“Excellent Hotel & Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #26 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
columbus, ohio
“Excellent Hotel & Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Had a family emergency and ended up at Shadyside Hospital. Called hotel late and spoke to Doug. He was very helpful in securing us a room and made us feel welcome. This kind of attitude is important when facing a difficult medical emergency. Hotel was also very clean and comfortable. If I have to come back to Pittsburgh I will definately stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Phil_G_Columbus_Ohio,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about our Courtyard. We’re hoping all is well with you and your family. I’m glad Doug was able to help you and I’ll let him know of your special compliment of his work. We welcome you to come and stay with us again and hope it will be for leisure the next time.

All the best,

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Have stayed here many times in the 4 years my son has been at PITT. I am finally getting around to letting people know what a NICE, clean, and comfortable hotel this is. If you have young adults attending PITT in this is a very good hotel to stay at in the Oakland area. I have never been disappointed. The only issue is getting a reservation because everone has found this gem.

Room Tip: Make reservation early as possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
PITTparent,

Thank you very much for your kind review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you staying with us and letting others know of our special hotel. We hope future travelers will take your advice and stay with us when they’re in the Pittsburgh area. Please come and stay with us again soon.

Best regards,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was recently a guest in your hotel and was amazed to find out that the parking rate was $17.88 a night which is outrageous. I am 84 years old and have stayed at many hotels with free parking for hotel guests. The service was great at the front desk and the dining room but it was overshadowed by that expensive parking. Why the expensive charge?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
JDB859,

Thank you for staying with us at Courtyard. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. As our Urban Location is limited with parking, not only ourselves, but the majority of the hotels and businesses provide Valet Only Parking Services. We consistently monitor area costs to ensure we are competitively priced for the greatest value. The benefit of our location is that it provides amazing restaurants, museums, zoo and events within walking distance. It also provides nearby shuttle routes which routinely allow our guests to avoid any additional costs by not needing to pay for parking at many of those nearby destinations.

Thank you for noting our excellent service as it our goal to make every guest stay a positive experience!

Cascais
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Marriot standards in a quiet zone, bus stops right in front the hotel, including the university shuttles. The hotel also offers shuttles for the neighborhoods. Convinient Starbucks in the ground floor. Giant eagle 3 blocks away.

• Stayed August 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
JIPD,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We’re glad you chose to stay with us at Courtyard during your visit to Pittsburgh. We invite you to stay with us again for another clean, comfortable, and convenient visit.

Yours truly,
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

At this hotel now. 1room was not cleaned by 3 pm.&they make you throw your towels on the floor so everything is dirty. They only clean every other floor at a time and if you are on the wrong floor, it doesn'to get cleaned until after 4. Then after the room was finally cleaned someone knocked at the door and and then just opened it with a passkey. After he opened the door he said he was maintenance. I called the front desk and they knew nothing about it I had to scream at him not to come into the room. And they charge $29 per day to park incl tax only valet supposedly 24/7 but when I needed something from my car at 4am, the front desk male staffer just gave me the keys and I had to walk across the wet grass slipping and dropping my things, so he could stay in the back room, ostensibly, not watching the tv.so much for Marriott. When I called the front desk,no one paid me any heed.

Stayed August 2012
Dear Jordana16,

We appreciate your feedback as we always strive for heightened customer satisfaction and excellent response time. I am happy that the issues encountered during your stay had been addressed and resolved personally and immediately by our Leadership Team to your satisfaction during your stay! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are back in Pittsburgh. We will be sure to personalize your stay to our high standards of service to meet and exceed all of your expectations from beginning to end!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

When we pulled into the parking lot to check in, we were faced with a sign that valet parking was mandatory at $17.88 per day. I do not believe this was mentioned on the website. A hidden cost?? The breakfast buffet (for a flat cost) was average but for me the big plus was that there was a Starbuck right there and an entrance to it from the hotel. I did utilize the Starbucks a lot. There was a small swimming pool which my granddaughter and I utilized. The rooms were comfortable and the staff polite. Since I did not pay the bill, I do not know what the cost of my room was (as I was a guest) thus I cannot comment on the "value" for the price.

1941redhatnana,

Thank you very much for taking a moment and writing about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We’re glad you and your granddaughter had a nice stay with us. Please visit us again soon.

Regards,
GLASGOW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Wasn't too happy with the fact it was valet parking with all that entails (should have checked though) and cost $18 a day. There were 5 people - 5 - crowding round us at reception, being very attentive. Bit much. I like to be invisible in a hotel. We didn't like the first room - first floor, on main road, noisy and after the usual " there are no other rooms available" from the receptionist, after toughing it out, we got a move to the fourth floor on the quiet side, with a bit of a view. Thanks Todd - you were a big help here. Big room, comfortable, with the noisiest air conditioning in the world, which meant we had to turn it off, and sweat it out, to get any sleep.

Buffet breakfast was excellent - about $11.

We tried phoning a local number from our room - 75 cents per call we were told - failed miserably, got the reception to help, and found from out bill that they charged us about 8 or 9 dollars for two calls that lasted about 5 minutes max in total. No doubt some small print there somewhere.

The valets eventually lost interest in us when it became evident we weren't going to ask them to retrieve our hire car from wherever they parked it. No retrieval, no tip you see.

And this was the problem with this hotel. Apart from being near nowhere in particular, in Pittsburgh, over attentiveness linked to the old dollar, which is much much beloved by service staff in the US I've found, made me feel uncomfortable. I never know how much and when and always end up feeling guilty. It's a business hotel. I felt like a fish out of water and had some translation issues (Scottish accent which only Todd - genuine nice guy who knows how to deal with people - understood, it appears)

Room Tip: Don't give in to the receptionist
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Shadyside, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
plonker7,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your business. We strive to uphold the highest quality of service for our guests no matter which service our guests choose to use here at Courtyard. I’m pleased to hear of your compliments about Todd and will make sure to provide him with a special commendation for his outstanding work. We hope you will come and visit us again the next time you visit Pittsburgh.

Yours truly,
Alexandra Starr, General Manager

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Shadyside? Share your experiences!