“Farther Away from Downtown but Close Enough” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #36 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Farther Away from Downtown but Close Enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed here over a weekend while in town for a Pirates game. The Steelers were also at home which made hotel rooms a bit scarce but I was able to stay on reward certificates for both nights. The hotel is a bit far from downtown and due to the hills and roads of Pittsburgh is farther away than it would seem, but driving in Pittsburgh is not terrible and parking is relatively cheap. My room, a 1 bedroom suite, did not appear as worn and dated as others have experienced. The hotels layout is a bit complicated and does require using two separate elevators but the layout does flow well. The complimentary breakfast was your usual hot breakfast fare and nothing spectacular.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Harrisburg, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was exactly what I was expecting. The decor is a little dated but our room was very clean including the bathroom. The breakfast had a nice selection of your typical continental breakfast. This hotel is definitely not within walking distance of downtown. But there are other restaurants near by. it's a bit difficult to get downtown. The hotel has a shuttle that will take you wherever you want to go and they are very helpful in finding locations and giving recommendations. But the cab situation in Pittsburgh is TERRIBLE! In all of my previous visits I had stayed downtown and never knew about the cab problem. If you're planning on going out downtown and cabbing it to and from you may want to consider another location.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Peoria, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

If you are going to be spending time downtown, I would stay downtown. I did not like the location. Pittsburgh roads are a mess and there are no taxi cabs. The staff was friendly but they told me they were going to do a few things and then forgot to do them. The hotel is dated and there was blood on the pillow case when I arrived. On the plus side, it was cheaper than the hotels downtown, parking is convenient, breakfast was great, and the room size was large. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I visited Pittsburgh with two girlfriends to prepare for my sons wedding and we spent the night at this lovely hotel. The service was fantastic, the manager hosted a reception in addition to tasty breakfast. They have a van that will take anyplace you want to go, plus make recommendations for any type of restaurant. We completely enjoyed our short stay and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed one night at the Residence Inn, Pittsburgh University/Medical Center for a college visit at Pitt. I had high hopes for this stay based on a friendly conversation with the front desk in advance of the stay. We knew we would have a very late arrival after a long drive and would be ready for bed immediately. I called to confirm the late arrival and to ensure that the fold out couch would be made up when we arrived. The woman who answered was very upbeat and assured me that everything would be ready for us to fall into bed upon arrival.

As others have mentioned, the entry is a bit strange, but I was ready for this and knew to go to the second floor lobby. However, once I got there, the front desk staff person seemed uninterested in helping me and appeared fairly disheveled.. like maybe he'd been sleeping somewhere. Once I got his attention and checked in, I again confirmed that the couch was made up and got his assurance that it was. We parked the car, dragged the luggage to the room (it's after midnight now) and... surprise of surprises... the sofa bed was not made. I called downstairs to have someone come up and while we were waiting a very loud fight broke out in the hall. I called the front desk again and got no answer. In the meantime, another guest broke up the fight. (Phew!)

While we were waiting for someone to deal with the sofa bed, we had the chance to look around the room. Everything was extremely worn and ready for replacement. The bedroom was tiny with no place to put a suitcase... not even a stand. We ended up putting one on top of the safe in the closet and another on the coffee table.

My daughter - who is often stuck on a fold out couch - said it was the worst she'd ever slept on with a very think mattress and lots of uncomfortable hardware beneath.

In the morning, the breakfast was so so... better than some we've had, worse than others. The 'make-it-yourself' waffles were the best of the assorted items we tried.

The parking was an issue as we left since no one gave us any sort of ticket to escape the garage even though we'd paid for the parking. (we didn't get a ticket when we pulled in, so didn't expect to need one as we pulled out). My husband had to back the car up and re-park the car while I ran in to find someone to help us.

A few days later we stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott (near Granville Ohio) that was very nice and just highlighted how poorly maintained and managed the Residence Inn actually is.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was our fourth stay at this property and up till now we always enjoyed it. However, this time the room had an unpleasant oder (so much so that I washed all my clothing when I returned home to get the smell out!) The upolstered furniture in the room was soiled and in need of being updated. Not the nice property that I remembered. The complimentary breakfast was still pretty good though.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before you finalize your room selection to make sure that it smells okay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed here to tour the University of Pittsburgh during one of their ready set Pitt program weekends. The hotel was nice and clean. The staff was friendly and accommodating. We loved the free shuttle service and didn't have to move the car. Breakfast was included and was the usual. The pool was clean. The only downside was that the wifi was not working. I mentioned this when we checked out and they waived our parking fee. Should we return to the area I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center? Share your experiences!