowledge regarding the best local restaurants, bars, and safety. Each evening we discussed our culinary options with the front desk team Ms. Betty, and Robin. These two lovely ladies were so friendly and helpful they alone deserve a return to this property. Ms. Betty was especially helpful in suggesting area restaurants and bars while Robin went the extra mile to inform us that there may be extra noise/disturbances due to a local event occurring in the area.

The fitness center and pool were both immaculate and well maintained. The breakfast area, while under construction, remained clean and well organized. The shower temperature was glorious. The parking lot and surrounding areas were all very safe. Overall our stay was phenomenal, the hotel location and staff really made our stay in Pittsburgh more memorable. P.S. Club Café Brunch, walking distance from the hotel, was fantastic!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Robin M, Priority Club Champion at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Wow, 5 stars!! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am pleased to hear you were able to receive the clarification of information that you needed before your arrival. None of our calls are ever routed through Central Reservations, so when you call us directly, you can be assured you will always have one of our team members on the other line.
I hate to hear your journey to us was trying, our city can be very difficult to navigate. I am elated all of that changed the moment you arrived! We strive to provide a refreshing entry to all of our guests. The treasure chest Ashley presented you is our Priority Club basket! We present our basket filled with snacks and treats to all of our Priority Club members, just a small way to say “Thank You!” for choosing us and staying loyal to our brand. Each guest may choose one or two items in the basket, along with a bottle of water. Also be sure to join us in the evenings for freshly baked Otis Spunkmeyer cookies and/or freshly popped popcorn!
We have only 8 corner rooms as part of our property with the view you described, 4 with two queens and 4 with 1 king. During your future travels to us, simply call ahead to request one of our corner rooms. They are in high demand, yet as long as one is available, we will definitely accommodate.
I am thrilled to hear you made frequent use of our courtesy shuttle! While all of our drivers are seasoned and knowledgeable, we actually have two “Dave” Drivers, Dave D. and Dave O. I’ll be sure to pass on your kind comments and gracious thanks to both!
I am also pleased to hear you were able to interact with Ms. Betty and Ms. Robin. They are the two “Moms” and caretakers of our team and always set the example of “aiming to please.” I appreciate your positive feedback on our pool area, fitness center and breakfast. Our fitness center is newly expanded with brand new equipment, flat screens, free weights, even yoga mats and medicine balls! Yes, our breakfast area is under construction, but our wonderful breakfast crew, Loretta, Jim and Ms. Dee keep everything consistent and running smoothly.
Again, I cannot thank you enough for your wonderful and detailed review! I will be sure to pass on your comments to all of our front office staff, especially Ashley, our drivers Dave D. and Dave O., Ms. Betty, Ms. Robin and our breakfast crew! Be sure to visit us again next time you pass through Pittsburgh, PA! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Priority Club Champion

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side? Share your experiences!