“Residence Inn Pitt University - overpriced - choose another hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #35 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
“Residence Inn Pitt University - overpriced - choose another hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

We just got back from staying at this hotel for one night (Friday night, March 20th to check-out on Saturday morning, March 21st). I went with my sister and my nephew to check out University of Pitt Campus and they had a "Spring Tour" scheduled for Saturday, March 21st. We arrived around 5:30 pm, Friday night. Now, I knew from doing my research about this hotel (reading the reviews on this website of course!) that we would have to pay a $13.00 parking fee to leave our car in the hotel garage for the duration of our stay. I would complain about that, but I guess I can understand as there really is no place to park your car and they have to pay for the parking garage somehow. The only problem is it's a $13.00 DAILY parking fee. Now, luckily they do not charge you on the morning that you check out (in our case, Saturday, March 21st). But imagine staying there for 3 days. The hotel is not exactly cheap to say the least, and then to add on a parking fee of $13.00 per day is really expensive and outrageous. The problem I have most about this hotel is how much they charge per room. Now, since we were there for the Spring Tour for University of Pitt, we received a University of Pitt discount. So we stayed in a one bedroom suite with pull out sofa bed (it just gives you a bit more privacy with a door that closes in the bedroom (queen bed) and therefore separates you a bit from the kitchen/living room). This cost us $129.00 for the night (including tax). When we first walked into our room, I was very impressed as it looked very nice, and very updated. I have to say it seemed very clean for the most part until I took a shower that night. The shower was not clean AT all. There was hair on the sides of the bathtub and I was just grossed out by that. What else bothered us was that the room did not have any air circulating in it. There weren't any ceiling fans in any of the rooms and when we tried to turn on the air conditioner (yes, I know it was still kind of cool outside, but my sister and I like it cool inside the room), it wouldn't work. So when we asked the front desk, they told us that the hotel is in charge of regulating the air system. In the summer, they turn on the air, and in the winter, they turn on the heat. We just didn't like that, especially for the amount of money that you are paying for your room, you should be able to be comfortable in it. Everyone has their own different comfort zone. Anyway, they did offer to have someone come in and open a window for us. When we got to our hotel room, there was a man there from security who opened our window in the bedroom. Thank god for that. Now a potential problem there was that there was no screen for this window. So thank god there were no bugs outside to come through the window and that it was a crisp cool night. We were lucky to just get some fresh air. Now, maybe we are being picky about the air situation and the lack of screens, but, again, with the amount of money you are paying for this room (and we weren't even paying the real rate!), come on.

Two more complaints. We called down to the front desk 3 times to ask for them to bring us up extra pillows. These pillows never arrived. A call was placed 3 times! What kind of service was that? Ridiculous. Finally, the refrigerator. When we first came into our room, the refrigerator was not working. After we figured out that the temperature of the room was regulated, and we weren't getting anywhere with security bringing us up our pillows, we just didn't even complain about the refrigerator. Well, we had bought ourselves some sodas. After dinner, we wanted our sodas to be cold. But in order for them to be cold, we needed ice from our refrigerator, which was not working. So, I looked in the refrigerator again, and finally I saw a switch to TURN ON the refrigerator. It was as simple as that. I know that sounds stupid for us not to have figured that out. Here is my problem. Why do they turn these refrigerators off in the first place? Okay, maybe b/c it's expensive? I get that. Well, then let the occupants/guests know to turn on the refrigerator when they check into their room! Simple as that. A little help here please! I don't know, maybe the refrigerator incident was our fault. I just think that with the whole thing of the hotel controlling the air system, that we just automatically figured they controlled the refrigerator too? Plus, we didn't want to call b/c we weren't getting anywhere with that either, as no one was bothering with us.

Okay, that's it for me complaining. I just wanted to vent and let everyone know how we made out on our visit.

Again, just my opinion.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

This hotel was so well managed and with a great professional staff. Breakfast was outstanding and kitchen staff was very friendly. Hotel had a great upbeat look to it. I will definitely be back and will choose this hotel when I return.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Mediocre extended stay ex apartment building turned residence inn. Staff was very nice but busy. The room was clean. The surrounding area was difficult to navigate. There were no restaurants, convenience stores, grocery stores, or anything except the university/medical center in the immediate vicinity. The parking set up was a mess. One half of a toilet paper was all that was left in the relatively substandard residence inn one bedroom room, so we had to track down the maid. Find someplace else if you have to go to Pittsburgh on business, and pass on steeltown in general. The whole area was kind of a dump.

• Liked — nice staff
  • Disliked — in pittsburgh, ugh
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
aruba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

We stayed at this hotel from 2/22/08--2/24/08. Upon arriving at 3:30AM after driving 7 hours through a snowstorm, we were greeted warmly and were quickly given our room. The woman at the front desk was friendly and quite helpful. The hotel is an all suite hotel, and the rooms are beautiful. They have just been renovated, and are all beautifully decorated. Each room has a fridge, which was great for us, because we were able to store all the food we brought to give our sons who are college students in the area. The free continental breakfast they provide each morning is terrific. They have choices ranging from freshly made waffles, to oatmeal, to cold cereal. something for everyone. The manager was circulating throughout the dining room and chatting with all the guests. She was quite personable and was really trying to make sure everyone felt welcome. We saw her give small toys to a family with 2 young kids. What a nice touch. We have stayed here in the past and have always been more than happy with our stay. Can't wait to come back and stay here again. Great hotel.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms, great free continental breakfast
  • Disliked — water temp in shower could have been hotter
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
choop667
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

it was gross we found out when we were checking out that it allowed pets and thats made it even worse. my daughter is allergic to pets and she had an asthma attack while we were there and that is what we narrowed it down to hopefully we wil never have to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hotelrep238, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center, responded to this review, January 28, 2009
The only "complaint" listed was regarding that pets were allowed at our property. This is a brand standard of all Residence Inns, and cannot be changed.

Therefore, this complaint should not be allowed to post on this website.

**In addition, our official name for our hotel is " Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center"

Please correct.
Southwest FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

This hotel was not easy to find so I would suggest calling the front desk for directions before attempting it on your own. The front desk staff was friendly but after lugging my bags up to the 9th floor, I found that they didn't activate my key correctly and I couldn't get in my room. This was frustrating as is but moreso because I was in a hurry (being behind schedule because I couldn't find the hotel!). I called the desk from the courtesy phone and they told me to come down so they could fix the key. It would have been nice if they'd had someone bring a new key up to me so I didn't have to drag my luggage up and down again. The room itself was decent, clean, and comfortable. I did have to search for the TV remote for a while before realizing that there wasn't one. I called the desk to have one sent up but it didn't arrive by the time I was leaving for the evening. Checking out early the next morning was also somewhat unpleasant. I had to get to the airport and the woman at the desk did not know how to process my Marriott gift certificates. I actually couldn't wait any longer or I would have missed my plane so I asked her to just notify me once it was settled. She also forgot to give me a key or coin to get out of the parking deck, which I didn't realize until I was at the exit. I had to repark the car and go back into the hotel just so I could get out. Irritating. All in all, the room was nice but if you have high expectations for customer service, I'd skip this place.

• Liked — Room layout
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

We visited family in Pittsburgh and for the first time couldn't stay with them. Our family suggested this hotel which was nearby. I cannot say enough nice things about every staff member that we came in contact with, save one. They were everything we could ask for--kind, gracious and hospitable. Valorie, the night clerk was exceptional, she went out of her way to find a battery charger left behind and make sure that the proper person mailed it out immediately!

Apparently, many who stay here also take treatment or have loved ones being attended to by the University Medical Center. The rooms are clean, spacious and very, very comfortable. They offer free grocery shopping, a full kitchen, we had a good sized living room, small dining table, desk, free internet, very comfortable bed (only queen sized are available).Their "free continental breakfast" was fresh and offered many choices. They also offer evening receptions and other distractions for guests who have longer stays.
It's not the Four Seasons, but it was a surprisingly pleasant experience and a good value, so I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

We had a rental car so I cannot comment on their shuttle transportation or access to public transit.

• Liked — very comfortable bed, large suite like room and the friendly attitude
  • Disliked — The $13.50 parking charge each day!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center? Share your experiences!