“Convenient location from which to explore a fun city” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
Charleston, WV
“Convenient location from which to explore a fun city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express - South Side may times over the years. This most recent stay was even more enjoyable due to the friendly, helpful staff. From the front desk employees to cleaning staff, all greeted us with a pleasant smile, cheerful hello, and willingness to assist with restaurant suggestions and directions if asked. Management has made a huge improvement in this regard.

The shuttle service is a big plus for us, as parking can be a problem in many areas and driving in Pittsburgh is difficult due to the confusing traffic patterns. The courteous driver (Dave O. was on duty) and offered to take us to restaurants on the ever popular South Side, Mt. Washington, and Strip Districts. We always take advantage of this complimentary service and return to the hotel by taxi if the shuttle is tied up.

Pittsburgh just received a designation from National Geographic in the catagory of "Best of the World"! This is a diverse, fun city to explore and you won't go wrong with this hotel choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view on higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
FOMHIXS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review. As management we’ve been working very hard to improve our service, here at the Holiday Inn Express South Side. Your review is positive affirmation that our team is buying into our system, and providing great service. We thank you for choosing our hotel, and we hope that you will make us your home whenever you come back to our city.

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Brooklyn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

This property is exactly what you'd expect: mostly clean, outdated TVs and other room amenities, and things work well for the most part. You can certainly do worse.

What sets this property apart is the pool, which I didn't get to take advantage of, unfortunately.

The breakfast was OK but nothing special--the best part is the room you eat it in, which has a great view out a huge window.

I debated deducting more points because of an awful hotel shuttle experience: they actually had to call and get a shuttle from another Holiday Inn because their driver went "missing" (he was mysteriously 10 to 15 minutes away for an hour). This caused me and my colleagues to be late to our morning meeting, despite waiting for the shuttle almost an hour before we actually needed to leave.

In short, a fine place to stay on the South Side, but don't count on the shuttle service.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
FOMHIXS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Well first I would like to say thank you for staying with us, and I am sorry to hear about your shuttle experience. Unfortunately we do only have one shuttle, and when it’s in high demand the waits tend to be longer especially in the morning and during rush hour. The shuttle that came to get you was from our sister property, and when our shuttle’s get busy we help each other. It is my hope that you will come, to our hotel again, and allow us to give you the ultimate service experience we’re striving to provide. PS the flat screens will be here in December
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Ill keep this review short and simple.

I stayed in the city for a night to go to a penguin game. We arrived to our very cozy and warm room. The room was spacious and view of the city was great!

We chose this hotel because it was within walking distance of the Consol Energy Center(other side of the bridge), and one of the cheapest in town. We were surprised to find that the price did not alter the overall value of our stay.

The parking was convenient and costed us $14. It was in a gated in parking lot and also there was an available shuttle that takes you anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel for free!

I could continue to add more, but I listed alll of the important info needed. It was a great choice of a hotel for a one night stay in the city and I would recommend it to ANYONE!

Room Tip: when you call to book, ask for a river-view room or view of the city. Thats what I did and they had...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Princeton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

The hotel is located by a bunch of bars, and we were in Pitt with out 16 year old to visit colleges. The shuttle service is great, but I think all the hotels offer it. The hotel could have been cleaner and the breakfast was totally average. The staff was helpful and nice but did not love the location.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
FOMHIXS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Well first I would like to say I wish your family success on all of your future college visits, and hope that you find your perfect fit. I understand that this is a very important time for you, and picking a hotel is part of that experience. The south side can be a little challenging for a family especially on the weekend when our guest seems to be more of a social traveler. However we do take care of a lot of Duquesne University families, and University of Pittsburgh as well. If you find that our location isn’t close enough for you, please allow me to refer to the Holiday Inn in the Oakland area. Please know that this isn’t attempt to send your business elsewhere, but just understanding your desire to be closer to the campus. At the Holiday Inn Express South Side we do aim to, accommodate all of our guest; knowing that everyone’s needs aren’t the same. We recognize where we have room to grow, and hope to retain you as a guest if choose to come back to our beautiful city.
Kannapolis, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

So, I spend months reading and re-reading reviews about different hotels in the Pittsburgh area prior to my trip. I opted to look past the past reviews of railroad horns and party noises to give the HIE-Southside a try, afterall, the pictures looked great. First let me say the "party" or "bar scene" atmosphere didn't bother me, in fact, it reminded me a lot of my college and Navy days, nor did the horns from the trains passing several hundred feet away. It's location was convenient to everything in the southside and its proximity next to the 10th street bridge was convenient and beautiful. What disappointed me about the HIE was the renovated or updated facade didn't adequately portray the worn out furnishing and dated look of the hallways and rooms inside. I had a corner room with two windows yet the room still felt dark with a musty, old smell. The shower had a slow drain that allowed water to back up at least four inches, and the room had an antquated 25" (maybe) box tube television...I thought all hotel rooms in the U.S. had flat screens in 2011. Guess not. The front desk staff and cleaning crew members were very nice but not enough for me to stay more than one night...afterwards I moved to Hampton Inn downtown. Much, much nicer, for the additional cost but that also included "free" parking.

Room Tip: Wait for this hotel to get an indoor renovation.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
FOMHIXS, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear guest, first I would like to thank you, for chosen our hotel. I am disappointed to know that you didn’t find our accommodations suitable, but please know that we are working to update our rooms. To answer all of your questions, our new flat screen televisions have been ordered, and our due to arrive the first of December. With the new televisions we will also be updating our cable to offer more of the channels you love. In January we will undergo a multi-million dollar renovation, updating the hotel from top to bottom. We understand that these changes are needed for our continue success as a Brand and hotel, and we hope that once the renovation is done you will give us another chance to prove ourselves to you.
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed here on a business trip for one night. I've stayed at other HI Expresses and have always found them to be great, for the price. This was not an exception. The hotel is in a good location with a lot of restaurants. The staff were helpful and friendly and the rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. The free breakfast was standard but nothing to complain about. One thing to note, when walking to the restaurants, there were a few "shady" characters on the street - if you're a female traveling alone, just be wary.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Northeast Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed on a Friday night while traveling through the area. Upon arrival we learned we were in a smoking King room. The desk manager immediately offered to upgrade us to a non-smoking King jacuzzi room at no charge. The room was large and comfortable.
The entire hotel seemed very clean. complimentary breakfast was varied and better than expected. The staff was helpful and attentive. Secured parking was convenient and easy to use. It was an excellent value and I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side? Share your experiences!