“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Troy,MI
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

Spent a most enjoyable week-end at the South side HolidayInn. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable. Yes, there are train tracks right next door, but the sound of a once nightly freight train horn and click clack of a freight train is not a bad sound. The location is great. The small bar is now open next door and is a great place for a nightcap after a busy day. outside seating..looking over traffic and the bridge. The hotel staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The free shuttle to local venues can't be beat. Excellent drivers.
Just one block from the Three Rivers Trail, a nice riverside blacktop trail for biking or walking which leads to Station Square, the Incline or the neightborhoods. Great for a early morning jog. Carson Street with restaurants, bars and small shops is 2 blocks away..it is an OK place if you're under 30.
overall, this is a recommended hotel

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I come to Pittsburgh 1-2 times a year to visit family. I usually stay at another hotel, but this time I decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in South Side.
When I get there, after driving 8 hours, I was told there was a parking fee. Ok. Since there is virtually zero parking in the South Side, I paid for it. Yes, had to pay to keep my car in the hotel's parking lot. $14 bucks a night.
I had my husband, 2 year old daughter and a small dog with me. I park in the back in their parking lot and used the door that goes from the parking lot to the hotel. I unloaded the car and settled it. Thats when I heard the frieght trains.. the ones that run all night long. They blast their horns.. all night long..
I always put my do not disturb signs on the door. They do not respect that. Before 10 am, they are knocking on the door. Granted it was to ask us if we needed towels, but .. ahem.. READ THE SIGN!!
Same goes on the second day and night. On the third night, which was a Saturday night, thre were people screaming and running up and down the halls at 3 am. Waking my 2 year old. I had to call the front desk, then they sent up security. I mean, it was going on for a while, am I the only one who complained?
On my last day, they slipped the check out paper under my door. To my horror, they put a $70 charge on my room for the dog. Um, what?!?!?!? I went to the front desk and they THEN told me about their 'no dog policy'. Ok, my mistake.. but why on EARTH would you wait to charge me rather than tell me about it the moment you knew I had a dog? I could have taken him to my brothers house or even borded him for a lot less that $70.
The people at the front desk were nice, and gave me the General managers card. She didn't work on Sundays.
I then go back to my room. I'm packing up my stuff while my husband was taking things out to the car. Suddenly there was a POUNDING on my door. Someone outside yelling "front desk". I open the door and there was a woman standing there with a giant neck tattoo. She proceeds to yell in my face (in front of my dauighter, and other guests walking by) "YOU'RE GONNA PAY FOR THAT DOG". Unreal. They sent their thug after me. What the heck? She embarassed me, but most importantly, scared my daughter. What the heck is wrong with these people? They send up a thug after I was already down at the front desk. I was actually apologetic to the folks at the front desk and felt like a jerk for complaining (I rarely do! Really!). This is the first time I felt so compelled to write reviews because no one deserves this treatment.
I finally get back home, sent the General Manager an email.. another email.. voicemail.. email.. email.. voicemail.. email.. she doesn't return any of my calls or emails. I contact the corporate office, and they quickly washed their hands from it. Said that they are their own entity, and their dog policy is their own. Ok, great, but it's okay to yell at your guests, stick ridiculous charges on them and not even bother to speak with you. Good business. I'm now going to the DCA with this. Such crap that I don't have the time for. I want my money back for the dog.. even though I think I should get ALL my money back for such a huge hassle. OH and I saw their staff on Facebook in the business center. Very professional!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stayed here recently for a work trip. After a comedy of errors in both booking the rooms and staying at the hotel, I sent the below (abridged) complaint to the Holiday Inn national management:

**********************
I have never experienced the sheer lack of service as I did recently at the Holiday Inn Express South Side Pittsburgh.

Reservations and Payment: I booked a group of 8 rooms for four days. I needed an invoice or confirmation with the entire cost of the rooms in order to have my organization write a check for the total cost. I was told that the manager of the hotel was the only person who could provide me with this documention. Over the three weeks preceding the stay, I left no less than 9 voicemails for the manager. Each voicemail provided my name, email address, cell phone number, confirmation code, and a clear explanation of what I needed and why. On one of my repeated calls, I did finally manage to get the assistant manager on the phone; he promised to send me the required information immediately. I finally received the invoice a week later after an additional two voicemails; unfortunately, it indicated that the entire cost for the block of 8 rooms for four nights was approximately $1,500. I immediately replied to the email asking for the correct amount (a total that exceeded 5,000). I never received a reply to this email.

I called the hotel five days before the group checked in so as to have each individual's name on the reservation so that they could check in easily. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with the very polite front desk person, painstakingly giving each name, receiving confirmation numbers for each guest, and going over the payment plan in detail. Upon checking into the hotel, none of the guests were able to use the confirmation numbers I provided them, nor were any of the rooms in their name. Upon checking out, it was established that half of the rooms were charged to each individual's credit card rather than taken from either the corporate card I used to pre-pay the rooms with, or the large check I brought with me. Upon trying to remedy this, I spent another 20 minutes with a very polite and helpful front desk clerk, only to find that not only were the majority of the rooms charged to individual cards, but that they couldn't even find one of the reservations.

Service: Upon checking in, one guest discovered that the couch in his room had been vomited on by the previous guest. When he went to the front desk, he was told that there had been a sports event the previous night, and that someone would eventually be up to clean the couch. Upon arriving back at his room the next night, he found that "cleaning up" apparently meant reversing the couch cushion. He was never offered an alternate room, nor was the mess ever taken care of properly. Three of the guests did not receive maid service for three of the four days. They did not have "do not disturb" signs on their doors, and when they specifically requested service, it was not delivered.
*****************************
I received a standard form response to this, which didn't address any of my actual complaints but promised to have the specific hotel contact me within 48 hours to further discuss this matter. Needless to say, I've not hear back from them.

It's a shame since the actual property is pretty nice. However, in all of my frequent practice of booking hotel rooms, I've never quite had an experience like this one.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

I am going to start with the positive. The staff of the hotel is great! Very helpful! The rooms are clean, and resonably confortable. The bed is a little to firm for my taste. They do have free wifi as well which is very nice.

Now not the hotels fault but figured I would give people a heads up. The trains track are a block from the hotel. All hours of the night a train goes by with the wistle blaring. It makes for a very restless night.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

This hotel is located just past the 10th street bridge south of the river. It's very convenient to both downtown Pittsburgh and to the South Side areas. It's a short block to Carson St., which has lots and lots of very nice bars and restaurants. The hotel itself is pretty nice. My room was not very up to date, but it was fairly clean, comfortable, and very large with an extra couch and table, as well as a fridge and microwave. The staff was very nice. There is free internet, but it is wired. There is a free shuttle, but I did not use it. Although the location is great, one disadvantage is that, being next to a busy bridge, it can get pretty loud around the morning rush. There is parking at $14 a night.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Niagara Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

Go to Pittsuburgh on a regular basis, love going to the bars in South Side so we thought we would try this hotel out. Our main purpose for going was to go to a Penguins game. When we arrived we were greeted by the cutest "grandpa" conciege. We then parked the secure parking lot, you need a key card to get in. We then went to our room that turned out to be absolutely huge, far too much room for two people. We had 2 queen beds, a sitting area, a "kitchen table & Chairs" and a fridge and microwave. Snooped around the rest of the hotel. The gym was quaint, and the pool and hit tub were of decent size.

The lobby offered coffee 24/7 as well as the most fabulous iced tea. We were informed when we went to ask for a cab that the shuttle runs to and from the game free of charge...BONUS!! And to call and it would pick you up in the same place it dropped you off. Very nice! This hotel is only 2 blocks from South Side which is amazing so once again no cab fares.

It offered continental breakfast but we missed it. Free paper in the morning. Free internet. Free coffee. This list for this hotel is endless. For us the location was key and hit the mark!

Would definately reccomend!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

This was a nice hotel. The room was much bigger than what I expected.

We stayed here for a long weekend, the Friday and Sunday nights were relatively quiet but the Saturday night was very noisy. There were several bachelourette parties on our floor alone, complete with decorations all over the hallway. The elevators were filled with very loud guests in the evening. Very annoying.

The breakfast area was OK but very noisy and crowded on both Saturday and Sunday mornings. Many guests came down in their PJs – I hate that but there is not much the hotel can do about it.

At one point there was a restaurant in the hotel. They really need to take the signs down in the lobby and hallways directing guests to it. I wasted a couple of minutes walking around looking for it.

The location was great for us although we did get lost a couple of times trying to find it – GPS signals are low in that area.

The free shuttle service was great – they even picked us up after a game from PNC park. It is within walking distance to many restaurants although I found the area a little sketchy at night.

Overall, I was satisfied with this hotel. We will stay here again; hopefully it will be quieter next time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Pittsburgh South Side? Share your experiences!