“Excellent Service With Outstanding Attitude” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Cumberland, Md
“Excellent Service With Outstanding Attitude”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Family recent spent a night here and was overwhelmed at the overall attitude and presence of staff. The warm family type atmosphere was over the top. I must give accolades to Shawn and Teresa they made this stay most enjoyable. The breakfast staff was also very professional in representing the establishment. Thanks Again and I will be back.

Room Tip: Great City view from higher floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Robin M, Agm at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
5 STARS: Thank You. The Attitude we project as staff of Holiday Inn Express Southside is Genuine. We have 5 winning way of IHG: . Show we care! Do the right thing!
Aim higher! Celebrate differences! and Work better together!

To those staff member named and departments I will pass on the wonderful compliment.
We feel our hotel should be a home away from home.. Thank You for sharing your thoughts and please join us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I usually stay at the University Center Holiday Inn Express when I come to pittsburgh (son at PITT), but it was fully booked last weekend, so I tried this location. The rooms are newer and nicer here -- and very clean. Loved the flat screen TV, the little kitchen area, the comfortable bed, and I was lucky to have a great view of the city from my 5th floor room -- all great!

The price is too high for the ambiance in this hotel -- it's very nice, but it just doesn't offer a $250.00+ overall hotel experience.

The breakfast lacked quality hot food (protein) options, but for those who love carbs in the morning, it would be great. It's a pleasant little breakfast room -- and again, the staff was lovely.

The shuttle service is wonderful! The driver (wish I new his name) was excellent -- courteous and extremely helpful, conversational and friendly. I wish they had infomed me (when I booked) that the hotel pool was not in use (found out when I checked in). All in all, a nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Dear Management of the Holiday Inn Express,

I had to send an email and let you know that I was truly impressed when I stayed the Pittsburgh/South Side Holiday Inn Express & Suites. Of course, I have managed to forget the names of the lovely staff people who assisted me…’senior moment’. But I will say that upon check-in your staff was on-point and very well informed about the city and where to go, eat, and what to do. Now, let me tell you about the two gentlemen who shuttled me around Pittsburgh and even picked me up. Getting to the University of Pittsburgh and Duquesne, for my events, was made easy because of the door-to-door service. I’d heard parking was a nightmare and luckily didn’t have to encounter it—all thanks to the shuttle drivers.

Finally, I was grabbing breakfast on my way out the door and the kind staff members helped me turn my meal into a ‘grab ‘n go’. Lastly, I’d like to tell you that the suite I was in…was spot on. Loved it.

Thanks so much and if/when I return to Pittsburgh, I will seek out your hotel and recommend it to others.

Continued success,

Charmed, Charm City (Baltimore, MD)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
FOMHIXS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
We appreciate you taking time to share with us, on how your stay went. I’m elated to hear you had a pleasant experience at our hotel, and found your room to be spacious and clean. Thank you for also highlighting our staff members, The two Shuttle drivers Names were: David D & David O. The Breakfast Staff: Ms. Dee and Mr. Jim. Its always a pleasure when people share their experiences, next time visit the Casino.
Allentown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

From check in to check out this was the most pleasant experience. Staff members were wonderful - Glaydys was very friendly. Staff in the breakfast area were also very accomodating and friendly. Room was spacious and CLEAN! Lines smelled great, bed was comfortable had a very restful nights sleep after a 7 hour drive and needing to be up bright and early for business. I will definitely stay here again if in the Pittsburgh area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
FOMHIXS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We appreciate you taking time to share with us, on how your stay went. I’m elated to hear you had a pleasant experience at our hotel, and found your room to be spacious and clean. Thank you for also highlighting one of our staff members, Gladys is truly a wonderful addition to our team. Again thank you for your kind words, and we hope to see you soon, your friends at the Holiday Inn Southside.
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Pittsburgh was the second stop in a six night summer vacation in August 2012. Chose this hotel to use up some points. Came upon the hotel quick after crossing the bridge and found entry challenging-almost missed it. Once inside, the mood was very relaxed. Mgmt at this property has hired the best complement of staff I have ever encountered. This was a family trip, and suggestions by the front desk staff throughout our stay as to where to dine with kids, how to use the shuttle and places to take them were bang on. The shuttle driver Dave was more than accomodating - the folks running the breakfast buffet kept the tables clean and the food full and hot. The rooms were really clean, quiet and comfortable and the place was sold out as the Pirates were at home. There was one hiccup with the shuttle service after a Pirates game but the front desk listened to what I had to say and made things right. Around town, the waiters we had at Station Square, the cabbie who estimated a $25 ride and took some shortcuts to make it $10, and the guy at the ball game, Jimmy, who made sure our seats were clean before we sat down were amazingly friendly and the type of people that will draw you back for another visit. The hotel was a perfect base for three great days in Pittsburgh. We're looking forward to a return visit next summer. Lots to do that we didn't get done.

Room Tip: We like higher floors-find them quieter. Bed near the a/c got really cold. We didn't spend much...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to share with us on TripAdvisor about your stay. Our entry way can be a bit of a challenge upon arriving to the hotel; however we try to keep the area clear so that our guest can move in and out swiftly. Wow, thank you for that amazing compliment, we really have been working hard on training and indentifying the right people for the job, and I’m glad you our guest noticed. Our breakfast crew is amazing, and we thank you for highlighting them as well. We are excited that you loved our city, and we are elated that we were major component in that. See you again soon your friends at Holiday Inn Express Southside.
Deer Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just stayed here this past weekend for a Steelers game. The hotel is clean, rooms are spacious and the staff is very friendly. We didn't use the comp breakfast because its just a short walk to Carson Street where you can find a great little place O'Learys for an awesome and hearty breakfast for reasonable price. Being so close to Carson St. and the bars/restaurants you don't have to worry about driving, we parked the car on our arrival at hotel and didn't get in again until time to go home. The hotel also provides a free shuttle around town which is great. We used it to get to Station Square for ferry on gameday, but you can use them for wherever you want to go in the area, driver was nice and friendly. This is my second time staying here,both for Steeler games. The only negative I can say is that it is pricey but most of the hotels close to the city area are. I might have to cut my trip down to one night next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing with us on TripAdvisor about your stay. We are excited to hear that you find our rooms “spacious and clean, and our staff friendly”. As you mentioned we are close to a lot of action, with Carson St being two blocks away. Our shuttle is an awesome amenity that our guests enjoy, especially during football season. We hope that you will stay with us again soon, GO STEELERS!
Stony Brook, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a few nights on the weekend. We read reviews about the area and it is definitely in a Party area. With that being said my family was able to enjoy the hotel and our stay. The staff was amazing at check in they gave us snack for my family and I...apparently the do that for all Priority Club members. They had cookies which where all gone by the time we arrived and the young lady at the desk mad a special batch for my family and I. The room was nice and spacious, it look and smelled new and clean. It was the first time i've seen a yoga area in the weight room which was a nice touched that i like since I do yoga every morning. The breakfast area was packed but there was always food, and the lady in there was absolutely amazing and accommodating. This was by far one of the Best hotels we have stayed in, everyone was friendly and went out of there way to make our stay a great one. We will be back for a Steeler Game in Dec and we will be staying here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
FOMHIXS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for sharing with us on TripAdvisor about your stay. The Southside can be party central; however we do our due diligence on making it a safe and fun environment for all of our guest. Our Priority Basket has become a favorite of many of our Priority Guest and it seems like we can’t keep enough cookies in the lobby. I’m glad that our staff was able to accommodate you and your family, and excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We thank you for you kind words, and we look forward to seeing you in December. Go Steelers!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side? Share your experiences!