“Some nice features, but a couple problems” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #38 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
Hudson Valley, New York
“Some nice features, but a couple problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I recently stayed at the Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center for two nights, while touring Univ. Pittsburgh with my son. There were a number of nice things about this hotel, such as an excellent breakfast buffet, and comfortable room with kitchenette, but we ran into a couple of snags.

The biggest problem was that our room was incredibly hot, the first night, no matter how we adjusted the confusing temperature control. Eventually, after neither of us could fall asleep because of the heat, I finally called the front desk at midnight, and they sent up the night guard who had a special key to open the windows, to let in the fresh, winter air. That helped dramatically, and I wish I had called the front desk hours earlier about that problem. After that, we just kept those windows open a crack and we were comfortable.

Also, when we first arrived at the hotel, we inquired about taking the shuttle to Univ. Pittsburgh the following morning, only to be told that there were no openings left in the van. This was a major disappointment, since we didn't know the roads. However, quickly, they figured out that there would be a second van in the morning, and we got signed up for that one, so it eventually worked out ok.

Third, one of the reasons I chose this hotel was the availability of a hot tub, but it was out of order while we were there. Hopefully, it has been fixed.

On the plus side, the room was comfortable (bedroom plus kitchenette, sofabed in living area). Also, the breakfast was tasty and had a number of hot options (such as homefry potatoes with onions and peppers) and delicious chocolate muffins. The business center worked well, when I needed computer access.

Also, there is one restaurant within easy walking distance: Zarro's, across the street. It is a friendly place, with unique decor, and we had a very nice, and memorable meal there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed in this hotel. The first time was February 2010. We were here then and now for the Big East Swimming Championships. I was glad the team parents decided to stay here a second time. I enjoyed the hotel and the shuttle service they provide is exceptional. The hotel is clean and the staff could not be friendlier.

The difference this time is that we brought our dog. We have a 90lb Chesapeake Bay Retriever and he was very comfortable at the hotel. The only problem bringing a big dog is that Pittsburgh doesn't have lots of green space for him to do his business. We found lots of roads up above the hotel to walk him and actually enjoyed the walks. (sweating up the hills and freezing down the hills) Be prepared to walk hills if you bring a pet. The hotel does provide a pet area but it really is for small pets, but it is nice.

Since we brought the pet we decided to eat most meals in. Everything in the room was in working order and there was plenty of pots & pans to do cooking. If you like Italian food less than two miles from the hotel is "Pittsburgh Little Italy" There are lots of shops to buy fresh pasta, sauce and bread to enjoy. Also there is a gourmet Giant Eagle not to far from the hotel which had lots of things to buy for cooking in a hotel.

Overall my experience the second time was no different than the first. Which says a lot since the trips were 24 months apart. The standards at this hotel are completely maintained.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Harrisville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

After traveling the world for fun, I came home to an emergency health problem that placed my husband in the Montefire Hospital in Pittsburgh. Needing a place to stay, rather than drive 56 miles daily, I booked into the Inn. I can't tell you what a relief it was to find staff so willing to help me find the best rooms, lovely, clean, and welcoming. The staff was so helpful and ready to listen when I needed to unload my fears and concerns. They arranged transportation to and from the hospital, had my luggage down when requested and the shuttle drivers were so polite and, actually, made me laugh and relax. I can tell you about the beautiful rooms, the clean sheets, comfortable bed, fantastic breakfast and evening buffet, but the staff!!!!! They were the best.! In the end, all was well with my husband, but I shall never forget how this establishment helped me through a very anxious time. I probably didn't tip enough, but here's lifting a glass to "Class"

Room Tip: Don't worry, they are all "classy"
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

we stayed for two nights for a hockey tournament. The rooms were a nice size and the breakfast was good. The hotel is not located near downtown and the photo that they post is not what the hotel looks like at all. It was a little confusing riding the elevators -but otherwise the hotel was fine. Next time I would prefer a hotel more in city center.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

This hotel is located less than a mile from Univ of Pitt. The walk from Pitt back to hotel was about 20 minutes with a pretty consistent incline (nice little workout!). For those who want something more convenient, the hotel offers a shuttle service with very pleasant and knowledgeable drivers. Check with the front desk on shuttle times (they run until 8:45pm) and the drivers are literally a phone call away!

My daughter and I stayed in a 1 bdrm suite. The pull-out sofa was fairly uncomfortable but I've yet to really find one that is. The room was clean and comfortable.

Breakfast buffet is served until 9:30 and they have the basics - pastries, eggs, sausage, fruits and cereals.

The fitness center is open 24/7 with card key access. It's pretty basic but the equipment is in good condition.

Parking is $12.50 in their garage and it's the cheapest I've found. Plus, after you check out, if you still need to stay in town but want to leave your car in the garage, you can. The front desk will give you a token to leave the garage and you don't get charged for the extra day.

Staff was really great. Very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

It was ok but it should have been less expensive. $40-$50 less would have made it well worth it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

This hotel was just ok. There wasn't anything major that was bad, but a couple things did turn me off. I lost the TV signal for the HD channels about 8:30pm. The juice machine wasn't working at breakfast. They should have put up a sign. The room could have used some overall updating.

For the amount of money I paid, I expected more from this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center? Share your experiences!