“Good hotel, Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #26 of 56 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Santa Monica, California
“Good hotel, Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

Stayed at the Courtyard for one night in Septmeber 2007 and have stayed at this property a couple of times in the past.

As always, the rooms were nice, clean and comfortable. Bed and linens were comfortable and the couch and desk provide functionality. Room rate included a free breakfast and the buffet was nice at that price, but not sure it would be worth the $12 price on the menu. The property is only a few years old and everything still feels relatively new. Its in a great location, within walking distance to Shadyside shops/restaurants, the hospital and Bloomfield and easy drive to Oakland and Squirrel Hill.

My only complaint would be with the valet system. For ~$19/night, I expect a little more service. This is not an isolated experience. Everytime I've stayed there they seem like you're bothering them when you go to retrieve your car. When I went to check out, no valet was to be found. After 10 minutes, I checked with the front desk and apparently, they both went off property at same time so the manager had to bring my car around. Just allow self-parking Courtyard.

Despite the incompetent valet staff, Courtyard Shadyside is a good choice for anyone looking to stay in the area.

• Liked — Location, newness of the property
  • Disliked — Valet staff is a joke
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Armonk, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

We've stayed in this hotel before, and it was very nice. However, we had a different experience when we visited to drop our son off at Carnegie Mellon. Although the room was fine, we had major problems with the required valet parking ($18/night). First, we had to wait 10+ minutes to park our car. The valet could not be found. We had alot of expensive computer equipment in the back of our SUV so I asked the valet if she'd lock the car, and was told yes. However, when the car was parked it was left unlocked, so my son freaked. We got them to lock the car and went up to the room. It looked in good shape, until we found a white capsule on the night stand. I don't know if it was someone's medication, but I wasn't thrilled to find it. When we got into bed there were several tissues between the sheets. Yuck!

When we checked out, the valet was very busy (surprise!) so he gave me a set of keys and pointed me in the direction of the car. Only problem was that they weren't my keys. I could have driven off with another car. Remember, we were charged $18 for this privelege.

Although the hotel is in a convenient location we're staying elsewhere next time.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

I stayed at the Shadyside Courtyard for two nights in January while interviewing at West Penn and Allegheny General Hospitals. Check-in was a breeze, and the room was beautiful. The staff was courteous, and the manager's reception every night was a nice touch. I also enjoyed the complimentary internet in the lobby. I didn't have a car, so I avoided the exorbitant parking fees. The shuttle driver was really nice and left right on time. Shadyside is a fun area of Pittsburgh to wander around, and I definitely enjoyed the fact that there was a Panera bread down the street. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Beautiful, comfy room
  • Disliked — My room didn't get cleaned till 2 pm one day.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2006

My new husband & I were so excited to stay at the Courtyard Marriott Shadyside on our wedding night due to its location to our wedding & the jacuzzi room we had booked...I had called twice to confirm & tell them it was our wedding night & we would not be able to checkin until midnight...both times they seemed friendly & said that they made a note on the reservation. So when we checked in to a normal small, unclean suite we were devasted... so we immediately went back to the front desk to get the keys to our jacuzzi room. Well when we went to get the keys the very unfriendly front desk man said that they gave our room away....i was absolutely shocked...how could they do that especially if they knew it was our wedding night!!! The man barely apologized & told us we could speak to a manager in the morning because there were no managers on duty at night:( He wasn't going to call any other hotel or do anything until I started crying...how horrible is that!! Do not stay here due to incredibly unfriendly staff, unclean rooms from what we saw, high parking rates, giving away of rooms!!!

Stayed September 2006
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

This was the third hotel in our week stay in the Northeast for family visiting. This hotel has a good location, great shuttle service, expensive parking, smallish rooms, good housekeeping, somewhat noisy because of proximity to hospital, nicely landscaped, good staff.

• Stayed May 2006
Lake Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2006

The Courtyard Pittsburgh Shadyside is an outstanding hotel. I stayed here while on business at the University of Pittsburgh. The location was the best aspect of the hotel for me; I was able to walk to my interview, and subsequently walk around such areas as Squirrel Hill and Shadyside to get an idea of apartments (I may be relocating to Pittsburgh). The hotel runs a shuttle around Shadyside and Oakland, though I did not use it.

The room was exceptionally nice. The king bed seemed new and was very comfortable, as was the chair and the sofa. I liked the free high speed internet and room came with a refrigerator, which I hadn't expected. I admit it took me a few minutes to figure out the lights in the room--there were quite a few switches and it wasn't clear what did what. However, it was very nice to be able to turn on the light in the hall outside the bathroom from the bed! It made getting up the next morning much easier. There were also lights that could be dimmed to your preference above the bed. Very nice! The room was quite spacious, and if you could easily fit four people into the room by using the sofa bed.

The only downside to all Courtyards in my opinion is the overpriced breakfast buffet. I was in a hurry the morning of checkout and didn't have time to seek breakfast elsewhere, so I paid 11 dollars for a very average breakfast. If you eat a lot, it's great, but even if you are a moderate eater, it's a total ripoff. I need to learn a lesson and simply stay away.

The hotel does require valet parking, unless you park on the street and feed meters. I found the valet parking kind of ridiculous--I would have preferred a system of self parking you could pay for to keep prices down. They simply parked the car in the lot right in front of the building, and it was frustrating to pay 18 bucks to watch them drive your car no more than 20 feet away. However, parking is at a premium in the area so they can get away with this.

I didn't use them, but there seemed to be a nice pool and an exercise room.

Other than the breakfast and the parking issue, I heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2005

The Courtyard Shadyside is a very nice hotel for business travelers and those visiting Shadyside hospital. It is very clean with exceptional service, a nice restaurant, wonderfully comfortable rooms and a Starbucks in the lobby! The hotel is a bit expensive for the area, but you are paying for the convenience of being so close to the hospital apparently. The staff is courteous and the hotel is a real gem!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Shadyside? Share your experiences!