“Bad, bad, bad.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Buffalo
“Bad, bad, bad.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Check in was smooth and fast, we proceeded to our room and was greeted by the previous guest’s urine on the toilet and floor, although the staff quickly attended to the situation, we questioned the cleanliness of the rest of the facility for the remainder of the stay. The mandatory valet service is not uncommon with a city hotel, it would be nice if one of them could drive a manual transmision, I watched my car stall six times as they were driving it down the block when we were checking out. Thanks for the clutch work Marriott!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bellmore, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Checked in after 2:00 a.m., they were ready for us! Room nice and neat. On check in they offered us some complimentary water after our long drive. Breakfast was perfect pick me up.

The only bad thing that I have to say is that I am sorry we only stayed one night.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Globe, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

If you've been to a Courtyard before, you know what to expect. Location is great for the hospitals, less so for CMU or Pitt, but they have a free shuttle service. A few places nearby (Starbucks on site, Panera bread and Sam's club around the corner), more options on Walnut about a ten-minute walk. The lobby is warm and welcoming, but my room was cold and simple. I had one of those air-conditioners that are mentioned in other reviews: very noisy and not exceptionally efficient. Other than that, no complaints. Housekeeping is reasonable and the staff were friendly enough. There's wired internet in the rooms but no wifi; wireless is only available in the lobby.

Booked through Priceline for less than $50 a night. I don't think I'd pay the hotel's regular rate.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
brooklyn, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

I travel a fair amount for business and stay at the Marriott chain exclusively. This was one of my least favorite business stays. The room was not as clean as other Courtyards. The air conditioner makes loud noises constantly whether on or off, as if it is forever assesing the room temperature to see if it needs to turn back on. I could only sleep by putting a pillow over my head to block the noise. You have to valet your car for $18/day eventhough they have plenty of parking. Valet parking when traveling for business is annoying for me because I need to get things from my car often and have to get my keys from the valet all the time. In the lobby they have one computer for the whole six floor hotel, so of course there is a wait. One elevator was down, as well. The fitness center only has cardio. I tried to check in around 2:30 PM and this was the first time I ever had to wait for a room to be cleaned....and I often check in in the morning. All in all I really did not like this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
southern california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

We stayed there for one night. Everything was fine, but like a lot of city hotels you have to valet park and it's a little expensive. We stayed at this one because it was close to a university we were visiting. We have also stayed at the one in Homestead, which we liked a little better if you don't need to be in this specific area. But this was a fine hotel. No Problems.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stayed here recently when I flew into town for a quick overnight. Liked the room very much; comfy kingsize, very clean. Staff directed me to a pleasant restaurant (Cafe Sam) around the corner, and a street nearby where I could park and avoid the valet charge, since I was on a budget. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Mobile, Ala.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

My beef with the Courtyard/Shadyside has to do with the lack of service. The room was large, spotless, comfortable.

I was there on a Friday night/Saturday morning. The dining area was only half full; all of the unoccupied tables hadn't been cleared.

Breakfast, at $10.95 wasn't worth it, especially when it took a full half hour to just to get a waffle. I offered to cook it myself, but was told a server would deliver it. Waiting gave me the chance to watch 4 police officers wait and wait and wait to be acknowledged, much less seated. Between serving myself fruit, waiting for the waffle and then waiting again for the bill, breakfast took a full hour.

When I checked out, the desk clerk asked, "Was everything to your liking?" to which I replied, "Breakfast was painfully slow." It was as if she didn't hear me. "Here's your receipt! Have a nice day!", she chirped.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Shadyside? Share your experiences!