“Cool Ride” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 236 things to do in Pittsburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: This tram, opened in 1870, still carries passengers up and down Mount Washington.
Cincinnati, Ohio
9 attraction reviews
“Cool Ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

The views of the city were amazing. Well worth 3.50 for a round trip ticket. Glad we rode it, this is a must do for anyone visiting Pittsburgh.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,154 reviews 1,154 reviews
544 attraction reviews
“Love a good view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I truly enjoy seeing things from way up high, and this is a fun way to do that! People use it for their daily commutes, which I think is pretty cool, and it's an inexpensive ride up to a part of Pittsburgh you would likely otherwise miss!

Mechanicsburg, PA
55 attraction reviews
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

A few weekends ago, I visited Pittsburgh for the first time, and the Monongahela Incline was a must do on my bucket list. I really wanted to ride up to the top during the daytime, though a Pittsburgh friend suggested that the view is better at night, so I decided to go then.

Before visiting, I had done some research regarding the incline and knew that you needed exact change. I happened to have exact change, though no one else in my party did, and they had a bit of a difficult time finding an establishment that would give them change. The incline is easy to find and get to, although I personally thought the surrounding area seemed a bit sketchy. Once inside the station, there is a change machine, but I believe it only gives quarters. So get the exact change before you come because I'm sure you probably don't want to carry $20 in quarters in your pocket! I waited about two minutes before I could board the car. Before I knew it, I was on my way up to the top. The view was amazing. The incline was also lit up with pretty lights from the bottom to the top. Once at the top, you pay your fare. It costs $3.50 for a round trip, and if you spend too much time at the top and do not return to the bottom by a certain time, I believe you are charged the single way fare, which costs more.

The view at the top was fantastic. I loved it. You get a good panoramic view of the city. Mt. Washington seems like a nice, little town. Unfortunately, I visited on a Sunday night, and everything (stores, restaurants, ice cream shop) were closed. A while later, I returned down to the bottom.

I really liked the incline. I love the fact that the incline was built in the 1800s and it is still up and running today. I think it is also pretty cool how some people use the incline to commute back and forth to work. Plus, the incline runs nearly, but not quite, 24 hours a day. If and when I visit Pittsburgh again, I will definitely try the incline during the day. I highly recommend this attraction!

Visited April 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Slow and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The absolutely splendid view of this gorgeous city (especially under a blue sky and in the spring) simply must be preceded by the long, laborious, creaking (and sometimes shaky) acutely angular ascent up Mt Washington. Sit in the lowest seats, right in front of the window so your gaze comprehends more and more of the Golden Triangle, Heinz Field and the North Shore, Southside and Oakland.

Of course, being a yinzer myself, I'm altogether biased in my slant on the Incline. But it's just so mystically and essentially "Pittsburgh" that it should become an initiatory rite for anyone who has the good luck to move in to the 'Burgh.

Even my daughter's boyfriend, a Patriots fan from Rhode Island, almost converted when he, yesterday, ascended to the heights.

Meadville, PA
8 attraction reviews
“Great way to see beautiful Pittsburgh Skyline!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I love to take visitors up the Incline. On a nice day, it shows Pittsburgh's skyline at it's best. It is 3.50 round trip and you need exact change. You pay at the top. There are change machines. It is something to do over and over in Pittsburgh.