“A Comfortable Historical Hotel in an Interesting City” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Los Angeles, California
“A Comfortable Historical Hotel in an Interesting City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

My wife and I spent seven days at this hotel. Our spacious room had a view of the river. We appreciated the history of the hotel and the quality of the modern restroom. The staff were always helpful. The hotel was close to an excellent gyro place so we never ate at the hotel and don't know anything about the hotel's food quality. The lobby was beautiful. We enjoyed walking down the stairs into the lobby every morning.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Great location, beautiful lobby, clean rooms with high ceilings and comfortable beds. RIght across the bridge from PNC. No reason to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Fairfield, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

We were in town for a wedding and the bride and groom blocked rooms here for out of state guests such as ourselves. Renaissance is a Marriott property and I was pleased to be able to earn Marriott Rewards points during my stay. I am a frequent business traveler and stay at Marriotts quite often. Anyway, the front desk agent was amazing, I wish I remembered her name. She was wonderful. She noted my Marriott rewards number and assigned us to an absolutely gorgeous corner room with huge windows on two sides, overlooking the river and PNC Park. We could not have asked for better! The room was very clean and the bed was supremely comfortable. They had forgotten to give us our gift bag from the bride and groom upon check-in and we had pretty much written it off but soon enough someone came knocking on our door with the bag in hand, without us even having to have mentioned it.

I did hear that parking is $25 a day plus whatever you want to tip them, we did not have car so it did not effect us but I can see how that could add up. There is a garage across the street, not sure if that is any cheaper.

There is no pool in the hotel but apparently guests can use the Bally's next door for their pool, gym and hottub.

The location is great and the bell staff and doormen are excellent as well. I would stay here again without any qualms whatsoever. In fact we didn't want to pack up to leave after two nights...we wished we had one more night here to cozy up and relax in this beautifully classic building and especially our comfortable room with its amazing views. All in all Pittsburgh was a pleasant surprise as was this hotel - we can't wait to go back and visit both again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Niagara Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We received this hotel through using online booking site, priceline.com. We called 4 days prior to confirm that we could get 2 beds in the room since there was 4 of us traveling. They said they would put in our request. When we arrived, Matt was our check in person. He was great! Very friendly, outgoing and we did indeed have our 2 queen beds in our room. Our room was very spacious with nice view of Heinz Field and PNC Park. We were 25 minutes away from Waterfront which is a great entertainment complex with a cinema with 22 screens, shopping and some great restaurants. Parking was easy, only 5 bucks a day across the street. We got pizza from the place a couple doors over from our hotel and is was pretty good. We had a few beers at a little greek restaurant bar while waiting for our pizza and also at the bar right next door. Fairly decent neighborhood bars. I would suggest this hotel to anyone that was going to the Pittsburgh area in the future.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

I am relocating to Pittsburgh next year and will not be recommending this hotel to family and friends who may be visiting. Although the experience was not entirely negative, there is no reason to give them the business.

I will give the hotel the benefit of the doubt by saying that Hotels.com was a poor choice to use as a booking agent, however, the Renaissance didn't make an effort to recover from Hotels.com's mistake. Hotels.com incorrectly assigned me to a room with insufficient beds and when I brought it to the attention of the front desk staff, they were short with me and made no effort to capitalize on a perfect service recovery opportunity. They shut me down and didn't even bother to look to see if there were other rooms or options available. Although this wasn't their fault, they could have made me a happy customer by trying to make the situation more desirable for me.

The room was small, nothing special, with a very small window placed in the corner of the room. It was by no means a room that I would have wanted to spend a substantial amount of time in. Housekeeping did a nice job and were friendly in the halls.

The phone wasn't working correctly and the Internet in the room was slow. I passed this message along to the Front Desk, but neither issue was addressed (phone was still not working when we checked out). Although these issues are minor, it goes to show that the staff isn't particularly dedicated to meeting the needs of its customers.

The valet staff was friendly and actually provided a higher level of customer service to us than the Front Desk. Also, there was a bellhop named Michael (I think) who was extremely personable, friendly and seemed genuinely interested in who we were, where we were from and what brought us to Pittsburgh. That gesture went a long way, much further than anything else did during our stay.

I've only stayed at 2 hotels in Pittsburgh, but I can imagine that my time and money would have been better spent at any of the other properties in the city.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I have stayed in many, and The Renaissance is by far the most elegant, upscale hotel in Pittsburgh. The location is ideal for football (Go Steelers!) and baseball (Go Bucs!), theater, museums, dining and shopping. The marble lobby is beautiful, and the service is always excellent. Upgrade to a corner room if possible - the river view is fantastic. I enjoy The Bridge Bar on site, and notable bars nearby are Olive or Twist (across the street) and Bosa Nova. There is also a roof top lounge at Six Penn Kitchen on the corner. I am not impressed by the on site restaurant, Opus. It is in need of some updating, and with all the fine dining to choose from in the city it just doesn't cut it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

We were just in Pittsburgh for one night. Great location - and even with a baseball game going on we could find a parking spot in the deck across the street - so not a problem. Nice staff, great, large room, lounge breakfast was plenty. Absolutely gorgeous lobby!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel? Share your experiences!