“Great Saturday Night Dinner!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Habitat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 1,899 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 5th and Liberty
Description: restaurant in hotel of fairmont
Pittsburgh
“Great Saturday Night Dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

My group of friends and I tried Habitat for dinner for the first time. Was a great experience. Our waiter was very attentive and made great recommendations on entrees. He even brought out the naan bread and the evening's selection of spreads without us asking as he could see we were clearly catching up and hadn't made a decision on the appetizers. The pork chop was extremely good and the other guests in our party raved about the duck and the king crab pasta dish. We will be coming back. Looking forward to trying their Sunday brunch!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“One of Pittsburgh's Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We frequently lunch at "Habitat" where the value simply can't be beat. Their service is impeccable and the imaginative menu is ever-changing. I personally appreciate the emphasis on fresh, local ingredients, which conveys a commitment to caring that spills over into every aspect of the dining experience here. The atmosphere is minimalist sophistication, but there are lots of fun touches like the fundraising Frog Pitchers and the Space Age french fry caddies. "Habitat" is upscale without being uptight. An equally great place for dining before your evening out at the theatre, for a leisurely Sunday Brunch, or even for a really important occasion.

Because I feel strongly that their service level has greatly improved in the past year, I am raising my rating to 5*'s. Well Done!

• Visited October 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Locally-sourced food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Overall, we really, really enjoyed our meal here.

I'm not going to comment too much on the food specifically, as I understand it was the last week for the particular menu we had, so that wouldn't be terribly useful for future visitors. However, I will say that everything I ate was perfectly executed, and the portions were generous. At this level of cooking, any criticism is just being nitpicky. We were able to taste most of the dessert menu - definitely save room!

The waitstaff was very well informed, helpful, and professional. We didn't sit very near to the kitchen, which was fine with me because I think it could have been a bit distracting. According to my Foursquare checkin, the frog water pitchers are for sale, though I didn't ask!

We ate here for dinner, I'd like to try it for lunch sometime, I'd be interested in comparing. Overall, I thought the value at this price level was really quite good and the food stands up to the other restaurants in Pittsburgh in its category.

• Visited October 2012
Flemington, NJ
“With a decent wine list this could be so much better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Habitat is quite a departure from the typical meat and potatoes fare that nearly suffocates this town. But it is a welcome departure. Tasty, healthy food and a very pleasant environment. Good fish choices in a city short on that path. And human portions (although they are considered small in these parts) that leave you sated but not bloated. The wait staff tries a bit too hard and their knowledge is fairly superficial, but they are very attentive.

Now my one disappointment. The wine list does not do justice to the food, most notably the whites. With fish like the black cod and walleye and the way they are prepared they are screaming for a crisp Burgundian white. A Chablis or Pouilly-Fuisse would be fine - we don't need anything fancy, but the only Chards are the gooey oaky California varieties. I won't repeat what I was told about how decisions were made about what to put on the wine list, but lets just say it wasn't flattering to Pittsburghians.

But if you don't care so much about food and wine pairing, the food is fabulous and what's not to like? Just recognize that you come to Habitat for fine dining, not for chowing down.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
“Service Great - Food Quality Poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The Naan bread and beet salad were great. My wife ordered the halibut. It was undercooked with tons of bones. We sent the entree back and it was returned undercooked and actually quite raw. I ordered the lamb. It was so tough I could not cut into it or eat it. The manager was cordial in offering us a credit, but I see no reason why a restaurant with this reputation would serve meals like this. Totally unsatisfactory! Will absoluletly not return to this establishment. Despite the bad experience, the service was excellent.

• Visited September 2012