“good eating!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Meat & Potatoes

Meat & Potatoes
649 Penn Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 (Downtown)
(412) 325-7007
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Meat & Potatoes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 1,895 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Street
Transit: Being a downtown Pittsburgh location, there are many options and we recommend going to the Port Authority website for schedules, rates and general information.
Description: Meat & Potatoes is a place with a warm, inviting pub atmosphere that serves sophisticated, yet unpretentious food. An extensive, and creative, cocktail, beer and wine list is an integral part of what we do at our wonderful establishment. Come visit a place where the locals dine!
Detroit, Michigan
“good eating!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We purchased the meat and potatoes for 2. (34oz tbone with fries and bone marrow) SO GOOD! I had a huge bone, i felt like a Flinstone. Not bad for $60.

Visited August 2014

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“As Seen on the Travel Channel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Many months ago I saw a foodie program on the Travel Channel featuring a 34 ounce Rib Eye steak for two at the Pittsburgh restaurant "Meat and Potatoes" (649 Penn Ave in the Cultural District). I received a gift card from my daughter as she knows we love trying new restaurants and my wife and I split this huge steak and were not disappointed. The restaurant is upper scale and a great place for that special occasion. Next time I will try the Huge pork chop I saw the couple next to us order.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Good brunch, reasonable value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

My wife and I had the Croque Madam and Fried Chicken and Waffles. They were quite tasty and much larger than I expected. I got 4 pieces of chicken (drumstick, thigh, wing and breast) and a large waffle. A good downtown alternative to Pamela's diner for brunch. It is quite busy so expect a 15-20 minute wait if you don't have reservations.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
England
“Get the pork chop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Probably one of the best simple meat dishes I have ever had.

This is not the greasy, tough pork chop you remember from childhood, it is a super thick, double cut, tender, flavorful hunk of deliciousness. So good, that you will force yourself to finish it, even though it could easily feed two people.

We also tried the mac and cheese and pork tacos. Both were amazing. Not competely certain, but I think the pork in the tacos is the same meat from the chop, probably odd cuts just marinaded, spiced and sliced. So, so good.

The prices here aren't cheap, but this is one of those rare places where the slightly higher prices are completely justified given the quality and portion sizes.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not Your Basic M&P Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I was expecting a good comfort food establishment when I friend suggested we go here to celebrate her birthday with dinner and was pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff and warm atmosphere that was unique with animal heads on the wall and cushioned upholster chairs. Although we had the reservations for 9:00 PM, we waited another 20 mins to be seated with the hostess apologizing that the guests were still lingering after their bill. The menu items will satisfy the hearty meat and potatoes appetite, but would bypass the pricier entrees. My partner had the skirt steak and found it very chewy, while I couldn’t finish all the Mussels of the Day cooked in white wine and chorizo that arrived heaped high in a large bowl. Our birthday friend had the Salmon which looked a little lost on the plate. The cocktails were wonderful and the list too numerous to decide.

The location is downtown in the midst of the theater district with several parking garages in the area, but lucked out with free street parking after 7:00 PM. The restaurant is co-located with a Cabaret in the same building with the restrooms located in the theatre lobby area that might get congested if there's a show.

• Visited July 2014