“Very disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 56 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Ohio
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

I always say that Ive never had a bad experience at a Marriott, but unfortunately my experience at this particular Marriott Courtyard hotel wasnt that great. The front desk clerk barely raised his head to greet me when I checked in and when I checked out the experience wasnt much different. The valet parking of 18.00 a day was ridiculous, particulary since they have a parking lot and my car sat a stones throw from the front door. They didnt have a bartender for their lounge so they pulled a girl from another hotel who had never bartended. I had to tell her how to make a simple gin martini. They also didnt have any clean glasses so she tried making my drink in a little orange juice glass. At least she was very friendly and openly admitted to the issues. The following night I ordered the same drink, this bartender had to look at a sheet to make my drink and he charged twice as much as I paid the night before. The resteraunt wasnt really a restaraunt at all. Its part of the lobby and the service was terrible. I felt bad for the server because she had a large party of rude people to deal with. But aside from that party, I was the only person there including my guest. She admitted that the wine list was old so they didnt have the selections that I made and when she brought the bottle to the table, she didnt pour it. I said thank you and her response was "yeah". When she finally brought my $90 check, she advised me to hand her my credit card because it would probably be another "ten years" before she made it back. The room was very tiny, but it looked okay. The AC unit in the room was so loud it kept me from sleeping and the bed was extremely uncomfortable. I was suprised because I usually find the beds and the rooms very nice and comfortable at other Marriott brand hotels. The hotel was really well kept and I enjoyed their little fenced in patio in the back of the hotel but they really need to improve their customer service and adjust their high prices accordingly.

• Liked — Located very close to great museums and restaraunts
  • Disliked — Customer service and room comfort
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

We recently stayed here for three nights, having decided on this hotel because it is the only one of any size in this area of Pittsburgh (convenient to colleges and the Shadyside neighborhood). Our experience was positive but nothing special. The hotel is clean and neat, and all of staff members we dealt with were friendly. Our biggest complaint was the bedding - our sheets were threadbare and pilled (very scratchy to sleep on (and verging a little on that creepy feeling) and the pillow choices were limited to foam. For hotels at this price point (close to $200 per night), there are chains that offer much more comfortable beds and luxurious bedding (think Hilton, Kimpton). The hotel food (we tried the breakfast buffet) also wasn't great - fortunately there is the Starbucks inside the hotel. Another plus - a flat screen TV - but given that the walls are quite thin, chances are you will hear your neighbor's TV. We will stay here again because of the location and will just hope a few things get upgraded.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bed/bedding
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lewis Center, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

My daughter was looking at colleges in the Pittsburgh area and this hotel was recommended by Chatham College. The hotel is very convenient to Chathm College, CMU, Pitt and Carlow. Actually it's right across the street from one of Pitt's medical buildings. The hotel was very clean. We ate dinner in the restaurant and for restaurant food, it was reasonable and good. There is a Starbucks connected to the hotel and a Panera Bread within walking distance. We had a room with 2 queen beds and it was larger than normal hotel rooms. Each bed had 4 pillows and the bedding was very comfortable and clean. We used the pool and hot tub which were both great and the pool area had its own towels.

Within a short drive is Market Street full of great unique shops and national chains and restaurants.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. We will stay here again.

• Liked — Clean room
  • Disliked — paying for parking
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

This is a very nice Courtyard--clean, comfortable, and with a generally very pleasant staff, particularly in the hotel restaurant. The food is also quite good, and the breakfast buffets, at $9.95 and $8.95 for the hot and cold offerings, respectively, are worth the money.

There are two downsides, however. The first is parking, which costs $18.20 per day for valet service. Unfortunately, except for Sundays, you cannot park at the nearby street meters because they will tow your car between 7 and 9 a.m. and 4 and 6 p.m. The other less desirable reality of this hotel is that there are a few rude employees. One, a receptionist named Crystal, rebuffed my request for a discount that had been promised by one of her colleagues when we downgraded our room. We attempted to persuade her, but she made it abundantly clear that in my case at least, the customer was never going to be right. Nice.

My advice is to park on the street on Saturday night. They don't tow on Sundays and you'll save almost twenty bucks. One other recommendation: Don't deal with Crystal.

• Liked — Food quality in restaurant.
  • Disliked — Attitude of front-desk staff.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

We stay at the Courtyard Shadyside 4-5x per year (we have family in the area), and it is the first place that we look to stay when we are in Pittsburgh. The hotel is newly constructed (circa 2003), has free internet, and a Starbucks right off the lobby. When we stayed in December, we had an issue with a group of teenagers who were watching movies loudly in the room adjacent to us. I made a phone call, and management quickly moved us into a different room,where it was much quieter.

The only annoying part of the hotel is the valet parking. They charge $18.85 per day to park your car in a lot that is literally right in front of you, and that you could do yourself. The justification for this is parking management, but it feels a bit ridiculous when you are tipping on top of paying the parking fee.

Nevertheless, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to stay in Pittsburgh. It is within easy walking distance (5-6 blocks) of both Shadyside and Bloomfield, both of which have a host of restaraunts and bars.

• Liked — Value for the price
  • Disliked — Valet parking.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

Stayed at the Courtyard for one night in Septmeber 2007 and have stayed at this property a couple of times in the past.

As always, the rooms were nice, clean and comfortable. Bed and linens were comfortable and the couch and desk provide functionality. Room rate included a free breakfast and the buffet was nice at that price, but not sure it would be worth the $12 price on the menu. The property is only a few years old and everything still feels relatively new. Its in a great location, within walking distance to Shadyside shops/restaurants, the hospital and Bloomfield and easy drive to Oakland and Squirrel Hill.

My only complaint would be with the valet system. For ~$19/night, I expect a little more service. This is not an isolated experience. Everytime I've stayed there they seem like you're bothering them when you go to retrieve your car. When I went to check out, no valet was to be found. After 10 minutes, I checked with the front desk and apparently, they both went off property at same time so the manager had to bring my car around. Just allow self-parking Courtyard.

Despite the incompetent valet staff, Courtyard Shadyside is a good choice for anyone looking to stay in the area.

• Liked — Location, newness of the property
  • Disliked — Valet staff is a joke
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Armonk, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

We've stayed in this hotel before, and it was very nice. However, we had a different experience when we visited to drop our son off at Carnegie Mellon. Although the room was fine, we had major problems with the required valet parking ($18/night). First, we had to wait 10+ minutes to park our car. The valet could not be found. We had alot of expensive computer equipment in the back of our SUV so I asked the valet if she'd lock the car, and was told yes. However, when the car was parked it was left unlocked, so my son freaked. We got them to lock the car and went up to the room. It looked in good shape, until we found a white capsule on the night stand. I don't know if it was someone's medication, but I wasn't thrilled to find it. When we got into bed there were several tissues between the sheets. Yuck!

When we checked out, the valet was very busy (surprise!) so he gave me a set of keys and pointed me in the direction of the car. Only problem was that they weren't my keys. I could have driven off with another car. Remember, we were charged $18 for this privelege.

Although the hotel is in a convenient location we're staying elsewhere next time.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Shadyside? Share your experiences!