“Great location, convenient shuttle, great rooms.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #22 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great location, convenient shuttle, great rooms.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed in Pittsburgh on our way to see a Pirates game. We really loved the location. Being late 20/mid20's we liked hanging out by the local bars and restaurants that were walking distance away. I love Pittsburgh so my friend and I walked through Duquesne's campus, Primanti's, and then to PNC Park which might be far for some people. The hotel has a free shuttle (don't forget to tip) from certain palces in Pittsburgh and there's a big, safe intersection near the stadium that they'll come get you from. There's probably more but I don't know what they are.

We drove up from MD we left early to have a leisurely drive but we still got there earlier than normal check-in. No matter, the lady at the front desk found a room for us so we got to check in around 11:00. We had a car and I believe parking was free but maybe not. If I don't remember it then it must have been nominal.

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Robin M, Priority Club Champion at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Wow, five stars!! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! We are thrilled that you loved our hotel and our beautiful city. Many parts of the city of Pittsburgh are very walkable, yet our courtesy shuttle definitely comes in handy transporting you to and from such locations within our three mile radius. Our location is prime, being within such close proximity to so many bars, fabulous restaurants, eccentric shopping and nightlife. Some other places you should not skip during your travels to Pittsburgh include Carnegie Science Center, Rivers Casino, Wholey’s Fish Market in the Strip District, along with some of our other famous restaurants and universities, just to mention a few. I’m glad you mention pick-up and drop-off points for our shuttle, we do have those into play, especially during big events in the city, which all of our seasoned, knowledgeable drivers clearly explain during each trip they make.
I am glad to hear we were able to provide you with an early check-in experience, that way you could relax after your lengthy, leisurely drive before you explored our city.
We do in fact charge for parking, as most of all of the city properties do. Ours, however, is a flat nightly rate of $14, that allows unlimited “in and out” privileges in our secure lot.
Again, I am pleased you enjoyed your experience with us here in Pittsburgh, we sure do hope to see you again in the near future!
Priority Club Champion.

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Dublin, Oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Pittsburg- Southside for two nights. Before our arrival we spoke to the front desk to double check that the room we reserved would be non-smoking. The girl who answered was so forthcoming with information. She told me that the entire property was converted to be non-smoking!

Upon checking in we were most cheerfully greeted by Ashley. After an arduous journey Ashley was a fresh breath of Pittsburgh friendliness. After handing us our keys, Ashley presented us with a treasure chest of goodies and snacks. We originally had a room with two beds but she upgraded our room to a king on the highest floor, overlooking the entire city in two directions. While staying we frequently made use of the convenient and luxurious complimentary shuttle. Our chaperone and driver, Dave, was a most outgoing and jovial lad. He provided us with a wealth of knowledge regarding the best local restaurants, bars, and safety. Each evening we discussed our culinary options with the front desk team Ms. Betty, and Robin. These two lovely ladies were so friendly and helpful they alone deserve a return to this property. Ms. Betty was especially helpful in suggesting area restaurants and bars while Robin went the extra mile to inform us that there may be extra noise/disturbances due to a local event occurring in the area.

The fitness center and pool were both immaculate and well maintained. The breakfast area, while under construction, remained clean and well organized. The shower temperature was glorious. The parking lot and surrounding areas were all very safe. Overall our stay was phenomenal, the hotel location and staff really made our stay in Pittsburgh more memorable. P.S. Club Café Brunch, walking distance from the hotel, was fantastic!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Robin M, Priority Club Champion at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Wow, 5 stars!! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us on TripAdvisor! I am pleased to hear you were able to receive the clarification of information that you needed before your arrival. None of our calls are ever routed through Central Reservations, so when you call us directly, you can be assured you will always have one of our team members on the other line.
I hate to hear your journey to us was trying, our city can be very difficult to navigate. I am elated all of that changed the moment you arrived! We strive to provide a refreshing entry to all of our guests. The treasure chest Ashley presented you is our Priority Club basket! We present our basket filled with snacks and treats to all of our Priority Club members, just a small way to say “Thank You!” for choosing us and staying loyal to our brand. Each guest may choose one or two items in the basket, along with a bottle of water. Also be sure to join us in the evenings for freshly baked Otis Spunkmeyer cookies and/or freshly popped popcorn!
We have only 8 corner rooms as part of our property with the view you described, 4 with two queens and 4 with 1 king. During your future travels to us, simply call ahead to request one of our corner rooms. They are in high demand, yet as long as one is available, we will definitely accommodate.
I am thrilled to hear you made frequent use of our courtesy shuttle! While all of our drivers are seasoned and knowledgeable, we actually have two “Dave” Drivers, Dave D. and Dave O. I’ll be sure to pass on your kind comments and gracious thanks to both!
I am also pleased to hear you were able to interact with Ms. Betty and Ms. Robin. They are the two “Moms” and caretakers of our team and always set the example of “aiming to please.” I appreciate your positive feedback on our pool area, fitness center and breakfast. Our fitness center is newly expanded with brand new equipment, flat screens, free weights, even yoga mats and medicine balls! Yes, our breakfast area is under construction, but our wonderful breakfast crew, Loretta, Jim and Ms. Dee keep everything consistent and running smoothly.
Again, I cannot thank you enough for your wonderful and detailed review! I will be sure to pass on your comments to all of our front office staff, especially Ashley, our drivers Dave D. and Dave O., Ms. Betty, Ms. Robin and our breakfast crew! Be sure to visit us again next time you pass through Pittsburgh, PA! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Priority Club Champion
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

This place was great! We used the free shuttle it was great and never waited for more than 5-10 minutes for pick up. Front desk was able to give us our adjoining rooms before normal check- in time. The breakfast room was crowded but the employees made sure the food was always filled. I could not say enough about the employees the whole staff was great. To top off the stay I left behind an iPad and they returned it to me. Nice to know their are honest people out there these days! We would definately stay here again. Thank you to everyone!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Wow, five stars!! Thank you for your kind words and compliments to our staff! I am elated to hear everything went well with your rooms and our courtesy hotel shuttle. I am also pleased that we found your iPad and we were able to return it back to you safely.
Our team here at the Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh Southside takes pride in the exceptional service we provide! Your positive feedback is the fuel that drives our staff to aim higher! We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Priority Club Champion
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel was a pleasant suprise. The rooms we nicely decorated and spotless, The GYM has updated equipment flat screen TV's. The most outstanding thing at this property was a person, Miss Loretta; this vibrant woman takes personality, service and professionalism to the highest level. Her home made breakfast inclusions rival any resturant.

Room Tip: I would ask for a high floor for a better view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Robin M, Asst GM at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Five Stars, Holiday Inn Express Southside extends its thanks, for such a wonderful review. Ms. Loretta, our breakfast hostess often has comments on her specialties for our guest pallets.
Our hotel has completed its first phase of renovation of rooms and public areas. As of March, 2013 we will be starting an additional phase of renovation of breakfast and lobby areas. We are extremely excited. Surprise! Yes, we are a lovely hotel sitting among commercial, residential and small business.
We appreciate your comments. Look forward to having you stay again.
Lexington, KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I just finished a two night stay at this hotel. I will never go back. My biggest complaints are the shoddy construction of the place, and the hidden fees.

First, hidden fee you should be aware of: $14 per night to park.... to PARK! $130 a night isn't enough to cover my parking too? Also, be aware that this is a separate fee from the corporate credit card used to pay for the room, and cannot, I was told, be charged to that account.

Second, the cheap construction. So much noise. Conversations by the staff and other guests in the hallway were clearly understandable inside the room. I was out in the hall, and could hear my wife wad up a paper sack inside the room, and I was at least 8 feet away from our door! This means you have no privacy! Who knows what the strangers passing by your room might hear! Also, every time any nearby door was allowed to close itself, it would slam. Every time that happened, the walls, and therefore the headboard, would shake violently. This was actually painful while sitting in bed watching TV with my head resting against the headboard. Then, there are the trains. I know the hotel owner have no control over the train schedule, but the horns were extremely loud inside the room. All in all, it seems there is no insulation, or any other attempt to deaden sounds into or out of the rooms.

Third, the food. I know this is a free breakfast, but it was little more than edible. It is great if you are on a diet. You won't want more than one serving of anything they had to cook.

Since you have read this far, I'll list the good points now.
The hotel is clean. I have no complaints about this.
Most of the staff are friendly and courteous.
They do offer a free shuttle service. I found this to be extremely useful!

***The BEST*** thing about this hotel is the morning shuttle driver. Mr Chip is a wonderful man! I cannot express how much I enjoyed talking with him during our trip. He is a shining example of customer service and local knowledge. If I ever make it back to Pittsburgh, I truly hope to see him again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Robin M, Asst. General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Mr. B
The Holiday Inn Express Southside Family regrets your stay wasn’t pleasant. However, a little history of the City of Champions, Pittsburgh, Pa is surrounded by trains, water and bridges. Sometime surrounded by movie film crews filming and with the most popular stars; Russell Crow, Tom Cruise, Denzel Washington, Janet Leigh, Jodie Foster. 447 bridges, in the city, surround by three rivers, and minimum of 7 trains companies surrounding the Pittsburgh area. Unfortunately, the train will blow horns for safety and security for trail crossing and tunnels where some homeless will reside. Hotel was built 10 years ago and the construction and sound proofing wasn’t the same as now in 2013. I will pass your information and concerns to the owners. The hotel regrets your stay wasn’t up to your expectations. Mr. Chip has 40 plus years in the hospitality business. I’ll be sure to make him aware of your extremely wonderful comment as to the front desk. As for parking, it’s listed on our website and various travel listing. Parking is $14.00 per day. The Holiday Inn Express Southside invites you back to our fair city to enjoy the Shuttle, Mt. Washington, and Bourbon Street of Southside-known as Carson Street. So don’t sleep in your car. Give us a call, and try us again. We thank you for your comments.
washington, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My sister and I stayed here to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday on the Southside of Pittsburgh. Check in was fast and efficient, the room was spacious and spotless. The only down side was parking was $14 a night. I know, I know, cheap compared to other cities but I'm not used to paying for parking and the room, lol. Don't hesitate to stay here!!

Room Tip: I'm told you can get a room with a view of downtown Pittsburgh, which is awesome but, we didn...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Robin M, Asst. General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Ms F.W

First! Happy Birthday to your daughter, I hope she was one who was serenaded by the Breakfast Staff. Who provide guest(s) on those special occasions a muffin with a candle and song? How wonderful sharing the 21st birthday with family. Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh Southside was happy to share your visit and thanks you for taking the time to recognize the cleanness of our spacious rooms.
Unfortunately, in the city limits of Pittsburgh, most hotels charge a parking fee. On the bright side you have in and out privileges, and that wonderful shuttle that travels a restricted 3 mile radius. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We welcome you back anytime.
Thanks Again ,for that wonderful 5 star rating.
Kindest Regards
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Had a wonderful experience during my stay recently. From check-in to check-out the staff was super accomodating. They were knowledgable about the area, providing recommendations for dining. The staff at the front desk took time to explain the available ammentities, including the free shuttle provided. The room was spacious and provided all that I needed. Breakfast the next day was very tasty and the staff in the room; especially Dee, were friendly, welcoming and very helpful.
The only unfortunate part was the unruly guests who decided to yell and argue in the halls at 3 am. A wakeup call certainly, but quickly drowned out by the fan in the room. So do wish guests were more considerate of others.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling into the Pittsburgh area.

Room Tip: I might recommend trying to get a room as far to the exterior as possible. Would be less guest room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Robin M, Asst GM at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Avid Traveler88
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh Southside appreciates your kind words. Empowerment is the choice wording that I can use to say the entire staff aims high, take action, and truly tries to be ready for all of guest. Southside the Bourbon Street of Pittsburgh is a place to be known, over 125 bars, grills, eateries and entertainment venues. As well as theaters & film, home tours, art galleries, to renting bikes to tour parts of the city. I thank you for providing such a compliment that I will certainly share with all department in the hotel. Please be reassured that we do have security on the premises daily to help resolve the noise issues. Look forward to you visiting our location again.
Kindest Regards.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side? Share your experiences!