“Service dog at the Carnegie Science Center” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 78 Attractions in Pittsburgh
Type: Science Museums, Museums
Pennsboro, West Virginia
“Service dog at the Carnegie Science Center”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My giant service dog in training, Mon Equi, my date and I spent hours here enjoying the activities. If I had taken kids instead of a dog, it would have gotten top grade, but service dog partners beware: You are surrounded by children - noisy, excited, exuberant children. Qui was touched occasionally by unattended older children who simply did not know any better. Although she adores children, the poor dog was overwhelmed. She buried her head between my knees at one rest point, I am thinking to block out the noise and sight of all these little bundles of energy.
She did recover by the basketball tossing robot. Ball? BALL? And she did very well in the IMAX since she got to sleep.

Kudos to the wonderful staffer who, seeing our need, invited us to use an elevator to which he had a key, and then got us chairs to sit in an area of the theater that eliminated the need for me to negotiate the stairs. He made me feel like I was not in any way disabled. Staff everywhere were accomodating without being overly solicitous. That is a hard balance to strike so whoever gave them training, it is appreciated. We watched the Hubble movie. Any space nerd would love it. Can't wait to go back for the tornado movie. And kudos to the parents. When kids wanted to treat Qui like one of the interactive exhibits, the parents were terrific in teaching the kids why a working dog should not be touched. And parents also taught their children to politely ask to touch her. With the courtesy they showed, I hated to have to tell them no, but had taught Qui to 'wave' on command for these occasions.

Also worth visiting was the gift shop. Had any of the supernerd items for sale been available to me when I was a kid, my life may have taken a different career path - a smarter, richer, way cooler life! Parents and boyfriends, take plenty of money - intelligent toys cost $$

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
3 attraction reviews
“so much fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I remember coming here when I was a kid, but it's amazing how much it held up for me as an adult. Roboworld was awesome and the science in sports section was really cool for my younger family members. This place is always worth the trip.

6 attraction reviews
“I found HAL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The science center is a great attraction to take the kids. So many different hands on booths and they had a science/sports center for the kids. I enjoyed robot world the best!

Visited January 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
4 attraction reviews
“You should do this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Lots to do here for both kids and adults. Will go again with more family members. Sports works totally worth it. Roboworld also worth the trip. We ran out of time and had to get on the road but there was much more to see and do. Looking forward to returning

Charleroi, Pennsylvania
17 attraction reviews
“My Grandkids changed what they want to be after this trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My Grandkids changed what they want to be after this trip. My Granddaughter wants to be a pathologist now and my Grandson wants to become a biologist after just one visit to the Carnegie Science Center. Heck I might go back to school myself after seeing all the neat science stuff in there.

Visited August 2012