“Quintessential Pittsburgh” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 57 Activities in Pittsburgh
Type: Neighborhoods, Food & Drink
Activities: Shopping, Nightlife
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on a narrow strip of land in a flood plain, scenic neighborhood features historic points of interest such as Senator John Heinz Regional History Center and Pennsylvania Railroad Fruit Auction Building.
13 attraction reviews
“Quintessential Pittsburgh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

The Strip is one of those places that defines Pittsburgh for me. From the amazing selection of fresh fish at Wholleys, to waiting in line for breakfast at DeLuca's, to the awesome deli at Penn Mac, and the huge selection of sports team apparel at Yinzers, the Strip helps define Pittsburgh. Just walking down the street is an awe inspiring experience for the senses. Quirky clothes, fresh flowers, produce, food vendors....it is all here!
This is an older yet vibrant section of the city that doesn't reek of modernization like other areas of the city... the buildings are older, the parking a little tight. Business goes on here as it has for years.
The Strip is a place i love to come to and hate to leave. It really does help define the city for me.

Chicago
61 attraction reviews
“Quick walk thru strip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I must have walked down the wrong strip last week while in Pittsburgh b/c I am not sure I would recommend that someone go out of their way to come here shopping. My husband and I were staying in the area and decided to walk around last week, and we did go into a few shops but there was nothing much to them. I felt that Smallman Street shops were pretty much non-existent and very deserted (with not much of a sidewalk to walk on). Penn St had more shops but nothing great - just little rinky dink shops. We walked the 'strip' in less then 30 minutes and didn't buy a thing.

Visited August 2013
Goshen, Indiana
25 attraction reviews
“We had a great time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We visited The Strip with our adult son on a Saturday morning and loved the atmosphere. There were a lot of people, but I did not feel like I was too crowded. We enjoyed the ethnic bakeries, restaurants, and grocery stores. So much good food! Even found a great chocolate shop and fresh flowers.
We paid $5 for all day parking along an old warehouse - there are attendants who flag you when they have a spot available. You have to walk a block up to "The Strip", but I felt it was well worth it.

GEORGETOWN
11 attraction reviews
“great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Only in Pittsburgh can you get this great experience! Street vendors, stores and great resturants!! LOVE THIS PLACE

Visited August 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
11 attraction reviews
“True Pittsburgh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Ok, I have always lived in Pittsburgh and I STILL love to visit the strip. Especially during Steelers season. Get there early, around 9 is best. Go straight down smallman-I think that's what its called- til you see a big church in front of you, go to the left of the church. right after you pass the church you'll see a little alley on your right. Turn in and then go up and turn left into the parking lot. Its a great location for everywhere you want to go AND its only $5. You MUST buy: a crazy steelers shirt or hat off one of the street vendors, some bread off the street vendor- the pepperoni bread is the best I have EVER had in my life, get some baked goods, and you MUST stop into a little store (close to the church but one street up) called Art and Steel. Its my favorite shop in the world. The have the most unique gifts and home decor. Very cool and not expensive. My girls love to go in a get a cool rock or geode. They have very pretty earrings too. The strip district is a must stop if you're visiting Pittsburgh or you need a little taste of the city. You never know what you're going to find!!! Explore!