“Worst customer service of any hotel chain ever” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
Burlington, New Jersey, United States
“Worst customer service of any hotel chain ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

In August 2012 I stayed 4 nights for a business trip. My NJ company sends employees to Pittsburgh monthly and they have a corporate American Express card that pays all hotel bills prior to my stay. I gave the desk clerk my bank account visa for "incidentals" of which there were none. So, even though my corporation paid for my hotel stay and parking (the hotel gave me a copy of the AMEX paid bill upon checkout) the hotel decided to also deduct the cost from my personal checking account causing me a few hundred dollars in bounced check fees. Fortunately I noticed this right away and called the hotel only to be treated very rudely and told "I don't have time to deal with this now" by the desk clerk (somehow this was my fault). So I called later in the evening, around 11pm and was told the same thing. The next day I called again, was told they were too busy, and then waited up until 1:00am to call again and again was told they were too busy. I then called a Holiday Inn reservation desk (by this time a few days had passed and I had called the hotel approximately 10 times and was continuously treated very badly). The reservation desk was willing to help but had no access to the records of my stay. They gave me a number for guest services. I called that number which is answered with a message that a representative will be with me shortly. I was on hold 2 hours before I hung up. I called the reservation desk again and this time they connected me, but, again I hung up after 1.5 hours. I called the hotel again at 1:00am and was told they didn't have time to speak to me about this and I replied, "Do I have to get an attorney to get my money back?" The desk clerk nastily replied, "You do what you have to honey." I can confirm that I was not in the least rude to these people so there was no need for this rudeness. My corporate office also called and was treated very rudely. It took me a month to get my money back and to this day the hotel has never taken any responsibility or even apologized, nor did they refund my bounced check fees.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
FOMHIXS, Asst General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Kim R.,We certainly apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. The Holiday Inn Express Southside, delivers customer service and aims high to accommodate our guests needs and requests. So, we encourage you to try our facility again. Our hotel believes we are an All star Team. Again,we apologize that we were not successful in providing a positive experience for you and your friends.
At times we receive comments that are both positive and negative.
In customer service, you learn from the feedback.

256 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great location, great room, and great staff. I would definitely return. The shuttle service is wonderful. The room was clean, spacious, and everything you need for a comfortable stay. The breakfast was good, and the cookies and coffee upon checkin are a delightful added touch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Skellefteå
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Holiday Inn Exp at south side is a really nice hotel were the staff make you feel as you're at a family hotel.
Nice staff, service minded front desk which gives you a kind welcoming and they are keen to make you wanna be back again. The rooms have been renovated even though the "old" ones was not bad. Cleaning is good, it's a perfect area to spend the night without going down town, Carson street has it all, restaurants, club's, pub's, everything needed.
Is it all good ? No, the breakfast could be better, it's good enough as business breakfast but I'd prefer more if I'll bring the family. Price is good though, parking is great.
I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the parking if you prefer to over sleep and don't want the morning traffic...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Lititz, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This "express" hotel has just about everything you could ask for. The rooms are spacious and clean. The staff, for the most part, was very courteous and helpful. The shuttle is great. And, this is probably the best free breakfast I have ever had!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cumberland, Md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Family recent spent a night here and was overwhelmed at the overall attitude and presence of staff. The warm family type atmosphere was over the top. I must give accolades to Shawn and Teresa they made this stay most enjoyable. The breakfast staff was also very professional in representing the establishment. Thanks Again and I will be back.

Room Tip: Great City view from higher floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Robin M, Agm at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
5 STARS: Thank You. The Attitude we project as staff of Holiday Inn Express Southside is Genuine. We have 5 winning way of IHG: . Show we care! Do the right thing!
Aim higher! Celebrate differences! and Work better together!

To those staff member named and departments I will pass on the wonderful compliment.
We feel our hotel should be a home away from home.. Thank You for sharing your thoughts and please join us again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I usually stay at the University Center Holiday Inn Express when I come to pittsburgh (son at PITT), but it was fully booked last weekend, so I tried this location. The rooms are newer and nicer here -- and very clean. Loved the flat screen TV, the little kitchen area, the comfortable bed, and I was lucky to have a great view of the city from my 5th floor room -- all great!

The price is too high for the ambiance in this hotel -- it's very nice, but it just doesn't offer a $250.00+ overall hotel experience.

The breakfast lacked quality hot food (protein) options, but for those who love carbs in the morning, it would be great. It's a pleasant little breakfast room -- and again, the staff was lovely.

The shuttle service is wonderful! The driver (wish I new his name) was excellent -- courteous and extremely helpful, conversational and friendly. I wish they had infomed me (when I booked) that the hotel pool was not in use (found out when I checked in). All in all, a nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Dear Management of the Holiday Inn Express,

I had to send an email and let you know that I was truly impressed when I stayed the Pittsburgh/South Side Holiday Inn Express & Suites. Of course, I have managed to forget the names of the lovely staff people who assisted me…’senior moment’. But I will say that upon check-in your staff was on-point and very well informed about the city and where to go, eat, and what to do. Now, let me tell you about the two gentlemen who shuttled me around Pittsburgh and even picked me up. Getting to the University of Pittsburgh and Duquesne, for my events, was made easy because of the door-to-door service. I’d heard parking was a nightmare and luckily didn’t have to encounter it—all thanks to the shuttle drivers.

Finally, I was grabbing breakfast on my way out the door and the kind staff members helped me turn my meal into a ‘grab ‘n go’. Lastly, I’d like to tell you that the suite I was in…was spot on. Loved it.

Thanks so much and if/when I return to Pittsburgh, I will seek out your hotel and recommend it to others.

Continued success,

Charmed, Charm City (Baltimore, MD)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
FOMHIXS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
We appreciate you taking time to share with us, on how your stay went. I’m elated to hear you had a pleasant experience at our hotel, and found your room to be spacious and clean. Thank you for also highlighting our staff members, The two Shuttle drivers Names were: David D & David O. The Breakfast Staff: Ms. Dee and Mr. Jim. Its always a pleasure when people share their experiences, next time visit the Casino.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side? Share your experiences!