“A new unique restaurant in Pittsburgh” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“A new unique restaurant in Pittsburgh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

My wife and I recently went on a Friday night to Salt of the Earth for dinner. The place is very popular in Pittsburgh and was packed.

Service: our service was pleasant. The time between meals was a little long as I think the kitchen got slammed with orders all at once. However, no real complaints about service.

Food: the dishes are very much a love/hate type of cuisine. The combinations are unique, sometimes weird, but always an adventure. If successful, the dish will wow you with intense flavor that you do not expect. However, sometimes the experimentation can go a bit far for the palate. My wife loved her perfectly cooked scallops combined with chorizo. My trout was perfectly cooked and the avocado was a nice compliment, but the buckwheat and tamarind did not work as well for me. I recommend the beef tartare and sashimi appetizers to anyone. All the desserts are pretty good here.

Atmosphere: The restaurant has the feel of an NYC restaurant, very trendy and modern. I prefer the upper floor where you can talk a bit more and not get interrupted as much as the communal table below. Be sure to make reservations if you want this upper floor.

Value: The prices are on the more expensive side for a Pittsburgh restaurant, but the portions are generous.

Overall, in terms of molecular gastronomy, a very successful restaurant. We look forward to going back, but be prepared to pay a bit more than usual.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Interesting and Tasty Dishes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

The food here is very interesting and not for people who are afraid to try new things. The food is prepared in creative and nontraditional ways. If you give it a try though, you will be pleasantly surprised because it is delicious. The chicken liver appetizer was fantastic. I never had chicken livers before and I'm not a big fan of liver in general, but I tried this dish and the mix of flavors was intense and wonderful. The snail appetizer and the scallops with bananas were also great. My husband ordered the flat iron and it was not your traditional steak. What a treat. I tried the skate main course and although I learned that I simply don't like the flavor of skate (it had nothing to do with how the skate was prepared because the preparation made the skate as good as it could be), I loved everything else served with the dish. The dessert was some type of white chocolate and it was one of the best desserts that I've had in Pittsburgh. I found the downstairs dining room to be a bit crowded and the seating uncomfortable, but the food made up for those drawbacks. I will definitely come back.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
pittsburgh
“Lives up to all of the reviews!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

My kids have been enjoying this restaurant for months, but this was our first time to experience Salt. We did not have reservations so we ate at the counter facing the chefs. This just added to the great time we had at the restaurant. We conversed with the cooks and highly enjoyed watching the coordinated staff prepare the plates . My wife had researched about 30 food items that were on the nights menu that we had never used or had heard of. They incorporated them in wonderful entre's and appetizers that were enjoyed by all four people in our group. We will definitely go back to this gem of a restaurant.

• Visited May 2011