“NA CL” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Salt of the Earth

Salt of the Earth
5523 Penn Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15206-3512 (Downtown)
412-441-7258
Neighborhood: Downtown
Pittsburgh
“NA CL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I just visited Salt Of The Earth on Saturday (7/27) for my second time and after recommending it to a friend. I have been so bored with the attempts of so many local restaurants to project an image of "haute cuisine" without understanding what they are serving that I rarely eat out in this city anymore! Having said this, I must say I am totally impressed with not just the quality of the food at Salt of the Earth, but it's execution and presentation! I consider their menu to be rather "pricey", yet each time I visited, I felt totally satisfied with the quality of what I was paying for. Their menu changes frequently, so there's no point in recommending a particular dish because it will be replaced by something equally wonderful. Suffice to say, whatever you order, it will be prepared in the most creative, appealing , and tasty way possible! My only problem is the menu is written on the large chalkboard in handwriting and I find it quite difficult to read from where I am sitting. I just get up and walk over to read it because this is a small inconvenience compared to the magnificence that is served!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Bland over-priced food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Never again. Biggest waste of money in Pittsburgh. A 4 oz piece of bland overcooked salmon floating in water with 9 1/2 inch peaces of limp celery are not a main course. It was served at the bottom of a large bowl (12" across and 8" deep). Could hardly see the salmon. This for $18.00. Pretentious and trendy but not worth it.

No, no no, never again

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Saskatoon, Canada
“Refined cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Went for dinner with friends - it's a hip and bustling place with sophisticated contemporary food. The pairings and accompaniments were inventive but didn't overwhelm the main ingredient. I started with the soft shell crab and then had hanger steak for my main. Nice variety of wines available by the glass. I did have a problem with my first course, but the staff dealt with it apologetically and professionally.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Reminds me of every Philly restaurant in 2010”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Salt's food is pretty good and, for a time, it was my go-to when friends from NY, San Fran, or DC came to visit. It's definitely among the few contemporary eateries in the 'burgh (of which there has been and continues to be a wealth of across the state in Philly, as indicated by my title of this review). If you're in the mood for well prepared small plates, Salt is a great bet. I stopped going, however, because, after the third time dealing with the same inept, rude waiter -- something I eventually spoke to management about -- I decided this place got enough of my money. There are plenty of wonderful little gems in Pgh I can take my out-of-town guests to without fear of terrible, embarrassing service. So, based on my experience, Salt gets an 'excellent' to 'very good' rating for food and atmosphere, but 'poor' to 'terrible' for service, hence the middle-of-the-road overall rating.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, MD
“Foodie's Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was our second visit to Salt of the Earth and we were just as impressed as the first time. The chef(s?) have an incredible and creative knack for combining flavors that is truly amazing. I, once again, had a red-meat dish and what a treat. Hanger steak with collards, bacon, and potato salad. I can't begin to describe the sauce, but it was amazing. The duck was also fantastic with a pea puree and several other flavors that I don't even remember. Dessert was incredible. The rhubarb/white chocolate and the chocolate with marshmallow -- wow!!
The point is that they change the menu seasonally (at least) and they do a great job.
We sat upstairs this time, which was a more genteel experience and enjoyable in a quieter way than the main floor - which has its own charm.
If you are in Pittsburgh, you must try Salt of the Earth.

• Visited April 2013