“Outstanding Thai food in Pittsburgh!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Outstanding Thai food in Pittsburgh!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

After bemoaning the fact that I had a not so great Thai lunch a few weeks back, I got some messages from fellow Yelpers that I should try Nicky's Thai Kitchen. This place is only half a mile away from my North Shore office.

It's tucked away on a beautiful block of Western Avenue. I would have driven by this place had it not been for my GPS alerting me to the fact that it was on my right! I lucked out and got a parking space right in front of the entrance - street parking only, no lot, so factor that in to your lunch break if you are like me and on a tight schedule.

I got there about 12:45pm so it wasn't quite the lunch rush. Good thing because there are just a few tables for dine in service. They were doing a very brisk takeout service.

I went with my old Thai standby:
- Pad Thai with chicken and tofu, medium spice

It was cooked perfectly and absolutely delicious. I asked for the spice tray which was very comprehensive: Sambal, Thai chiles in fish sauce, dried red pepper flakes and something else I couldn't identify (sugar? that doesn't make sense but that's my guess). The Pad Thai was very tasty without it tasting like a ton of MSG. It even came with soup (chicken rice today) and a little crab rangoon.

The damage including tip was right at $15 (Pad Thai plus $2 extra for tofu and $2 for a Diet Coke). A little pricy for lunch, but well worth it.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
“Best Thai in the burgh...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Nicky's is quality. I walked in to the old brownstone turned Thai restaurant with take out on my mind. As soon as I walked in I was offered a cup of hot tea which was very nice. I ordered a veg pad Thai, chicken pad Thai, crab rangoons, fresh (not fried) spring rolls, and chicken satay. I didn't have a single complaint. The food was incredible! The sauces were spot on. The rangoons were perfect. Five satay skewers not three like most spots. Three large apps and two large entrees were $42. Worth every penny in my opinion. They have a very small dining room and I believe it's byob. Great little spot that's definitely worth a visit.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding food and excellent menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed our dinner. The food and service were great! The menu offered a wide variety of appetizers and entrees, and it was hard to choose which to try. The seating area is on the small side, so I would encourage you to get a reservation just in case. We were there on a Thursday night and there were only a few open tables when we arrived.

Visited November 2012
Delmont
“Great dining experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

My mother wanted Thai, and we don't really have this kind of food in the Delmont Murrysville area, so based on several reviews, we chose Nicky's. I'm glad we did! We had no reservation, but didn't have to wait long. We were seated next to a rear door where there was a cold draft, so we asked to move. It took a while, but we were accommodated. The food was fantastic!! We shared an appetizer and ordered a soup. I didn't care for the soup however my mother did. The appetizer was fantastic. I had pumpkin red curry chicken, also fantastic. The menu is enormous, and I can't wait to go back! My only problem will be whether to order the same dish because it was so awesome or try something else......

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, PA
“Got take-out twice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Got take-out on 2 occassions. I've had better pad thai in Pittsburgh (for cheaper), but I liked the white meat chicken in the dish. Plus this place is closer to us. The restaurant does have a cool atmosphere with outdoor seating.

Visited September 2012