“In 35 year's of traveling this was by far the worst stay I've ever encountered.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works

Save Saved
You added SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2950 South Water Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203 (Southside Flats)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #35 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The receptionist outright lied to me upon arrival. Telling me no rooms were available, even though I made my reservation months prior. After 30 minutes (!!!) She finally assigned a room to me, but then the maid service (outside my room) told me there were loads of rooms available.

The rooms are directly next to railroad tracks, which the train comes by blaring its horn every hour on the hour. The elevators sound like they're falling apart and ....if the trains don't keep you awake all night long,....the noisy elevators will!!

When I complained about this 'Mindy' said, "Ahhh like ok"..A real professional behind the desk!!

Its like I was in "My Cousin Vinny #2"

Never again!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Philly
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. It appears to be new and everything is in great shape and it is very clean. The location is the issue. On the upside, it is conveniently located within a very short walk to Southside Works and all of its shops and restaurants and a little further walk to Carson Street and its shops and restaurants. On the downside, the back of the property is within 20 yards of an active freight train track and as these trains enter the nearby tunnel, they sound their horns. In the nights we stayed, there were 2-3 trains per night. It was not awful, but it was noticeable. The front desk was unable to accommodate our request to move to the river (front) side – that might be only hope for quiet since the back and the sides are impacted by the tracks.

This is a very nice, very clean, very convenient hotel but I will not return because of the trains. Nothing against the staff or the condition of property but when it came down to it, my stay was not comfortable because of the trains.

$14 for parking seemed excessive given that it is was not downtown, but I guess that is the going rate.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front (river) side are the only hope for quiet.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I wouldn't say I had a bad experience with my stay. The Springhill Suites is obviously more expensive and upscale within the Marriott. The property is well-maintained, clean and spacious. The rooms are large and the layout is good. I really like the mirror in the bathroom. I felt the staff were a bit cold at this property. They were not rude or anything like that, but I didn't get the welcoming feel. Time and time again, I feel the Courtyard chain works for me every time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Niagara, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel is a good choice if you're intending to spend time touring the southside flats. It was great to get a room for 3 people with separate beds, and within reasonable walking distance to great restaurants and bars. They offer a shuttle service to nearby hot spots, but if you're heading anywhere in the flats you can probably walk it, and avoid the lineup and the wait for the shuttle. The rooms are large and comfortable.

The fairly costly parking on site is still probably a better deal than the public parking garages across the road, especially if you need in/out privileges. The complimentary breakfast is fine for grabbing something quick on the way out. And, having read on this site about the trains nearby, I knew they could be an issue during our stay. I can attest that they are certainly real, and for some reason they sound the horn as they pass close to the hotel. I definitely noticed it but it didn't bother me and wouldn't deter me from staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed there over the weekend and enjoyed the location of the hotel. There is a bike path outside the hotel and it was beautiful for a run/walk in the morning. They offer a continental breakfast in the morning. We don't like renting cars in areas where we don't know the city. They offer a shuttle service to most places which is convenient and we loved it. We had Max on Friday evening and most of Saturday taking us to restaurants, the incline, the ballgame. He is great!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I really would have appreciated knowing that trains would be running right by my room at all hours of the night, blaring their horns repeatedly. But then I guess this hotel wouldn't get any business if they warned guests of that. Should have read the reviews before I booked...The other downside: Breakfast was basically a disaster. Too crowded, not enough seating. There were no eggs left when I got there, even though there was an hour to go for breakfast. They were replenished after 20 minutes. Too bad I waited for what looked and tasted like powdered eggs. Breakfast crew seemed not quite experienced/professional. One staff member taking waaay too long to get something from a cabinet and blocking the hot trays (guests waiting three deep for her to finish). Another staffer bringing out a plastic container of strawberries (as in, the kind you buy from the supermarket) and dumping them into a serving tray. I really hope those strawberries were washed first. Why not fill the tray in the kitchen? Don't "ruin the magic" for the guests. I would have given 2 stars, but the place looks pretty nice and the room set-up was very comfortable, so I'll be generous. But I won't return, simply because of the train noise.Why Marriott chose to build a hotel over a very busy train track is beyond me.

Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Overall this is a very nice hotel located in the Southside Works area. The property is very clean and well-kept, however the miniature pillows for the bed really are annoying and distract from the overall comfort of the room. Replace the miniature pillows with full-sized ones soonest.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works? Share your experiences!